• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
Pretty much same as me really. I will wait and see what happens with BIOS updates for X370 boards. Theres far to little info out there at the moment about how they work with ryzen 3000 and I'm not willing to buy a new motherboard as well and it's not as if any of the games are struggling on my 1600x either.

Sanity.

Associate
me three (sitting on a 3770k). knowing amd, it's better to let all the early adopters beta-test amd's products first and get the bugs ironed out before jumping in myself.

Same here on the 3770k. I'm giving that my t'other alf as a more powerful machine to the laptop she uses. I'm looking forward to some increase in FPS and productivity (and plex being able to decode H.265 of a decent size).

Soldato
Pretty much same as me really. I will wait and see what happens with BIOS updates for X370 boards. Theres far to little info out there at the moment about how they work with ryzen 3000 and I'm not willing to buy a new motherboard as well and it's not as if any of the games are struggling on my 1600x either.

Same here on the 3770k. I'm giving that my t'other alf as a more powerful machine to the laptop she uses. I'm looking forward to some increase in FPS and productivity (and plex being able to decode H.265 of a decent size).

Exactly what I'm doing, let the bleeding edge beta testers / early adopters solve any issues.

I'm doing it involuntarily haha.

No word on the motherboard I want, memory kits, and the PCIe SSDs I want are still on pre-order along with the CPU.

Might as well see what happens, especially since some places like Anandtech noticed improved boosting on the CPUs with a new BIOS also.

Associate
Coming from a 3770k so going to be a big step up for me no matter what. Already planning how I can use it for playing around with hyperV.

My first proper build in 7 years and I enjoy the whole process; reviews, specing out, putting together and tweaking just as much as the finished product. Always fun getting some shiny new hardware to play with. Never ordered a new rig on launch day before, been one of the first few adds to the fun.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
It's not needed and those sticks 3600c16-14 easy anyway.....

Cheers. Now just waiting until the dust settles down to see if a 3900X is a worthy upgrade for me or not, coming from a 2700X.

If not, I may just keep an eye out for another 2080Ti in a few months instead.

Interesting to see if newer BIOS revisions do sort out the CPU boost clocks though.

Associate
New to these forums. Just tried joining MSI forums, but they won't even activate my new proifle, checked spam as well.
I downloaded the latest BIOS, for Tomahawk b450 from their website, stuck it on a 32GB USB drive which was formatted as Fat32.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK

I went to BIOS and tried M-Flash, which would not recognise the update(I tried all ports inc the top right), it saw the drive, but not the update which i copy and pasted to the root of the USB stick.

Just a few Q's

1. Do you install updates like this before or adding a new CPU? (It currently holds a 1600x, and my 3700x arrives tommorow.)
2. CAN YOU HELP ME PLEASE.

Just updated the AMD chip drivers as well, which were released on the 7th as well.
My BIOS version atm is 1.2 - do i need to update the BIOS bit by bit to the latest version?
I did read that my USB stick might be too big, at 32GB its a Kingston Data Traveler USB 3.0

Associate
I bought a Sandybridge i5-2500K just a day or two before Ivybridge was launched (knowingly). That CPU lasted me just over 5 years before I switched to an R5 1600.Just over two years later it's nice to see "new shiny thing", but I really don't feel the need to upgrade, but I might do when the dust settles.

Associate
New to these forums. Just tried joining MSI forums, but they won't even activate my new proifle, checked spam as well.
I downloaded the latest BIOS, for Tomahawk b450 from their website, stuck it on a 32GB USB drive which was formatted as Fat32.

I went to BIOS and tried M-Flash, which would not recognise the update(I tried all ports inc the top right), it saw the drive, but not the update which i copy and pasted to the root of the USB stick.

Just a few Q's

1. Do you install updates like this before or adding a new CPU? (It currently holds a 1600x, and my 3700x arrives tommorow.)

Just updated the AMD chip drivers as well, which were released on the 7th as well.
My BIOS version atm is 1.2 - do i need to update the BIOS bit by bit to the latest version?
I did read that my USB stick might be too big, at 32GB its a Kingston Data Traveler USB 3.0

I've also read that 16gb is the highest USB size for flashing BIOS, but I'm not sure why.

I also remember that one of the steps was to rename the BIOS to MSI.ROM but I'm not sure if that applies in this case.

Also, could be that you have to update the BIOS to an intermediary BIOS first, before updating to the latest.

Associate
I remember going to a Computer Fair (those were the days) and my brother buying a 6Gb HDD for £200...and that was a good price at the time!
My first HDD was a 40MB Seagate ... and I remember being slightly irritated that they weren't selling anything smaller as I couldn't imagine ever filling such a vast disk!

OcUK Staff

Just a few Q's

Try smaller USB stick yes..
If not try updating 1.5 then 6 then 7....

I did not test this board but others by gigabyte for example have to update to one before zen2 cpu first.... Then to one supporting....

Soldato
And this video makes it look like the all core boost of the 3800x is on average 100MHz higher than the 3700x up too 4.4GHz.

The 1% lows look much better on the 3800x tho. Up to double in what looks like to be the Division 2

So my take from that video is the 3700x and the 3800x will give you on average similar highs and average frames, but the 3800x will give you much better minimums.

Associate

Just a few Q's

Is the stick formatted correctly, sometimes they need to be FAT32 not NTFS, I'm not familiar with what these bios flashing things work.

Back
Top Bottom