• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Will 5800X and 5900X power consumption be the same?

I'm deciding between these along with a 3080/6800XT but my PSU is Corsair SF650 Platinum, hoping I don't run out of power and need a 750w.
At full load, the 5900X will draw a bit more power, more cores. But, when gaming with full GPU load, highly unlikely to fully load the CPU. I expect a decent 650W PSU to cope with a 5900X/6800XT system - at stock, no overclocking.

Soldato
Thanks guys

Doesnt a 3080 by itself chew up 350 watts at max power draw? (more if overclocked i imagine)

Estimates;
cpu - 100
motherboard 125
memory 40
each hdd 20
fans ??

That's takes you 650 presuming you have 2 hdds and no fans. Not other components (soundcards etc.)

I personally have an 850 watt EVGA PSU which i've had for years. Bought to power 980Ti SLI initially

I'm running 1 x M.2 and 1 x SSD with 6 fans, only 2 sticks of RAM, 3700X and 2070S, it currently seems to cope just fine.

I guess I will just try it, if I have problems then I will have to go 750w, just would rather I didn't have to spend even more.

Soldato
Yes but the 5600X is clearly faster is it not? I mean it basically matches the 10700k stock to stock and you have to take into account the Z490 boards costing more whereas the 5600x will run in any old AMD board with full access to all features and overclocking, even the A520's at under £100.

Is there some of this going on? :D :D :D :p
The problem is that it's come with a price increase,and the same happened with GPUs. Then after a few generations if Intel and AMD keep charging more for each generation because it's faster we end up back at square one.

People defended the GPU price increases with Nvidia too,but enthusiasts and gamers never learn. BTW,you might want to also consider I am not really supportive of Intel either because people argued on here they were faster but should cost more too. I argued with them about it too,but many here have conveniently short memories to fit their narrative. It's funny when both sides try and attack you at different times.

It makes no difference in the end what side wins if they use the same logic because the end result is the same,and I have defended AMD a lot on here,but not for moves like this. So not sure what you are implying by the last line.I didn't even defend them when they did the same with the Athlon 64.

Last edited:
Soldato
For reference: Benchmarking Heaven

mTMn7C2.jpg

i5 9600kf @5.1
RTX 3090
2 x hdd's
2x SSD's
4 x stick of memory
7 x fans
2 x pumps

in games etc i've never seen it peak over 611w so with a higher end cpu you'd probs see around 650w max? Be under 700w though i think?

Soldato

mTMn7C2.jpg

i5 9600kf @5.1
RTX 3090
2 x hdd's
2x SSD's
4 x stick of memory
7 x fans
2 x pumps

in games etc i've never seen it peak over 611w so with a higher end cpu you'd probs see around 650w max? Be under 700w though i think?
Best answer in one pic :)

Should be fine with a 650 watt as above is with a 3090

Caporegime

mTMn7C2.jpg

i5 9600kf @5.1
RTX 3090
2 x hdd's
2x SSD's
4 x stick of memory
7 x fans
2 x pumps

With a 10900K you would be looking at 700 Watts, You shouldn't stress the PSU above 75% long term so i hope your PSU is 800 Watts or more? if it was a 10900K i would get a 900 Watt PSU minimum.

Associate
The problem is that it's come with a price increase,and the same happened with GPUs. Then after a few generations if Intel and AMD keep charging more for each generation because it's faster we end up back at square one.

People defended the GPU price increases with Nvidia too,but enthusiasts and gamers never learn. BTW,you might want to also consider I am not really supportive of Intel either because people argued on here they were faster but should cost more too. I argued with them about it too,but many here have conveniently short memories to fit their narrative. It's funny when both sides try and attack you at different times.

It makes no difference in the end what side wins if they use the same logic because the end result is the same,and I have defended AMD a lot on here,but not for moves like this. So not sure what you are implying by the last line.I didn't even defend them when they did the same with the Athlon 64.

The emphasis with the last line is the smileys not the clip - its just a funny video and I've yet to find anyone who can actually get offended by it. Literally just for fun, and I've had some great counter clips posted which also give good lols. Strictly good natured and in jest, I know you're not fanboying :)

I agree, the price rises suck. I spent several hours ranting about it the night before last on this thread I think actually? The fact of the matter is that as soon as AMD managed to become premium they were going to take the price ground that Intel have prepared gamers for over the last few years. Like for like AMD still manages to squeak in cheaper if you look at 10th gen Intel launch prices, they've priced carefully to be able to do so and to have people counter with that argument. I was lowballing a bit of fun at AMD poster boys with my reply to you too but I probably wasn't sarcastic enough for people to pick up on that given I haven't posted here that much.

