• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Delighted that AMD are going to smash INTEL in the face with the new CPU launch. VERY CONCERNED however about the cost of motherboards. VERY concerned. That's a shed ton of cash just for a MOBO. Then factor in 3200 min speed of 16 gig RAM and the actual CPU, you'll not have much, IF ANY, change from £1000.

I know there's lower priced mobo's but even so. £250 for a mobo, £150 for decent RAM and 300ish for the CPU is a lot for just a bundle (700)

Then you'd need to factor in Graphics, PSU, Case, storage and OS Drives etc. I remember the days when £700 would have bought you a FULL top end gaming machine lol....*sigh* :(

So I heard that the old x370 boards might get a BIOS for the new chips.

Any ideas what the (poor) VRMs on the x370 gaming 5 gigabyte board might be up to? Could it run one of the 8C chips?

Is there an expectation that these will over clock to do all core performance at the 4.5/4.6 boost levels advertised like the Intel stuff does?

Could be a cracking cheap upgrade...

Delighted that AMD are going to smash INTEL in the face with the new CPU launch. VERY CONCERNED however about the cost of motherboards. VERY concerned. That's a shed ton of cash just for a MOBO. Then factor in 3200 min speed of 16 gig RAM and the actual CPU, you'll not have much, IF ANY, change from £1000.

I know there's lower priced mobo's but even so. £250 for a mobo, £150 for decent RAM and 300ish for the CPU is a lot for just a bundle (700)

Then you'd need to factor in Graphics, PSU, Case, storage and OS Drives etc. I remember the days when £700 would have bought you a FULL top end gaming machine lol....*sigh* :(

Many people will be thrown out of the upgrade cycle this generation because of the inflated, crazy prices.
See people with budgets around pounds 700 and below have no chance to get something true-next-gen.

AMD just joined Intel and Nvidia in the gouging game. No idea what the hell mobo manufacturers are playing at. They really shouldn't get away with it, there is TONS of competition in the mobo space. But all prices have shot up? Reeks of collusion and price fixing to me.

Yup. Forget retailer gouging. Meet mobo vendor gouging.
It is a concern because it influences the price-performance metric. It would be rather ironic if Intel took the price-performance crown whilst losing everythng else. That being said, the 9900KFC (9900KS to those easily offended) looks like it'll be damned expensive considering that the 9900K has pretty much held it's price to-date.

The B550 motherboard better be plentyfull, and well spec'd. Most of the X570's seem geared towards massive IO, and overlocking. The latter could be as bad as it was on previous generations rendering the cost pointless.

Still so many unknowns, but more and more talk of prices being silly.

Hardware Unboxed did say the MSI Ace board is expecting to be 300 for it; as the flagship as the Godlike will be a limited supply run.

So I heard that the old x370 boards might get a BIOS for the new chips.

Any ideas what the (poor) VRMs on the x370 gaming 5 gigabyte board might be up to? Could it run one of the 8C chips?

Is there an expectation that these will over clock to do all core performance at the 4.5/4.6 boost levels advertised like the Intel stuff does?

Could be a cracking cheap upgrade...

Your board tops out at "only" 240A vcore delivery @54w (ish) heat and with lower switching frequency as the top dogs, but should certainly be fine for the current release line up, providing of course Gigabyte are supporting Zen 2 on this board.

Last edited:
Tbh i wouldnt even trust using an X370 motherboard with Zen2, pretty sure the memory will remain gimped by the mobo limitations, thats why im looking at chopping in my CH6. I know the IMC is on the CPU but surely the mobo must play some role in this as well, also Asus etc will want to sell more units so i can imagine support for better speeds will be primarily on the newer mobos.

Atleast weve had 3 gens out of X370 (Zen1, Zen+ and Zen2) i mean Zen2 will run but not at its full spec, thats still cheaper overall than 3 gens on Intel, especially when they force you to upgrade your motherboard each cycle lol.

I think thats part of the reason for the increased prices, Mobo Vendors are making hay while the sun shines, they havent been able to charge a premium on AMD products til now, and with Intel taking a kicking they are shifting the over inflated prices across to AMD to compensate for the lost sales.

For me going to X570 does sting a little, as i can imagine in a year or so we will have DDR5 and PCIE5 potentially which again means a new motherboard, maybe AMD is holding out to change from Am4 til DDR5 is ready, would make sense, catch the early adopters with PCIE on X570 and then again early DDR5 adopters with X670 etc.

For me going to X570 does sting a little, as i can imagine in a year or so we will have DDR5 and PCIE5 potentially which again means a new motherboard, maybe AMD is holding out to change from Am4 til DDR5 is ready, would make sense, catch the early adopters with PCIE on X570 and then again early DDR5 adopters with X670 etc.

X670 is DDR4 and AM4 for sure, if it adds DDR5, it will be simultaneous support both DDR4 and DDR5.

Back
Top Bottom