• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Caporegime
Oh sorry I thought you knew what you were talking about for a second.
Let me explain.
My motherboard is the worst x470 , it has terrible vrms and cooling, yet I can overclock a 8 core 16 thread 2700x past its rated mhz, your motherboard has far superior cooling and vrms so It goes in hand that you will be totally fine with at least a 12 core zen 2 overclocked to its limits (and beyond) and probably im guessing a 16 core, although not as sure about pushing it past 4.7ghz for that one

You said in your other post "i may be wrong" so i'm just confirming that for you

I’m talking about X470 and B450 Overclocking the 3000 series not what they do with current gen...who cares about that ?

This is an enthusiast forum, where price and performance has no limits, and is not mainstream, which is where most of the talk is happening.

An enthusiast has no problem changing anything so it gets the desired performance so yeah.

So the enthusiast is only a minority out of everybody regarding the market etc, etc, etc.

An enthusiast will go to limits spending out his way getting rid of bottlenecks and the like which is gimped performance.

Dan.

There are different types of enthusiast.

The smarter kind will be keeping a close eye on their spending and be eager to re-use items they already own.

To that end there is little reason to ditch a perfectly good X470 board if a BIOS compatibility update has been issued.

Soldato
I think a lot of the complaints are coming from those that are still on 2500K's etc. I'm not sure why so many X370 and X470 users are considering changing anything, I know that all but one of the systems I use will be likely running some form of AM4 CPU, but none of them that already have an AM4 board will be getting changed.

People sometimes just like to make noise, I am including you in this too. :p :D

No complaints from this 2500k user :) I'm prepared to spend double what I did on my last CPU and motherboard. The best bit is I can drop in a 3800X now and in a few years time sell it and drop in a 16 core 3950X. Try that on a Z390!

I'll happily pay for tech if I feel I'm getting value and options. I agree with you Journey, there's a lot of noise...but of course we have no real way to know who is making the noise or why;)

Caporegime
Terrible board - massive overclock - this gen
Good board - great overclock - next gen

You don’t know that...AT ALL

Gigabye are starting to suck at everything. i remember when they was almost kings

Gigabyte makes some ,if not the best z390 boards in the market...please stop posting nonsense...

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
OP
Gigabye are starting to suck at everything. i remember when they was almost kings

I agree, I remember when they were almost top of the game, I was a big fanboi of thiers, then they suddenly seemed to take a nose dive, beyond belief, I went off them for years, the bioses completely let their boards down, at the release of RyZen 2000 I decided to give them another chance, yup regretted that pretty quickly, and that was the flagship Gaming 7 x470 board, the board itself was the dogs do-da's, but the bios once again was rubbish, thats it for me and Gigabyte, ive swapped sides to MSI, love the X470 board I have of theirs, and they brought my dreams true by making a Godlike for AM4.

Caporegime
I agree, I remember when they were almost top of the game, I was a big fanboi of thiers, then they suddenly seemed to take a nose dive, beyond belief, I went off them for years, the bioses completely let their boards down, at the release of RyZen 2000 I decided to give them another chance, yup regretted that pretty quickly, and that was the flagship Gaming 7 x470 board, the board itself was the dogs do-da's, but the bios once again was rubbish, thats it for me and Gigabyte, ive swapped sides to MSI, love the X470 board I have of theirs, and they brought my dreams true by making a Godlike for AM4.

Lol

https://www.pcgamesn.com/gigabyte/x570-aorus-xtreme-amd-ryzen-3000-overclocking

Soldato
No complaints from this 2500k user :) I'm prepared to spend double what I did on my last CPU and motherboard. The best bit is I can drop in a 3800X now and in a few years time sell it and drop in a 16 core 3950X. Try that on a Z390!

I'll happily pay for tech if I feel I'm getting value and options. I agree with you Journey, there's a lot of noise...but of course we have no real way to know who is making the noise or why;)

I think one other factor that we sometimes forget, is perceived value can be a very individual thing. One person could see value in having three M.2 slots, where as another might think it is a waste and that you could just put a PCI-E riser card in that will take 2 or 4 M.2 drives if you need more slots in future. The same can be said for what you are suggesting, buying a 3800X over a 3700X, how one person values the extra £70 spent vs. another thinking it is a waste of money, especially when they are the same core/thread count, and it is inevitably going to be swapped out.

It was much easier in the earlier days of PC, back when you'd have bought a top of the range 386 DX33, only to have it obliterated by a new CPU after 6-9 months and knowing it was coming but still buying it anyhow. :)

Soldato
OP

Thats all well and good, once again, they've got the aesthetics spot on, but it doesnt suddenly make their bios programmers brilliant, even to the point of LLC and basics like spread spectrum missing out of high end x470 boards caused me no end of stability problems, causes the BLK to fluctuate all over the place.

The fact of the matter is more VRM's just arnt going to cut it for me, the 16 core RyZen 3000 is still a 105w part.

I tried out 3 x470 motherboards, all flagships, the Gigabyte Gaming 7 was the worst, I couldnt get my CPU overclock stable no matter what I tried, the ASUS CH7 was OK, just didnt really like it much, just preference, but got my 2700X stable at 4.2ghz 1.4v, the best was the MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC got my CPU stable at 4.2ghz 1.3875v with ease.

Doesnt matter how many phases you have, everyone who's had a RyZen CPU knows that they hit a wall, and they wont even go 100mhz past that wall without massive stupid amounts of voltage, you either get a good chip or a bad one.

Last edited:
Soldato
Back
Top Bottom