• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Caporegime
Interesting the engineering sample was at 4.5 boost, iirc the original ryzen was only around 3.2 boost and that improved for launch, so hopefully this also bumps up some :)

Soldato
Ryzen 3000 will positively influence the market share, which will result in higher stock, as well.

That I'm not so sure about. To gain market share that would result in boost stock prices, Ryzen 3000 will have to rip into Intel's mindshare dominance.

The only real way I see that happening is widespread OEM adoption; if Ryzen 3000 has Intel-matching performance, is a cheaper tray price than Intel equivalent and Intel can't produce sufficient volume of 9000 series (so they gouge prices), then OEMs could well flock to the AMD camp to get their cheapo boxes out the door. The gaming boutiques like Alienware and workstations like Dell XPS, Scan 3XS and the OcUK equivalents adopting Ryzen would also really push a shift in perceptions too. And, of course, the enthusiasts who research their purchases won't be able to deny the benchmarks.

That's what it will take to break Intel's perception dominance, and you can only sell Ryzen if consumers stop thinking Intel is always the best.

Soldato
Wccftech so it's not true.

https://www.ces.tech/News/Press-Rel...x?NodeID=e8a189c0-5cdf-4176-9d38-ad65a2652e47

In 2019, AMD will catapult computing, gaming, and visualization technologies forward with the world’s first 7nm high-performance CPUs and GPUs, providing the power required to reach technology’s next horizon. During her CES keynote, Dr. Su and guests will provide a view into the diverse applications for new computing technologies ranging from solving some of the world’s toughest challenges to the future of gaming, entertainment and virtual reality with the potential to redefine modern life.

Edit!!

We know AMD Rome and Vega20 are 7NM but not gaming orientated products,but in the rest of that paragraph they mentioned gaming.

We will need to wait and see how it goes.

Soldato
https://www.ces.tech/News/Press-Rel...x?NodeID=e8a189c0-5cdf-4176-9d38-ad65a2652e47

Edit!!

We know AMD Rome and Vega20 are 7NM but not gaming orientated products,but in the rest of that paragraph they mentioned gaming.

We will need to wait and see how it goes.

Future of gaming... To me that says they may mention Navi, they have already said a few times 7nm Vega Is going to be enterprise.

I'd love to see them do Vega 64 on 7nm though and fix it's issues.

Associate
Surely we should expect nothing less than Zen 2 beating Intel 9700k and 9900k in gaming, if it's supposedly aimed at Ice Lake?

I wonder what the actual clocks will be. Too bad we don't know right now.

I think that Ryzen 2 will be faster than say the 9900k. Will it be enough to matter if you already have a 9900k?

That I'm unsure of.

Permabanned
A bit more credible

Wccftech is more precious because they usually post infos way before anyone else, they post secrets/rumours that are yet to be confirmed by the news-related articles of someones of the likes of anandtech, for instance.
Do you get? ;)

Associate
Surely we should expect nothing less than Zen 2 beating Intel 9700k and 9900k in gaming, if it's supposedly aimed at Ice Lake?

I really hope AMD are aiming to beat intel and not just match them. Otherwise they are always going to be playing catchup.

AMD getting on top would be good news for everyone except perhaps intel investors. Bring on the competition!

Soldato

I think matching an i9-9900K would be fantastic, I'm not sure many would think it would leap-frog it but you never know. This is all very dependent on the process node because even if they can pull a 10-15% IPC jump out of the bag, they need to be at least close in clock speeds without silly power consumption. Remember that even the i9-9900K's only has a base clock of 3.6 GHz; it'll boost to 4.7-5.0 GHz but not necessarily whilst staying within its TDP envelope.

That said, I think AMD would be ecstatic even without matching the i9-9900K in gaming...because it's not all about gaming you know.

Associate
I think matching an i9-9900K would be fantastic, I'm not sure many would think it would leap-frog it but you never know. This is all very dependent on the process node because even if they can pull a 10-15% IPC jump out of the bag, they need to be at least close in clock speeds without silly power consumption. Remember that even the i9-9900K's only has a base clock of 3.6 GHz; it'll boost to 4.7-5.0 GHz but not necessarily whilst staying within its TDP envelope.

That said, I think AMD would be ecstatic even without matching the i9-9900K in gaming...because it's not all about gaming you know.

10-15% IPC improvement over Ryzen+, and an engineering sample already clocked at 4.5Ghz boost, and people don't think it can beat the 9900K on the old 14nm process?!?

I think people are forgetting that the 2700X is only around 7% slower on average than a 8700K in gaming at worst case (1080p) according to TechPowerUp, whose benching suite for me is the best and most accurate. OC the 8700K to 5Ghz and you add only 1-3% more gaming performance, again, according to TPU tests. So seeing as you're not going to see any meaningful performance uplift from 2 more cores and some more threads over the 6-C 12-T of the 8700K, we can estimate fairly accurately that the 9900K is going to be under 10% faster than the 2700X in gaming. So I expect the 3700X to sail past that and trounce the Intel in CPU tests.

Soldato
10-15% IPC improvement over Ryzen+, and an engineering sample already clocked at 4.5Ghz boost, and people don't think it can beat the 9900K on the old 14nm process?!?

I think people are forgetting that the 2700X is only around 7% slower on average than a 8700K in gaming at worst case (1080p) according to TechPowerUp, whose benching suite for me is the best and most accurate. OC the 8700K to 5Ghz and you add only 1-3% more gaming performance, again, according to TPU tests. So seeing as you're not going to see any meaningful performance uplift from 2 more cores and some more threads over the 6-C 12-T of the 8700K, we can estimate fairly accurately that the 9900K is going to be under 10% faster than the 2700X in gaming. So I expect the 3700X to sail past that and trounce the Intel in CPU tests.
That may all be true but we have no hard data yet, just rumours and speculation (including the 4.5 GHz engineering sample). Intel even admit that their first one or two generations of 10nm won't outperform their current 14nm process; we have no idea how good TSMC's 7nm is yet.

I have high hopes but am not going to get excited just yet. Let's not forget that Zen+ ended up at the lower end of expectations (10% clock boost, small improvement to latency); some suspected further IPC improvements ("low hanging fruit") or slightly higher clocks.

Associate
That may all be true but we have no hard data yet, just rumours and speculation (including the 4.5 GHz engineering sample). Intel even admit that their first one or two generations of 10nm won't outperform their current 14nm process; we have no idea how good TSMC's 7nm is yet.

I have high hopes but am not going to get excited just yet. Let's not forget that Zen+ ended up at the lower end of expectations (10% clock boost, small improvement to latency); some suspected further IPC improvements ("low hanging fruit") or slightly higher clocks.

Well I hope you're wrong and I'm right :)

Otherwise 7nm Ryzen will be pretty disappointing. But the smart money is on it being a performance leader upon release, given how close the 2700X is to Intel's best. Let's wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom