• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
My comment was with regards to RAID NVMe M.2 as mentioned, so using a PCIE 2.0 slot would be utterly pointless unless you are using low end drives that are much slower, and I am well aware of who uses what, ta. :)

In other news, TR 2950X are coming down ~£630 to your door.

Yep, you're right. Raid across cpu and slower chipset lanes would be a bad idea. And cool, good to hear it :)

TR I think will be improved a lot by not having to use NUMA, with the IO die being used for all the memory access.

Here's hoping they do a not stupidly priced entry cpu like the 1900 for the third gen.

Soldato
Are you telling that Intel's 5GHz level boost clocks are imaginary?
Or is Intel somehow exempt from your logic?
Firstly i never said 5Ghz was impossible and secondly what on earth does Intel have to do with this?
IBM's SOI tech isn't used anywhere near Ryzens.

Again with the strawman, i didn't say IBM's SOI was used in Ryzen, i said "that [the] common platform agreement, the strategic collaboration, the buying up of IBM's plant, process, and numerous semiconductor technology IPs" was eventually used in Ryzen and that IBM had the first working FinFet outside of Intel.
I'm not expecting any more real than Intel near 5GHz all core clocks.
(meaning if those are achieved power consumption/heat output is excessive)
But near 5GHz level boost clocks for few cores from actually designed for high performance node should be realistic.
Especially when AMD has more granular clock boosting system than Intel.
No doubt developed partially because of knowledge of very uncertain availability of high performance node with competitive clocks.

So let's approach this from the opposite direction, you and other claim Zen and Zen+ were based on a low power mature phone/tablet CPU node, yes?

And that once it's not based on that low power mature phone/tablet CPU node that it will be able to hit 5Ghz and beyond, yes?

So do tell me what design changes do you believe would enable them to achieve this, what can they now do that they couldn't do with the 12nm node, what's going to be the secret sauce that's going to make a new fabrication process and design rules achieve the lofty heights of 5Ghz?

I could be hear trying to prove a negative for the next 4-6 weeks after all, so perhaps it would be easier for others to prove a positive instead.
Can't avoid curious observation how in forums in different language speaking countries there are relatively new user accounts, whose proclamations are combined by single common theme:
That AMD can't ever catch Intel...
Bad upgradeability doesn't matter...
Intel's price levels are justified regardless of bad performance level retaining prospects...
What on earth does that have to do with anything, not only does it reek of AMD fanboy'isum but it somehow manages to bring casual xenophobia into it by saying "different language speaking countries" and along with all that it creates the worlds biggest strawman as I've not mentioned anything about AMD never being able to catch Intel, Bad upgrade-ability, Intel's price levels or bad performance level retaining prospects. :confused:

In fact if you must know i believe Zen2 (maybe Zen3) will beat Intel on a core-per-core and clock-per-clock performance level because the Zen architecture and design is better than what Intels been flogging (the same basic Core architecture) for the last decade, i believe people are getting way to hung up clock speed and are missing the bigger picture, that you don't need to brute force your way to better performance, that you can often match or beat something by thinking clever.

Last edited:
Caporegime
As long as the base clock is around 4.2GHz on 8c+ then it'll beat a 9900K running 24/7 at its TDP; 9900K clocks down to 4.2GHz itself when out of turbo (at 100% load)
Of course, at the bleeding edge it'll need to beat an overclocked 9900K for the die-hards to take note.

no its amds stupid marketing which has made this happen and die hard fans basing everything on one cinebench score. if they turn out to be slower than intel chips already out a year. this place will melt or...the excuses start to come in.

Soldato
no its amds stupid marketing which has made this happen and die hard fans basing everything on one cinebench score. if they turn out to be slower than intel chips already out a year. this place will melt or...the excuses start to come in.
Not if they're cheaper and/or provide access to higher core count chips. 90% performance at 50% price is always a winner in the marketplace.

Soldato
:p

BTW that's not doubting that you're not expecting that, it's just me being a bit of a dick by pointing out there's plenty that are expecting 5Ghz. :)

im just more careful with what I post and how i post it :D

We already saw an 8 core Zen 2 (not at final clocks) beating a 9900K in cinebench. Now, yes, this isnt in games. but can we assume that as everything else is equal that Zen 2 would beat the 9900k in games if it's beating it core for core in cinebench?

Cinebench R15 and not R20 if i can remember correctly. R15 had ryzen 2700x beating 8700k and now r20 can see it the other way around- current

Zen2 has better AVX if i recall so should equal or still be on top hopefully

Caporegime
yeah 2700x was done similarly but a 8700k is quite a bit faster in games. hope they havent just done the exact same thing again this time round. seeing how amd market there products i wouldnt be surprised. i am actually really interested how if they are slower what people are going to come up with trying to hide this. going to be entertaining. :p

Associate
yeah 2700x was done similarly but a 8700k is quite a bit faster in games. hope they havent just done the exact same thing again this time round. seeing how amd market there products i wouldnt be surprised. i am actually really interested how if they are slower what people are going to come up with trying to hide this. going to be entertaining. :p
I know some will try to hide it, but there's no point in doing so and living in denial of reality. If AMD under deliver then that's their own fault for insinuating a situation that was unreal in the first place.

I'll be interested to see the actual results of testing rather than just go off rumours and predictions.

Soldato
Intel roadmap until 2021 leaked:
https://twitter.com/witeken/status/1121052220072583174

D47FpkkWwAEmef-.jpg

10C desktop consumer CPUs until early 2021,but apparently launching next year. AMD has a massive chance if the slide is accurate!

Last edited:
Associate
I think the 16-core Zen 2 variant is completely independent of any move of the competitor. This said - it shall launch soon regardless of any news connected with intel.
They shouldn't wait too long as they want to maximise profits whilst they have a large lead.
Might as well bank profits from a 16C at 5 to 6 hundred if they have the supply to meet the demand.
The only issue apart from supply is that it might impact sales of TR too much.
So maybe they wait until they have TR3 at 7nm out at lower prices and then drop the 16C AM4 bomb. They have a lot to juggle with

Soldato
I mean Lisa has repeatedly said that Zen 2 was prepared to go against where they expected Intel to be, ie 10nm when they started work on it. So given Intel is stuck in 14nm with increasingly large die sizes, poor yields for the high end chips and worsening effeciency it's not surprising AMD are very confident.

Back
Top Bottom