• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Citation needed. That's like staying don't drive a 75mph long term ;)

At wall reading is power draw times efficiently. So that's 611 * 0.85 = 520 (unless its a platinum rated PSU) so more like 550W PSU is fine, if its a good brand its usually capable of going some what over the rated power. A PSU will give you the power thats written on the sticker and then some.
Indeed, whats at the wall is not what the psu is drawing due to efficiency losses. To be safe it would be ideal to get something bigger wattage but i think even if i swapped a i7 10700k in there i would be fine for awhile.

Associate
This is just an indication of what you would need if planning to overclock.

5900X will pull up to ~200W OC
6900XT 350W OC (Will be limited to the maximum 375W from the 2x8pin (300w) plus 75W from the PCIe slot).
Plus allow 100W for RAM, NVMe's, SSD's, Fans, and peripherals connected to the PC. That will be 650W, but then you will need to allow for the PSU efficiency, so let's say you have a 90% efficient PSU. You you will need to add another 65W to the above for the draw from the wall. So 715W is the min you will need for overclocking, so look for at least a 750W PSU if you plan to overclock.

Associate
Can't you sell the B450 and buy the x570 for not much more? Depends what CPU you have I suppose

I've got a 3900X @ 4.4 all core. It's going in my partner's PC to replace her 2700X. I could get an X570 motherboard but it's more the faff of doing a board swap. Though I am tempted to get a AMD 6800XT so it might be good to have that AMD SMA that I'd get if I went X570. The other factor is I game at 3440*1440 so gains will be on the smaller end of the scale.

Soldato
You don't want your PSU near its maximum load in workloads like gaming. That's all i'm saying, if your components pull 500 Watt's a 600 Watt PSU would be better than a 550 Watt PSU.

Still not going to agree with this :D honestly it is old hat for that issue and assuming you are not buying a no-name brand PSU that isn't rated at all. I have had a 500watt PSU in my system for 6 years pulling close to that no problem. I upgraded a year ago purely cause it was free but was never needed and never had issue. The fact is a PSU is within about 3-5% between 50% & 100% load these days.

90% is more than fine for 100% a day operation.

https://www.velocitymicro.com/blog/what-is-psu-efficiency-and-why-is-it-important/

Caporegime
I have an EVGA 650 GS. always was overkill for what i needed but for the past 4 years that i have owned it its run many different components and it will run many more in years to come.

It was an expensive high end PSU but for the decade that i will own it i don't have to worry about it, or even think about it, i have been burned by lesser PSU's twice, its a false economy.

Soldato
I've got a 3900X @ 4.4 all core. It's going in my partner's PC to replace her 2700X. I could get an X570 motherboard but it's more the faff of doing a board swap. Though I am tempted to get a AMD 6800XT so it might be good to have that AMD SMA that I'd get if I went X570. The other factor is I game at 3440*1440 so gains will be on the smaller end of the scale.
If I had a 3900X I woulnt be upgrading at all (also run 3440 x 1440) unless you do lots of productivity work of course. I actually thinking about getting a 3900X instead of 5000 series.
I'm coming from a [email protected] so should notice quite a difference. 3900X > 5900X I dont think you'll notice much

Associate
Honestly I think it is on purpose cause of stock. If everyone knew what to go for then there wouldn't be FOMO, there wouldn't be people buying a higher SKU they don't need, there wont be the same number and when they are likely to sell out then it is fine because those looking at reviews will be a few days later or more and will get when a second drop occurs etc.
There are some rumours going around that there may be shortages after initial stock is gone. Hopefully not true.

I think it's a case of "old ways" that they haven't corrected yet. They need to be more transparent.

Caporegime
There are some rumours going around that there may be shortages after initial stock is gone. Hopefully not true.

I think it's a case of "old ways" that they haven't corrected yet. They need to be more transparent.

They are making 2 consoles, GPU's and CPU's all on the same node, AMD basically own that node at this point but that's a lot of high demand stuff on one node.

Soldato

This, 100% this. Why not just say "We don't know how many we are getting" or "There are only 100 of each product because of XYZ, be quick!"

Something about price rises would be nice too, even if it's "They are in high demand and we want to make more money" :D

Soldato
The emphasis with the last line is the smileys not the clip - its just a funny video and I've yet to find anyone who can actually get offended by it. Literally just for fun, and I've had some great counter clips posted which also give good lols. Strictly good natured and in jest, I know you're not fanboying :)

I agree, the price rises suck. I spent several hours ranting about it the night before last on this thread I think actually? The fact of the matter is that as soon as AMD managed to become premium they were going to take the price ground that Intel have prepared gamers for over the last few years. Like for like AMD still manages to squeak in cheaper if you look at 10th gen Intel launch prices, they've priced carefully to be able to do so and to have people counter with that argument. I was lowballing a bit of fun at AMD poster boys with my reply to you too but I probably wasn't sarcastic enough for people to pick up on that given I haven't posted here that much.

AMD have been the value champs for years because they had to be, now they don't. I still don't think those cheaper i3 and i5 cpus are any good though because Intel paywall memory overclocking. You end up spending £300 regardless if you're an enthusiast because who wants 2666mhz memory for gaming?

I will see how the Ryzen 7 3700X prices look like this year,and what price AMD hopes to have the Ryzen 5 5600 non-X at,and make a decision. It will be interesting to see if AMD will unlock XMP memory settings on cheaper motherboards though - the previous generation ones could run RAM at XMP IIRC.

Associate
AMD aren't going to do drop the NDA on reviews until after launch/purchase because:
They still won't be the "the world's best gaming CPU" in benchmarks

Permabanned
EmDpiwHWkAMDqUj

EmDphl8W0AMD4x7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom