• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Caporegime
So the 3900x is slower than the 3800x in games ? :p

If it's got lower core for core performance, why wouldn't it be? It'd only be better in games when it's using more physical cores than the 3800X has. That's just fact.
If the reverse is that the 3900X has the best core for core performance then it's just blanket better at gaming than the 3800X.

You're basically trying to argue that we don't know if £10 is more money than £9.50.
We do know that, we just don't know who's holding the £10 or the £9.50.

Last edited:
Lisa Su told me it's the 3800X, that's what I'm betting on. Anyone else got a better source? :D
I'm listening to DG.
If he says it is slower then it is slower*.

*at some obscure setting and metric that is not used in the real world.

Fact is, the internet trolls know more than Lisa Su. Its only logical that this would be the case because internet innit?

Associate
Sounds fair enough. If they have technology and quality the equal of Intel why not charge for it? As X570 is their top tier there will be cheaper alternatives. I don't mind paying for better, higher quality motherboards as long as there isn't a made up premium tax added on top.

Because Intel boards are overpriced to begin with. Or we would be ok if next Navi-2080ti variant is $1500, cause why not?

Supply and demand. If they want to charge "premium" prices they better be ready to accept less revenue from lower demand

Soldato
Because Intel boards are overpriced to begin with. Or we would be ok if next Navi-2080ti variant is $1500, cause why not?

Supply and demand. If they want to charge "premium" prices they better be ready to accept less revenue from lower demand

Or you could just get a B450,X470 or wait for the B550?? The Z390 lacks any PCI-E 4.0 and all the expense which comes with it. Plus if people are happy getting Intel CPUs "only" with PCI-E 3.0 why do you need an X570 motherboard??

People forget that AMD at least is keeping compatability with older chipsets.

Associate
Or you could just get a B450,X470 or wait for the B550?? The Z390 lacks any PCI-E 4.0 and all the expense which comes with it. Plus if people are happy getting Intel CPUs "only" with PCI-E 3.0 why do you need an X570 motherboard??

People forget that AMD at least is keeping compatability with older chipsets.

So pcie-x Gen 4 warrants a 30% average price hike? x570 is going to X399 price territory and that's plain wrong. If you see nothing wrong with it and you are OK with the price hikes, then we better not complain for the prices that Intel and NVidia are charging, mmmkay?

Soldato
If the reverse is that the 3900X has the best core for core performance then it's just blanket better at gaming than the 3800X.
It's lot more complicated because of single computing die vs two computing dies difference.
Inter core communication between dies is certainly going to have more latency than inside single die.
But at the same time there's more L3 per enabled core and if L3 cache of other die is accessible at lower latency than RAM that could help.

Soldato
My bet is regardless of all the price complaints if the performance is like expected X570 and Ryzen 3000 will sell like hotcakes.

If you were Intel right now and saw AMD's product stack what would be your defence? The once budget brand is now premium but they're not Intel so they must be too expensive. I'd get that message out there for all I was worth.

Soldato
So pcie-x Gen 4 warrants a 30% average price hike? x570 is going to X399 price territory and that's plain wrong. If you see nothing wrong with it and you are OK with the price hikes, then we better not complain for the prices that Intel and NVidia are charging, mmmkay?

If its too expensive nobody is forcing you to buy it. Maybe you should ask why there is a market for expensive Z390 motherboards and £200+ X470 motherboards,when cheaper motherboards do 90% of the same job?? Yes,its people who bought all those motherboards.

Maybe instead of complaining at AMD,ask why Intel and its partners have kept pricing so high on their CPUs and motherboards,meaning AMD has room to do all this and why all the people here "need" to buy £200+ motherboards.

AMD has not even released B550 motherboards which will be cheaper - so its only your need of having to buy at launch which is fueling all of this. How about people be patient,wait for Intel to drop prices,etc which they might have to do,which will force AMD to do the same.

Vote with your pocket,that is what companies understand. If X570 sales are crap,companies will be forced to drop prices.

I bought a B450 motherboard,like almost all the people I know who bought Ryzen since X470 was much more money for not much realworld gain. I waited over six months after the Ryzen 2000 launch to upgrade once prices fell to a level I wanted them to be and that is with me having an ancient socket 1155 system with a finicky motherboard,and I bought into that platform the same year it was launched.

Plus a lot of the decent B450 and X470 boards have crashed in price now. Why is there some "need" for PCI-E 4.0 for gaming when Intel is stuck on PCI-E 3.0 for the immediate future??

Are games devs suddenly going to make games "need" PCI-E 4.0 for GPUs and SSDs,when the market is still stuck on PCI-E 3.0 and SATA3 SSDs??

If they did that expect half of their PC games sales to collapse.

The other thing is people "needing" 8 core Ryzen for gaming. Yet for the most part I don't see why you "need" an 8 core Ryzen part for gaming,or even an Intel one,when a Ryzen 5 3600 is £200 and a Ryzen 7 3700X is £330,so per core the Ryzen 5 is much better value. Intel again is stuck at 6C/6T in the mainstream and the consoles are launching next year too,and games need to be backward compatible with the old ones running Jaguar based cores. Is Intel going to sit by and not do anything?? Nvidia made sure DX12 and Vulkan were held back to some degree until the GPUs were fine with them.

Last edited:
Caporegime
My bet is regardless of all the price complaints if the performance is like expected X570 and Ryzen 3000 will sell like hotcakes.

If you were Intel right now and saw AMD's product stack what would be your defence? The once budget brand is now premium but they're not Intel so they must be too expensive. I'd get that message out there for all I was worth.

AMD producing more expensive CPU's without IGP isn't going to do them any favours when it comes to large scale deployments from an OEM perspective.

From a tech point of view, Intel have issues, but they've got room to turn it around.

Soldato
AMD producing more expensive CPU's without IGP isn't going to do them any favours when it comes to large scale deployments from an OEM perspective.

From a tech point of view, Intel have issues, but they've got room to turn it around.

Intel has 8C laptop APUs too. AMD is competing in HEDT and gaming areas,but they need to get the 7NM APUs out.

Back
Top Bottom