AMD have been the value champs for years because they had to be, now they don't. I still don't think those cheaper i3 and i5 cpus are any good though because Intel paywall memory overclocking. You end up spending £300 regardless if you're an enthusiast because who wants 2666mhz memory for gaming?

Associate
Are AMD waiting right to the last minute on lifting the NDA on reviews? what's the point? Just release the reviews already...
Not sure why AMD continue to do this. They've got nothing to hide have they? It seems to be an excellent product. Why not allow reviews the day before so people can make a decision in a less stressful manner.

I find it weird, they are doing so much right now......

Soldato
With a 10900K you would be looking at 700 Watts, You shouldn't stress the PSU above 75% long term so i hope your PSU is 800 Watts or more? if it was a 10900K i would get a 900 Watt PSU minimum.

New PSU's are absolutely fine up to about 90% load long term in my view. They just are not as efficient but even then it is generally only a few % as long as you have a decent PSU. Going back a decade yeah was way different tbh. Times changed. Keep up Humbug ;) :p

Associate
You shouldn't stress the PSU above 75% long term
Citation needed. That's like staying don't drive a 75mph long term ;)

At wall reading is power draw times efficiently. So that's 611 * 0.85 = 520 (unless its a platinum rated PSU) so more like 550W PSU is fine, if its a good brand its usually capable of going some what over the rated power. A PSU will give you the power thats written on the sticker and then some.

Soldato
Not sure why AMD continue to do this. They've got nothing to hide have they? It seems to be an excellent product. Why not allow reviews the day before so people can make a decision in a less stressful manner.

I find it weird, they are doing so much right now......

Honestly I think it is on purpose cause of stock. If everyone knew what to go for then there wouldn't be FOMO, there wouldn't be people buying a higher SKU they don't need, there wont be the same number and when they are likely to sell out then it is fine because those looking at reviews will be a few days later or more and will get when a second drop occurs etc.

Caporegime
The emphasis with the last line is the smileys not the clip - its just a funny video and I've yet to find anyone who can actually get offended by it. Literally just for fun, and I've had some great counter clips posted which also give good lols. Strictly good natured and in jest, I know you're not fanboying :)

I agree, the price rises suck. I spent several hours ranting about it the night before last on this thread I think actually? The fact of the matter is that as soon as AMD managed to become premium they were going to take the price ground that Intel have prepared gamers for over the last few years. Like for like AMD still manages to squeak in cheaper if you look at 10th gen Intel launch prices, they've priced carefully to be able to do so and to have people counter with that argument. I was lowballing a bit of fun at AMD poster boys with my reply to you too but I probably wasn't sarcastic enough for people to pick up on that given I haven't posted here that much.

AMD have been the value champs for years because they had to be, now they don't. I still don't think those cheaper i3 and i5 cpus are any good though because Intel paywall memory overclocking. You end up spending £300 regardless if you're an enthusiast because who wants 2666mhz memory for gaming?

I think its Intel being more competitive more than it is AMD being too greedy. Remember Intel used to charge £350 for an unlocked 4 core with HT, now you can get an unlocked 6 core with HT for £250 from Intel.

I will agree the 5600X is too much at £280, it should be £250 which is what the Ryzen 1600X and 3600X was, i just hope the 5600 None X is £220.

At £430 the 5800X is 7% more expensive than the 3800X was, i'm ok with that, the 1800X was £500 and we thought that was cheap, next to Intel's performance equivalent it was. the 10850K is £480. Again hopefully we will get a 5700X later.

Soldato
Im running an evga 750GQ so just shy under the 800w mark. Will probs upgrade eventually but atm its working fine and not had any issues. The psu is under a year old as well.

Caporegime
Citation needed. That's like staying don't drive a 75mph long term ;)

At wall reading is power draw times efficiently. So that's 611 * 0.85 = 520 (unless its a platinum rated PSU) so more like 550W PSU is fine, if its a good brand its usually capable of going some what over the rated power. A PSU will give you the power thats written on the sticker and then some.

That's not how PSU efficiency works, at 85% efficiency is 85 Watts drawn by components = 100 Watts drawn at the wall.

Recalculate with THAT in mind. :)

Edit: derp.... my bad. Ignore this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom