• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

AMD Addressing Ryzen 3000 Overclocking Potential: "No, no comment on that just yet… in ten days, we should be pretty good."
https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/ryzen-3000-cpu-overclocking

If they're hoping to divulge more about OCing at E3 they must be confident about headroom. Or I'm just clutching at straws.

I would be very careful with that comment after their 'overclockers dream' remarks when asked a similar question about the Fury x a few years back.

To be honest i am not expecting massive gains in gaming over my 4.5 5820, but then its not about that for me.

I want the extra IO speeds, prob gunna run a raid m2 boot / application drive setup. The extra grunt from an 8 core wont be a massive upgrade for me i suppose considering the cost, going 32gig will help. Just future proofing really and getting new shiney to play with.

maybe just wait for the 12 core to come down. i think prices will change within months as most of the options are a bit dearer than needed.

realistically in most games your 5820k will be nigh on par with much of the new cpus ocd upto 8 core within a margin that makes you think is it worth upgrading to anything upto 8 core. 12 core is the logical step that is what i will probably do tbh.

Prob end up doing that as well, it "will" come down.. but when...?
I have plenty of other things to pay for in the meantime, 65inch TV sized ones as well as car shaped ones. Still saving 50 quid on a processor i dont really need ... well its prob a good idea, then again come launch day and all the reviews and performance comes out to be spectacular ... yep the piggy banks being raided :D:D:D:D

I would be very careful with that comment after their 'overclockers dream' remarks when asked a similar question about the Fury x a few years back.

Ironic that vega which plopped out afterwards was a decent overclocker, you just needed to take into account clocking ram and under volting. V56 was a decent tweekers card.

apparently there is no upgrade path worth going to though? thats a 1st gen ryzen which isnt even as quick in most games that a 8 series i5 but somehow a 8700k isnt twice as fast as a 4670k? :confused::D which you could have had about 2 years ago.

Well that's just your Diane Abbott maths, what you want to say is the 8700K is twice as fast as the 1600, But because the 1600 is twice as fast as the 4690K in games that depend heavily on multithreading your assertions just don't stack up against that. no, the 8700K isn't twice faster than the 4690K because its no where near twice as fast as a Ryzen 1600.

If I can interject....
This is all rather academic because I am going to be buying Ryzen 3000. So my 4690K will be being replaced anyway.
But yeah, im not expecting 2x or 3x the FPS in games lol. Especially at 1440p.

point is he said no worthy upgrade path you can see from 50 fps upwards from his current cpu. in many modern games. with a 2 year old cpu. move the goal posts thats a massive gain. thats the same as doing a 1060 gtx at same res to something like a 2080 ti upgrade.

Nvm ^^^

If I can interject....
This is all rather academic because I am going to be buying Ryzen 3000. So my 4690K will be being replaced anyway.
But yeah, im not expecting 2x or 3x the FPS in games lol. Especially at 1440p.

Depends on your GPU, what games you play and at what resolution.

I absolutely have seen a 2X performance improvement but then that's only in a couple of games, so far, and one of them is pretty niche.

If you play anything modern on a higher end GPU you will see significant gains.

Nvm ^^^

Depends on your GPU, what games you play and at what resolution.

I absolutely have seen a 2X performance improvement but then that's only in a couple of games, so far, and one of them is pretty niche.

If you play anything modern on a higher end GPU you will see significant gains.

pretty niche like battlefield games ? yes its a niche game. these forums lol. puts benchmark up showing massive gains. in mainstream massive game = pretty niche.

Star Citizen

Not exactly scientific as its very difficult to get consistent comparisons in this game but its close enough to make the point.

B0KnK71.jpg

6sR6qPL.png

It's obvious to extrapolate from that though that it's a game where the 1600's going to be a whole lot faster.

But it's closer to an outlier.

I certainly wouldn't make a blanket statement about the performance between the two from that game.

It's obvious to extrapolate from that though that it's a game where the 1600's going to be a whole lot faster.

But it's closer to an outlier.

I certainly wouldn't make a blanket statement about the performance between the two from that game.

I agree, i did say it was niche, it does show what the thing is capable of, its better future proofed, if you want to know how games could behave with CPU's in the future Star Citizen is a good place to look, $300m development so far and yes ahead of its time.

While other games are not that extreme its far more often than not where the 1600 wins against my old 4690K, including a couple of pretty old games.

apparently there is no upgrade path worth going to though? thats a 1st gen ryzen which isnt even as quick in most games that a 8 series i5 but somehow a 8700k isnt twice as fast as a 4670k? :confused::D which you could have had about 2 years ago.

The 8700k isn't twice as fast though. I have figures earlier which I have done side to side comparison using a GTX 1080 at 1080p very high settings and there is only the 20 odd % I stated earlier (on mobile so can't be bothered to scroll through to get figure again).

Your 2x or 3x performance is bull. Unless your on about 720p low settings. Which is not a gaming setting and just dumb.

Back
Top Bottom