• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Soldato
Personally I couldn't give two hoots if AMD are not as cheap as people expect. Let's look at recent history, in Feb 2017, just two years and four months ago when AMD first launched the Zen based CPU's to consumers, we had a market place saturated with 4c/4t and 4c/8t CPU's and a few HEDT systems up to 10 cores at £1800, and if you wanted a 12c/24t model you needed to buy a Xeon-E5-v4 which was upwards of £2200 for 3.0GHz-3.5GHz.

In the 28 months since then, we have gone from the 4c/8t to a 12c/24t CPU at a cost of $499 with clock speeds that are much higher, and better IPC. Intel launched the 2500K in Jan 2011 at $211 ($240 adjusted for inflation), and the 2600K for $317 ($360 inflation adjusted), so 101 months ago was the last time we saw Intel bother to make something remotely exciting for the average consumer. It beggars belief that a company who sat on their hands for so long and did nothing until forced, and then when they did do it increased the pricing, and altered the product stack in order to introduce the 8700K followed by the 9900K.

Pretty soon, or at least within the next 12 months, you will be able to buy a standard desktop CPU with 16c/32t and it will be priced according to the market, if Intel are struggling with 10nm still, and the best they can offer is a 10900K with 10c/20t at $499-599, then you can assume the AMD part which has 60% more cores and more than likely just as fast, while drawing the same or less power will be priced just low enough to not be able to ignore it, and high enough that it makes them good profit.

$385 at MSRP is a 9700K with 8c/8t, for 31% more cost you get a CPU that has 50% more cores, or 200% more threads (the 3900X), how can people not see that there is still value in that? :)

Permabanned
Personally I couldn't give two hoots if AMD are not as cheap as people expect. Let's look at recent history, in Feb 2017, just two years and four months ago when AMD first launched the Zen based CPU's to consumers, we had a market place saturated with 4c/4t and 4c/8t CPU's and a few HEDT systems up to 10 cores at £1800, and if you wanted a 12c/24t model you needed to buy a Xeon-E5-v4 which was upwards of £2200 for 3.0GHz-3.5GHz.

In the 28 months since then, we have gone from the 4c/8t to a 12c/24t CPU at a cost of $499 with clock speeds that are much higher, and better IPC. Intel launched the 2500K in Jan 2011 at $211 ($240 adjusted for inflation), and the 2600K for $317 ($360 inflation adjusted), so 101 months ago was the last time we saw Intel bother to make something remotely exciting for the average consumer. It beggars belief that a company who sat on their hands for so long and did nothing until forced, and then when they did do it increased the pricing, and altered the product stack in order to introduce the 8700K followed by the 9900K.

Pretty soon, or at least within the next 12 months, you will be able to buy a standard desktop CPU with 16c/32t and it will be priced according to the market, if Intel are struggling with 10nm still, and the best they can offer is a 10900K with 10c/20t at $499-599, then you can assume the AMD part which has 60% more cores and more than likely just as fast, while drawing the same or less power will be priced just low enough to not be able to ignore it, and high enough that it makes them good profit.

$385 at MSRP is a 9700K with 8c/8t, for 31% more cost you get a CPU that has 50% more cores, or 200% more threads (the 3900X), how can people not see that there is still value in that? :)

Theirs a lot of value in that.....

Soldato
how can people not see that there is still value in that? :)
You don't disrupt the market through profiteering and acting like your competition. If AMD start charging near Intel/Nvidia money for their kit then they won't get the sales. There's still too much negativity floating around for AMD to combat the stigma and yet charge "high" prices for their clearly superior technology and product.

I agree with the logic, and I was a supporter of the logic behind the price points from the original leaks (although I've always maintained they were a bit too low), although my threshold for what is an unreasonable price differs from others. I think the prices are too high, but only by a smidgen, almost an inconsequentially stampy-feet principle (like only £50 too high for the 8 and 12 cores).

GAC

GAC

Soldato
You don't disrupt the market through profiteering and acting like your competition. If AMD start charging near Intel/Nvidia money for their kit then they won't get the sales. There's still too much negativity floating around for AMD to combat the stigma and yet charge "high" prices for their clearly superior technology and product.

I agree with the logic, and I was a supporter of the logic behind the price points from the original leaks (although I've always maintained they were a bit too low), although my threshold for what is an unreasonable price differs from others. I think the prices are too high, but only by a smidgen, almost an inconsequentially stampy-feet principle (like only £50 too high for the 8 and 12 cores).

cant say how much too high they are until we see accurate performance numbers verses the intel equivalent, but knowing amd these prices will come down in a couple of months after all theres always a early adopters tax.

Back
Top Bottom