• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Guess I better look for a beefy cooler then :D

Any recommendations for a good air cooler around £50?

May as well get an AIO at that price range. If you can stretch to another £5 or £10 you can even get a 240mm, though the Corsair H75 120mm just happens to be on offer at a few places today. What a co-incidence! :p

Associate
May as well get an AIO at that price range. If you can stretch to another £5 or £10 you can even get a 240mm, though the Corsair H75 120mm just happens to be on offer at a few places today. What a co-incidence! :p
It´s worse than a good air cooler for £50/60

Only Arctic Liquid Freezer II - 240 is worth it .. for £70/80

Last edited:
Caporegime
It´s worse than a good air cooler for £50/60
Yes, there seems to be a lot of misconception around AIO's... people seem to automatically think they are better than good air coolers despite there being little evidence of this except from the very best AIO's. Then you have the added risk of the quality and leaking issues that have been reported overt he last few years.

For me, air is the more preferable and lower risk cooling method.

Rom

Rom

Associate
I use an AIO for looks. It performs about the same as my old dh14. But looks a lot cleaner.

My gaming temps on a 6700k oc to 4.5 is around 50 average.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes, there seems to be a lot of misconception around AIO's... people seem to automatically think they are better than good air coolers despite there being little evidence of this except from the very best AIO's. Then you have the added risk of the quality and leaking issues that have been reported overt he last few years.

For me, air is the more preferable and lower risk cooling method.

Its more that you can move the rad about to either get intake air or blast all the cpu heat out of the case. You do have low airflow over the mosfet heatsinks then though. Having seen air coolers hit the £100 mark I had assumed the ones at £50 would be average at best these days when looking for performance rather than rgb and shiny. I do know my really old 240mm AIO I got from here around 8 years ago is still going strong, OCUK own brand thing that came with a G13 bracket. Used it on GPUs and CPUs, its currently on the 3600x @ 4.25ghz 1.3v. Keeps that at around 70c in prime but its in an ITX case with the rad configured as intake and fans set to max out at 1100rpm. Everything else I have is on a proper custom loop, closest thing I have to an AIO other than that is an EK Predator 240mm heavily customised cooling a 3800x and 1070 but its setup to run hot and silent.

Probably shouldn't have said anything tbh, the air vs aio question never goes down well on public forums :)

FWIW nothing I have leaks or has leaked, avoid hard plastic corrugated tubes is the golden rule.

Caporegime
Its more that you can move the rad about to either get intake air or blast all the cpu heat out of the case. You do have low airflow over the mosfet heatsinks then though. Having seen air coolers hit the £100 mark I had assumed the ones at £50 would be average at best these days when looking for performance rather than rgb and shiny. I do know my really old 240mm AIO I got from here around 8 years ago is still going strong, OCUK own brand thing that came with a G13 bracket. Used it on GPUs and CPUs, its currently on the 3600x @ 4.25ghz 1.3v. Keeps that at around 70c in prime but its in an ITX case with the rad configured as intake and fans set to max out at 1100rpm. Everything else I have is on a proper custom loop, closest thing I have to an AIO other than that is an EK Predator 240mm heavily customised cooling a 3800x and 1070 but its setup to run hot and silent.

Probably shouldn't have said anything tbh, the air vs aio question never goes down well on public forums :)

No arguments here, I know the really good AIO's ARE really good, I almost bought an Arctic Freezer 240mm. In the end after a lot of research I just did not see any real benefit for my own use case vs a good air cooler. :)

FWIW nothing I have leaks or has leaked, avoid hard plastic corrugated tubes is the golden rule.

Many people have never had leaks, but that doesn't mean it's not a risk. I used to run a custom watercooling loop with top quality hand-picked components and I really trusted it... but with modern mass-produced AIO's and standards of quality assurance I am not sure I would want to introduce that risk to an expensive set of components. While it's a worst case scenario, It's not a situation covered by any warranty.

Is it just me or does the 5900x seem a little hot in some instances?

Maybe you can please provide some actual detail instead of forcing people to watch the video? Better to gGive examples of temps and which apps you are referring to.

Gee

Gee

Soldato
Associate
Many people have never had leaks, but that doesn't mean it's not a risk. I used to run a custom watercooling loop with top quality hand-picked components and I really trusted it... but with modern mass-produced AIO's and standards of quality assurance I am not sure I would want to introduce that risk to an expensive set of components. While it's a worst case scenario, It's not a situation covered by any warranty.

Yeah agreed, avoid cheap chinese clones of anything tbh. Worst thing I have lost to chinese junk was a 1070 windforce OC model. Had some chinese rip off yate loon fans (back when they were a thing) on a top mounted rad above it. The labels peeled off the back of the fans and fell off over the first month then one of the circlips holding the fan spindle in dropped off a couple of weeks later and landed straight on the smd caps on the back of my gpu. That made sparkles and let the magic smoke out. RIP 1070 right at the height of the mining craze. Saving £3 each on 6 fans cost me a gpu that at that time was nearly £500 to replace...if you could even find one in stock.

Do they really not have any kind of anti-leak consequential damage warranty? Even on the main brands like corsair, arctic and ek etc? I honestly expected they did, that's a yikes. Today I have learned something important - thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom