• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
There was a full price list for MSI boards. Whole range. And they were +£100 on last gen.
copied from another thread and posted by @MassiveJim

Update 29.05.2019 16:44 clock
According to MSI, the prices posted on Monday via press release were incorrect. The final prices should be different, but they can not call the manufacturer. At the request of the manufacturer, the editors have removed the allegedly wrong prices for the time being.

don't think any of us need to get all bent out of shape just yet over motherboard pricing.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Does it though? Because Ryzen 1000 and 2000 would overclock to the hard limit the same on either a £60 board or a £600 board. It made no difference.

true but if you're looking at a 5 series board id imagine you're looking at a 12 or 16 core chip so you'd want the better build on the higher end boards also as i said IF you need the pcie 4 bandwidth also but wait for them reviews to see what difference there is.

if you're running stock and dont need the pcie 4 grab a 4 series board and enjoy the savings. again depends what cpu you're after if the leaked power draws of that 16 core when overclocked is anything to go for a x570 will be a must if the 300 watts leak is true.

Man of Honour
I have a feeling 3700x will have room to open up and void its low TDP
yeah. what i mean is that as the 1st and 2nd gen chips were basically at max clocks, even when overclocked that tiny bit, they didn't draw that much more power - maybe 40w extra.
compared to 95w base -> 250w oc on the 9900k
which is why any board with half-decent vrms could handle the extra load.

now if ryzen 3000 can go to town on overclocks (we shall see) then maybe it would make sense to invest in a board with decent vrms/cooling if the thermal limit will be breached a la 9900k.

Associate
Yeah seeing a lot of postings around the web about stupidly high board prices and how its terrible ect.. conveniently ignoring that you will be able to get much cheaper ones.
Just going to be down to the reviews to see which are best VFM.

Soldato
Manufacturers make stuff to price points where they can sell all the items they make. Yes the halo board was listed at silly money but it's a limited run. Get over it, there are loads of £300 Intel z390 boards because lots of people buy Intel. Giving choice of better quality boards is a good thing isn't it? There will be all the bases covered but expect prices to rise somewhat, thanks to the chimpanzees running our currency into the ground and the baboon running America :p

We haven't seen anything of B550 either, I expect these to be excellent too but with less PCH tricks and more average VRM configurations

Last edited:
Caporegime
true but if you're looking at a 5 series board id imagine you're looking at a 12 or 16 core chip so you'd want the better build on the higher end boards also as i said IF you need the pcie 4 bandwidth also but wait for them reviews to see what difference there is.

if you're running stock and dont need the pcie 4 grab a 4 series board and enjoy the savings. again depends what cpu you're after if the leaked power draws of that 16 core when overclocked is anything to go for a x570 will be a must if the 300 watts leak is true.
This is conjecture, but I'm assuming some £100 boards will clock better than some £500 boards but also that the differences will be marginal either way. Even the cheap X570 boards will have plenty of headroom on power and voltage regulation.

Soldato
When Ryzen launched, they said boards would be cheaper because of the SOC design of the CPU.

I personally would not pay the early adopter tax on these new boards. Especially when older boards can possibly be updated to utilise pcie gen 4.

Soldato
which is why any board with half-decent vrms could handle the extra load.

now if ryzen 3000 can go to town on overclocks (we shall see) then maybe it would make sense to invest in a board with decent vrms/cooling if the thermal limit will be breached a la 9900k.

Again, by the looks of it most boards have over-specced VRMs that should easily handle high (300W+) CPU power for the 16 core cpus. So long as they're cooled sufficiently, which most seem to be but you never know on the contact by looking at them.

Soldato
I just don't see these new chips overclocking well, AMD haven't left anything in the tank with previous generation Ryzen chips with regards to OC headroom, so why would this change now ?
If they were able to hit (much) higher speeds then surely AMD would have clocked them a little higher already and not just beaten Intel but absolutely smashed them

Soldato
Yeah seeing a lot of postings around the web about stupidly high board prices and how its terrible ect.. conveniently ignoring that you will be able to get much cheaper ones.
Just going to be down to the reviews to see which are best VFM.
Nobody is ignoring the fact there will be cheaper ones.
People are annoyed because like for like boards have gone up a ton.
The exact same board from x470 to x570 has gone up a lot. Thats why people are annoyed. Rightfully so. I guess that little chipset fan is costing us £80 lol .

Soldato
Well if you are looking for a nice board at not huge price, ASRock X570 Taichi is $229. That's only $20 more than the X470 launch price, their cheapest board will be around $160, so not a huge amount less than Asus but probably better specced for the cost. :)

Associate
Really ? That would annoy me , I went to town with Hwbot , have to smash the score or I just don't bother submitting.

nope, winning is winning wither by 1 point or 100. There is a guy thats been beating some of my scores of late so had to go back and up the frequency and I'm top again by 3-5 points in most of the catagories. Don't want to go all out and have nothing left in the tank. Makes it less fun.

Man of Honour
I just don't see these new chips overclocking well, AMD haven't left anything in the tank with previous generation Ryzen chips with regards to OC headroom, so why would this change now ?
If they were able to hit (much) higher speeds then surely AMD would have clocked them a little higher already and not just beaten Intel but absolutely smashed them
process node change.

14nm/12nm was a node designed for mobile processors meant for low power and low clocks. amd did well to get 4ghz+ from it lol.
hopefully 7nm would fare better.

Man of Honour
Again, by the looks of it most boards have over-specced VRMs that should easily handle high (300W+) CPU power for the 16 core cpus. So long as they're cooled sufficiently, which most seem to be but you never know on the contact by looking at them.
they do indeed. just need to see reviews now :D

Permabanned
Nobody is ignoring the fact there will be cheaper ones.
People are annoyed because like for like boards have gone up a ton.
The exact same board from x470 to x570 has gone up a lot. Thats why people are annoyed. Rightfully so. I guess that little chipset fan is costing us £80 lol .

The Asus chipset fan is like taken from a cheap notebook, and costs $1 from the Chinese.

MSI show something else - server grade PCB?

Back
Top Bottom