• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

AMD had a great computex. Intel and nvidia on the other hand.

33fc4df761b64a9ef170d2c2b07f129a947110892f7a82dee76705c76c826921.png

I'm not sure why people are moaning about the motherboard prices, unless you're wanting to utilize PCIE 4.0 or do extreme overclocking on the 12C/16C variants then use the current gen.

You can grab a MSI B450 TOMAHAWK for like £90 or so.

Pick something decent from the AM4 B450/X470 Motherboard VRM Tier List and you're good to go:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...MvYeCLI5ZbIpnq5fyiWD4NCkkU/edit#gid=229691480

I'm not sure why people are moaning about the motherboard prices, unless you're wanting to utilize PCIE 4.0 or do extreme overclocking on the 12C/16C variants then use the current gen.

You can grab a MSI B450 TOMAHAWK for like £90 or so.

Pick something decent from the AM4 B450/X470 Motherboard VRM Tier List and you're good to go:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...MvYeCLI5ZbIpnq5fyiWD4NCkkU/edit#gid=229691480

For people going 6 or 8 core the TOMAHAWK would be a perfectly good board, i might just do that myself if there isn't a decent B550 board avalable for around £100, like the TOMAHAWK always was, i think the most expensive i have ever seen it was £110, its almost always been a £99 or less board and a good'n.

For people going 6 or 8 core the TOMAHAWK would be a perfectly good board, i might just do that myself if there isn't a decent B550 board avalable for around £100, like the TOMAHAWK always was, i think the most expensive i have ever seen it was £110, its almost always been a £99 or less board and a good'n.

Yep, I'd expect the VRM setups to be better across the board on B550 purely to deal with the higher end Ryzen chips.

If there's no B550 at launch I'll probably go for the X470 Pro Carbon AC or similar paired with an 3800X, first AMD chip since Athlon 64 :D

Yep, I'd expect the VRM setups to be better across the board on B550 purely to deal with the higher end Ryzen chips.

If there's no B550 at launch I'll probably go for the X470 Pro Carbon AC or similar paired with an 3800X, first AMD chip since Athlon 64 :D

Apparently there won't be B550 until next year, and it might not even be PCIe4, only 3 to keep the cost down.

So I heard that the old x370 boards might get a BIOS for the new chips.

Any ideas what the (poor) VRMs on the x370 gaming 5 gigabyte board might be up to? Could it run one of the 8C chips?

Is there an expectation that these will over clock to do all core performance at the 4.5/4.6 boost levels advertised like the Intel stuff does?

Could be a cracking cheap upgrade...

Your board tops out at "only" 240A vcore delivery @54w (ish) heat and with lower switching frequency as the top dogs, but should certainly be fine for the current release line up, providing of course Gigabyte are supporting Zen 2 on this board.

Should be fine as I draw 120A 165 Watt full tilt @3.9 all core 1.37V 1800X but that is a very heavy load.
More realistic power draw on this website with Max 103A 140 ish watts. I have the K7 which uses the same VRM 6+2x2

Apparently there won't be B550 until next year, and it might not even be PCIe4, only 3 to keep the cost down.

Then i'm getting a 400 series board, i like @Kashinoda idea tho B450 version, https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ocket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-33s-ms.html

Its still around for £110 to £120.

I don't understand why they would release the expensive boards and then make you wait what? 8 months till next year for the ones most people can afford, i'm not going to spend £200 just because that's all that's available on the new chipset, no... i'll get an older one.

So a 9900K is 50% faster but a 8700K is 3x faster?
Do you read what you type?

his cpu vs modern cpu. is two to three times faster. in games that use this well there is massive differences. look at battlefield benchmarks. nearly 100 fps in mp differences sometimes at 1080. in big battles. before the budget crowd dive in thats the same as going for something like a 750ti to a brand new 2080ti jump. at that res.yet people dont want that boost because its not amd. that boost was available 2 years ago. now amd are bringing you that same 8700 intel power at £200 2 years later and people are like wow this is amamzing intel slayer. what ? 2 years ago ! yes on a budget you would have saved £200 over 2years but you would have had 2 years of use every day and i bet the 8700 will still be faster overall in most games for the period of its life time.

remember hes on a 6 year old i5 and saying there is no point in upgrading to intel as theres no difference or worthwhile difference. there is there has been for years. he just didnt want to pay intel price. but over time it works out and you could have been happier for 2 years and still have what you have now.

people often factor in value on purchase . which is wrong. value over time often and performance. should be factored in. people have cpus for normally 3-5 years.

Then i'm getting a 400 series board, i like @Kashinoda idea tho B450 version, https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ocket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-33s-ms.html

Its still around for £110 to £120.

I don't understand why they would release the expensive boards and then make you wait what? 8 months till next year for the ones most people can afford, i'm not going to spend £200 just because that's all that's available on the new chipset, no... i'll get an older one.

I'm in the same boat, as I don't intend to OC the 3700X.
So B450 Tomahawk or Carbon.

his cpu vs modern cpu. is two to three times faster. in games that use this well there is massive differences. look at battlefield benchmarks. nearly 100 fps in mp differences sometimes at 1080. in big battles. before the budget crowd dive in thats the same as going for something like a 750ti to a brand new 2080ti jump. at that res.yet people dont want that boost because its not amd. that boost was available 2 years ago. now amd are bringing you that same 8700 intel power at £200 2 years later and people are like wow this is amamzing intel slayer. what ? 2 years ago ! yes on a budget you would have saved £200 over 2years but you would have had 2 years of use every day and i bet the 8700 will still be faster overall in most games for the period of its life time.

remember hes on a 6 year old i5 and saying there is no point in upgrading to intel as theres no difference or worthwhile difference. there is there has been for years. he just didnt want to pay intel price. but over time it works out and you could have been happier for 2 years and still have what you have now.

people often factor in value on purchase . which is wrong. value over time often and performance. should be factored in. people have cpus for normally 3-5 years.

Tell that to my £220 4690K which less than two years after purchasing was superseded by upto 90% extra performance in games with a £160 1'st gen Ryzen.

Tell that to my £220 4690K which less than two years after purchasing was superseded by upto 90% extra performance in games with a £160 1'st gen Ryzen.

apparently there is no upgrade path worth going to though? thats a 1st gen ryzen which isnt even as quick in most games that a 8 series i5 but somehow a 8700k isnt twice as fast as a 4670k? :confused::D which you could have had about 2 years ago.

Tell that to my £220 4690K which two years after purchasing was superseded by upto 90% extra performance in games with a £160 1'st gen Ryzen.

To be fair paying a little more for the 4790K would have netted you a chip that is still great today for gaming, well for me at least.

The 4 core i5's fell on their arse the year Battlefield 1 came out, I was on a 4690k then and it was horrific. The FPS jump by simply adding threads was crazy.

Yeah, you're cherry picking results to make a blanket statement like that!
I ran a 4770K and upgraded to a 1700 (Although for gaming, it wasn't exactly faster over all). 4690K for a lot of titles will be better than a 1600.

I certainly wouldn't want to be running a 4690K now and the 1600 will be better in the future though however.

Back
Top Bottom