• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
I think the XBO and PS4 are both 8 core so surely that's a good step in the right direction? I definitely think games will soon takes advantage of more threads, plenty of games out now can make use of more than 4 cores that's for sure!

Some game engines are already optimised for 8-cores and unless your gaming in 1080p most titles are GPU bound. Before Zen how many generations of Intel desktop CPUs were 4-core and 8-threads? Whatever your position on Intel vs AMD at least competition has driven off Intel’s complacency!

The long term concern for me is how Spectre and Meltdown et al will impact multi-threading on quad-core CPUs.

Soldato
I can't see games needing more cores than mainstream consoles can provide. I know we can take advantage of the additional horsepower we have but we are a % in comparison to consoles which are the main cash cow for developers so that will naturally dictate the development direction.

Associate
I can't see games needing more cores than mainstream consoles can provide. I know we can take advantage of the additional horsepower we have but we are a % in comparison to consoles which are the main cash cow for developers so that will naturally dictate the development direction.

The good thing is since AMD are the only ones who develop CPUs/ GPUs for consoles they can dictate that direction themselves which could benefit pc users

Associate

Xbox one x already has 8 cores, multi core consoles are already here.

Soldato
That wasn't the point I was making. I was saying that "more" than 8 cores being a minimum on future releases will be dependant on how the consoles go. Not "if" they go multi.
Games of next-gen consoles are certainly going to be lot more demanding for PC, even without adding anything extra into PC version.
Because CPUs of current consoles are just just garbage compared to PC CPU and games get only five or was it six cores out of total.

But as a gaming CPU? Let me give you some numbers. In raw processing terms, these four Jaguar cores have slightly less than a quarter the grunt of a Core i5-3570K. It’s the same story on a core-by-core basis. Less than one quarter of the performance.
Really, this is no surprise. The Jaguar core is a dual-issue item running at roughly half the speed of Intel’s quad-issue desktop cores. It’s a competitor for Intel’s Atom core, not the full-fat Core, er, core.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/05/27/week-in-tech-hands-on-with-those-new-games-consoles/

Game developers must be drooling badly for what next gen consoles allow them to do.

Soldato
Games of next-gen consoles are certainly going to be lot more demanding for PC, even without adding anything extra into PC version.
Because CPUs of current consoles are just just garbage compared to PC CPU and games get only five or was it six cores out of total.

But as a gaming CPU? Let me give you some numbers. In raw processing terms, these four Jaguar cores have slightly less than a quarter the grunt of a Core i5-3570K. It’s the same story on a core-by-core basis. Less than one quarter of the performance.
Really, this is no surprise. The Jaguar core is a dual-issue item running at roughly half the speed of Intel’s quad-issue desktop cores. It’s a competitor for Intel’s Atom core, not the full-fat Core, er, core.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/05/27/week-in-tech-hands-on-with-those-new-games-consoles/

Game developers must be drooling badly for what next gen consoles allow them to do.

The cores are lesser powered though to keep within certain form factors, power draw and thermal factors. The "answer" to having those less powerful cores is having more of them (typical AMD) which means that if they want to push more out of a game console then the natural response is to add more cores which is what has happened.

Again, my point is that once the next gen consoles get a rough spec on paper ie amount of cores, the developers will naturally lean in that direction. Then us PC master race get all the extra goodies because our cores are stronger and can get more out of it.

It's a great time to be in this ecosystem with the recent hard push from AMD, I almost regret jumping from a 1700X to an 8700K, I probably will do once the next gen Ryzen's come out but at that point it will most likely be upgrade time again anyway.

Caporegime
Ryzen Leaks - Too Good To Be True?
Was the AMD leaks really "too good to be true", as reported at certain outlets? ;)

The problem with people like ExtremeTech is their thinking is institutionalised by Intel, they think AMD making 6 cores from Ryzen 5 to Ryzen 3 with Ryzen 5 now 8 core must be fake because its not what Intel would do, it doesn't even cross their mind that what AMD are doing here is being competitive by doing something that Intel can't, already they have forgotten that AMD introduced an 8 core 16 thread Ryzen at a time when the best mainstream Intel CPU you could buy had 4 cores and 8 threads.

Soldato
I've no idea why people think it is that hard to work out that a 3700X would end up being 12-cores with the same 105w TDP and a speed bump. I said it the other week and I'll say it again, during the EPYC ROME event they stated same performance at 50% of the power. So take 105w divide by 2, and you have 52.5w, and another 4 cores you have 79w for 12 core at the same speed, leaving some 26w remaining for increasing the stock clock speeds, and the boost clock speeds.

Regardless of rumour AMD have already confirmed what I have said above in their own conference about the power, you just need to apply the logic to the desktop parts, heck they are doing a 64c/128t CPU at 180w doesn't take a genius to figure out that they can do 12c/24t at 105w really. :)

Soldato
The problem with people like ExtremeTech is their thinking is institutionalised by Intel, they think AMD making 6 cores from Ryzen 5 to Ryzen 3 with Ryzen 5 now 8 core must be fake because its not what Intel would do, it doesn't even cross their mind that what AMD are doing here is being competitive by doing something that Intel can't, already they have forgotten that AMD introduced an 8 core 16 thread Ryzen at a time when the best mainstream Intel CPU you could buy had 4 cores and 8 threads.
Competition strategy wise it's certainly best for AMD to push core counts again to keep Intel in catchup mode and playing by rules established by AMD.
Stopping at eight cores, unless with completely superior single core performance, would simply leave door completely open for Intel.

Heck, if there had been real competition in earlier decade we would already have higher than eight core CPUs on desktop platforms!
With single core performance increase becoming constantly harder that would have been only natural path.

Permabanned
Competition strategy wise it's certainly best for AMD to push core counts again to keep Intel in catchup mode and playing by rules established by AMD.
Stopping at eight cores, unless with completely superior single core performance, would simply leave door completely open for Intel.

Heck, if there had been real competition in earlier decade we would already have higher than eight core CPUs on desktop platforms!
With single core performance increase becoming constantly harder that would have been only natural path.

Yes, and given how AMD literally skyrocketed the Threadripper core count, the most natural thing is double the cores across the entire product range, starting from the Athlons and Ryzen 3s.

Associate
i like adored's videos he always seems to do his research well and revaluates his stuff when new infomation comes in,he seems to be more believable than most when he strips things back down to basics

Soldato
Most interesting part for me was at about the 5 minute mark with mainstream desktop Ryzen not having an IO die but instead probably being a monolithic die.

It gets around some of the concerns with inter die latency that occur with chiplets but if it is an entirely new die just for mainstream desktop parts then I can see us having to wait a bit as for them. If AMD have any sense they should be trying to get as many high margin server chips produced while they have maximum advantage over Intel in that space. Only once they have more 7nm capacity do I think we will start to see large number of mainstream desktop parts.

Back
Top Bottom