• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

GAC

GAC

Soldato
dear lord via making a come back, i hope their drivers have improved from the last time i had to use them. sure thats like nearly a decade ago but god they where pants!

Caporegime
So pcie-x Gen 4 warrants a 30% average price hike? x570 is going to X399 price territory and that's plain wrong. If you see nothing wrong with it and you are OK with the price hikes, then we better not complain for the prices that Intel and NVidia are charging, mmmkay?

AMD was slower...so was cheaper...now they have a line that threatens INTEl...so they sell at higher prices...

It’s basic business...NV can charge what they want because they have no competition...

All of you thinking AMD are a charity are deluded...

Caporegime
AMD was slower...so was cheaper...now they have a line that threatens INTEl...so they sell at higher prices...

It’s basic business...NV can charge what they want because they have no competition...

All of you thinking AMD are a charity are deluded...
Well, whether they sell at higher prices depends on whether people will buy them at higher prices.

They can ask what they like...

I think the reality is we both know more people will suck it up than vote with their wallets. That's the story of the last decade.

Soldato
So pcie-x Gen 4 warrants a 30% average price hike? x570 is going to X399 price territory and that's plain wrong. If you see nothing wrong with it and you are OK with the price hikes, then we better not complain for the prices that Intel and NVidia are charging, mmmkay?

30% more compared to what? Previous x470 or or Intel's current. And it's not just pcie 4.0, the chipset, the extra VRMs, the extra PCB layers/tracers, the general board options, etc are all above that of what they have previously done.

It even states Intel was ahead, now they are behind and so the price for it has increased. No surprise but we still actually haven't seen prices and have no way to judge if it's a 30% increase or not.

My only concern is that last gen AMD costs were not much lower than intel anyways so do expect these to be more initially. Until PCIE 4.0 mainstream it will be that way.

I don't expect consumer boards to go 5.0 unless motherboard manufactures can save costs so even if Intel supports in 2021 it may be another 3-5 years before gamers see it and in fairness don't need it anyways.

Threadripper may well go with it though to help set it apart tbh.

Caporegime
30% more compared to what? Previous x470 or or Intel's current. And it's not just pcie 4.0, the chipset, the extra VRMs, the extra PCB layers/tracers, the general board options, etc are all above that of what they have previously done.

It even states Intel was ahead, now they are behind and so the price for it has increased. No surprise but we still actually haven't seen prices and have no way to judge if it's a 30% increase or not.

My only concern is that last gen AMD costs were not much lower than intel anyways so do expect these to be more initially. Until PCIE 4.0 mainstream it will be that way.

I don't expect consumer boards to go 5.0 unless motherboard manufactures can save costs so even if Intel supports in 2021 it may be another 3-5 years before gamers see it and in fairness don't need it anyways.

Threadripper may well go with it though to help set it apart tbh.
Just a quick question...

If AMD and Intel keep leap-frogging each other in terms of performance, does that justify the prices leap-frogging each other too?

Ie in 3 years time year we could be paying £500 for a mid-range CPU :p So long as the perf keeps improving, that's fair, right? Nobody ever needs to actually hold prices or reduce them, so long as perf increases...

Associate
I thought pre-release the talk was of the 12/24 3900X potentially being the best for gaming and the (still unaccounced) 16/32 being the productivity choice...

Like the idea of going 12/24, but if its not as good for gaming will be going for the 3800X instead... Wonder when we will actually see benchmarks; only after public release? :(

Soldato
Just a quick question...

If AMD and Intel keep leap-frogging each other in terms of performance, does that justify the prices leap-frogging each other too?

Ie in 3 years time year we could be paying £500 for a mid-range CPU :p So long as the perf keeps improving, that's fair, right? Nobody ever needs to actually hold prices or reduce them, so long as perf increases...

The Ryzen 5 1600,2600 and 3600 cost all the same at launch?? IIRC,it was similar for the Ryzen 5 1600X,2600X and 3600X??

Edit!!

The Ryzen 5 1600 was $219 at launch so the Ryzen 5 2600 and Ryzen 5 3600 at $199 are cheaper.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
I thought pre-release the talk was of the 12/24 3900X potentially being the best for gaming and the (still unaccounced) 16/32 being the productivity choice...

Like the idea of going 12/24, but if its not as good for gaming will be going for the 3800X instead... Wonder when we will actually see benchmarks; only after public release? :(

7th of the 7th around 1pm bst i bet. like every other launch we get them on the day.

Associate
But they marketed the 3900x as a gaming chip too....

What makes you expect that? I expect what will make games slower is the graphics driver, GPU and how crap PC games are nowadays.

Lisa said the 3800X is their CPU designed for gaming and its for the gaming enthusiast, surely that would be the 12c24t CPU if its for the enthusiasts. Its got 100Mhz less boost than the 3900X, at the same 105w TDP. There must be a reason there its the same TDP as the 3900X with less cores. I expect there is better all core clocks on the 3800x to give it a boost for gaming.

Soldato
Lisa said the 3800X is their CPU designed for gaming and its for the gaming enthusiast, surely that would be the 12c24t CPU if its for the enthusiasts. Its got 100Mhz less boost than the 3900X, at the same 105w TDP. There must be a reason there its the same TDP as the 3900X with less cores. I expect there is better all core clocks on the 3800x to give it a boost for gaming.

Probably considering price AMD see more people buying the 3800X for gaming and that makes sense. But if the game and system as whole can make use of the extra processing power the 3900X will be faster and probably considered the ultimate *master race* CPU.

Enthusiasts will want the highest price to performance ratio.

Associate

There is...... Its called using the 8c chiplets that havent binned high enough for EPYC but are still capable of relativly high frequency just at a higher power.

Associate
Probably considering price AMD see more people buying the 3800X for gaming and that makes sense. But if the game and system as whole can make use of the extra processing power the 3900X will be faster and probably considered the ultimate *master race* CPU.

Enthusiasts will want the highest price to performance ratio.

The specs to TDP doesn't stack up though. There must be a good reason for it. I don't buy the binned chips thing on Adores vid.

Associate
There is...... Its called using the 8c chiplets that havent binned high enough for EPYC but are still capable of relativly high frequency just at a higher power.

Don't buy it tbh. Binning can get you higher clocks with 4 extra cores at same TDP? If that's the case then there must be a wild consistent sling in silicon quality.

Back
Top Bottom