• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
Better performance is quite fun. I'll be leaving it alone if that's better for games, and manually overclocking only if that's better.

Anyway 3600 + B450 is looking a better bet every day.
I have a feeling that's the route I will go as PCIE 4 NVME is a hell of a jump in price and I have no plans to upgrade my RTX 2080 until 2021 when I guess PCIE5 will be out.

Soldato
Exactly, it is easy to find itx case with good price, but it is hard to find compact ATX case (cerberus x style) for a good price.

The Riotoro CR1080 is very small for an ATX case,but it does not have handles unless you can make your own.

If they are so bad at overclocking like he says, then why is AMD hyping PBO so much...

Maybe because PBO will the best way to get any overclock??

What did You expected ?? I said if I culd hit Max boost on All core IT's better outcome than I expected.

I don't overclock CPUs anymore so it doesn't affect me,but AMD has a history of pushing stock clockspeeds to the limit.

That cPU looks damaged

It could be a glint due to the flash??

Last edited:
Associate
I found PBO pushes the volts to scary levels of 1.45-1.55 sometimes so i dialed in a perma OC on all cores of 4.35 @1.45 and it stays like that most of the time.

PBO is designed to push what ever volts it deems safe through the motherboard. It might do 1.5v+ but how long does it stay there? Robert has spoken a few times about this and says that those volts are acceptable if they are for fairly brief periods of time. What I gathered is that PBO is designed to work that way, as it is programmed not to over volt past what is safe. It's more about the average volts which have been through the chip over an extended amount of time.

Edit- found the original post at this applies to XFR, so I'm not sure if PBO is different.

Last edited:

Gee

Gee

Soldato
I found PBO pushes the volts to scary levels of 1.45-1.55 sometimes so i dialed in a perma OC on all cores of 4.35 @1.45 and it stays like that most of the time.

AMD designed it that way. I see spikes to 1.5/1.55v on my 2700X with PBO enabled. A half second pike to 1.55v isn't going to damage your chip.

Soldato
Manual overclocking has been dead for years. Even on Intel's platform there is no headroom left. Whack on MCE and you've got a 5 GHz i9-9900K, there really isn't much more to go with that chip unless you have a custom water loop or better. The same will be true for Ryzen 3000, except that lower SKUs are still unlocked so might have a bit more headroom.

Associate
Manual overclocking has been dead for years. Even on Intel's platform there is no headroom left. Whack on MCE and you've got a 5 GHz i9-9900K, there really isn't much more to go with that chip unless you have a custom water loop or better. The same will be true for Ryzen 3000, except that lower SKUs are still unlocked so might have a bit more headroom.

The main reason on intel, like the 9900k is to reduce the volts manually to keep the temps in check but yeah, it's not like my 2600k for exmpale where you'd have a poor chip that would OC to 4.4ghz and golden samples upto 5.2ghz on air. That was quite a lottery back then.

The range of a 9900k is 4.9 to 5.1 all core on ambient.

Soldato
for that prices i stay with Intel
overpriced junk from AMD

774c841b77b75c9f5e970d0661489c9205732ec90885f818b3bf1590dfd5f848.jpg

Associate

It's designed to do that and also use the headroom of your motherboard
Watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prAaADB9Kck

and this https://twitter.com/Thracks/status/1145790749511946241

We are on the 3rd generation of Ryzen, and we knew at 2nd gen that overclocking wasn't really worth it for the x chips.

Just concentrate on great cooling, ram speed and timings , let the cpu do the rest - don't worry

Associate
Im going to be running 3800X, C7 Hero, 16GB of 8 Pack Samsung B Die, and a Strix 1080ti. We will see how that performs.

Soldato
Well, with matx mobo you can have a dicent onboard audio + extra 2 pci slot and + extra 2 ram slot.

Other day i bought a asrock Fatal1ty Z370 itx and the audio was terrible compared to my x370 taichi that has the same audio chip. The quality difference was probably due to only quantity of capacitors, as on ITX you dont have space for nothing there.
And you use those extra slots for what, exactly? Or, more specifically, if you have a use for more than 1 GPU as the only card in the system then you have an above-standard use case, and ITX isn't a consideration. Same goes for 4 DIMMs. And this is the point, generally-speaking a standard use case would be 1 GPU, 2 DIMMs and a couple of SATA drives or 1 NVMe drive. Anything bigger than ITX is a waste of space.

And audio is what you pay for. The cheaper ITX boards can have rubbish onboard just in the same way as cheaper ATX boards can have rubbish onboard. But look at the Strix ITX line for example with its dedicated sound card. But again, if you're picky about your audio quality then you wouldn't look at any old onboard, you'd know your stuff and find out which onboard comes with which mobo, and if you're really discerning to extent you want dedicated sound then ITX isn't a consideration.

Caporegime
And you use those extra slots for what, exactly? Or, more specifically, if you have a use for more than 1 GPU as the only card in the system then you have an above-standard use case, and ITX isn't a consideration. Same goes for 4 DIMMs. And this is the point, generally-speaking a standard use case would be 1 GPU, 2 DIMMs and a couple of SATA drives or 1 NVMe drive. Anything bigger than ITX is a waste of space.

And audio is what you pay for. The cheaper ITX boards can have rubbish onboard just in the same way as cheaper ATX boards can have rubbish onboard. But look at the Strix ITX line for example with its dedicated sound card. But again, if you're picky about your audio quality then you wouldn't look at any old onboard, you'd know your stuff and find out which onboard comes with which mobo, and if you're really discerning to extent you want dedicated sound then ITX isn't a consideration.

Ew, if you're really discerning about Audio, you'd find something with optical out and use an exterior system (DAC/AMP), an expansion card is just... not relevant anymore really.

Back
Top Bottom