• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (Ryzen 4000) already in the works

Soldato
Good but expected news really.

Any idea what the 670 boards are going to bring thats puts them ahead of the 570 ones? I cant really see anything new come out. Dont think anybody expects pcie 5 or ddr5 that early so not sure what they could add.

One of the changes is faster USB transfer speeds. Not much else is known but maybe they can optimized the PCH design so they don't need to use fans on the board

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

One of the changes is faster USB transfer speeds. Not much else is known but maybe they can optimized the PCH design so they don't need to use fans on the board

Ah yes thats good. More USB ports that are are at 2x2 (20gbps) speeds

Associate
https://wccftech.com/amd-zen-3-4000...chipset-landing-in-late-2020-getting-usb-4-0/
Rumor about 600 series chipsets to have USB 4.0, possibly Thunderbolt 3, which is nice.
Launching end 2020.

From this they draw conclusion that Zen 3 will not release before that, possibly even 2021 at CES.

Makes sense from AMD standpoint. No need to rush things, they are in a good spot.
At least for me, the rumors about Zen 3 being a major improvement over Zen 2, has stopped me thinking about buying now.

Soldato
USB 4.0 is Thunderbolt 3.0 for all intents and purposes. Intel gave USB consortium free use of it to promote adoption of the technology.

They've (AMD) already said Zen3 is out this year. :)

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

USB 4.0 on Zen3 would be a very welcome addition, it will be incredible.

No wonder that PC sales figures actually went up this year after about 7 years, almost definitely in thanks to AMD's recent resurgence. (Not to mention mass adoption to windows 10 from crusty old windows 7)

Soldato
USB 4.0 is Thunderbolt 3.0 for all intents and purposes. Intel gave USB consortium free use of it to promote adoption of the technology.

They've (AMD) already said Zen3 is out this year. :)

lisa never said Zen 3 is out this year, though I do think it will be out by the end of the year. Lisa said she would show us Zen 3 this year, not sell it to us this year

Permabanned
lisa never said Zen 3 is out this year, though I do think it will be out by the end of the year. Lisa said she would show us Zen 3 this year, not sell it to us this year

Launch date and Pricing: The Zen 3 design is already taped and ready for mass-production. We should see the first wave of Ryzen 4000 chips hit retail in the second half of 2020. Just like the 3rd Gen parts, their successors will be priced at the same points. You can expect heavy discounts by mid-2020 on the older Matisse parts as retailers clear their inventory to make way for newer chips.

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/amd-ryzen-4000-7nm-zen-3-specifications-release-date-and-pricing/

https://medium.com/@areejsyed/amd-r...cations-release-date-and-pricing-c3259941e314

Associate
Dr. Lisa Su at CeS:

"You should expect that we’re going to be very aggressive with the CPU roadmap. We think Zen 2 is the best CPU core out there today, and we’re very proud of it. We’ve completed the family and Zen 3 is doing really well, we’re very pleased about it and you’ll hear more about it in 2020. Rather than ask me the question three times Ian [laughs], let me clear: you will see Zen 3 in 2020!"

EPYC should be first anyway so that will be Zen 3 in 2020 and also Ryzen 4000 if they can or want to.
Who cares if it's another 3 months or so as even if the IPC is good it still won't be the game changer that Zen 2 was in terms of core counts.
Zen 4 on 5nm is where it might well make the next massive leap.

Soldato
I am more excited by these upcoming CPUs than any GPU. I keep putting off buying another CPU, but the levels of performance that 4000 are looking to bring look amazing. Refining what is already great about Ryzen, I suspect they will finely out do Intel in single thread. "Hopefully" whilst keeping their disruptive pricing at least for the time being.

I am sure people who don't really need thread ripper are already forking out money for it due to insane multi core perf.

Caporegime
With the B550 boards still MIA and games like Cyberpunk 2077 and Dying Light 2 suffering long delays, I might just end up waiting for the 4000 series :D

I'm tempted to switch but with the frequency I'm running at (and games not really taking advantage of a lot of cores yet) I'm better off waiting for Zen3 too.

Associate
EPYC should be first anyway so that will be Zen 3 in 2020 and also Ryzen 4000 if they can or want to.
Who cares if it's another 3 months or so as even if the IPC is good it still won't be the game changer that Zen 2 was in terms of core counts.
This is more likely. They will tease Zen 3 performance at Computex, launch Epyc end of year, then Ryzen 4000 in 2021 as new motherboards appear.

Sucks to be me, decided to wait for Ryzen 4k.
But again, makes sense for AMD.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

quite glad AMD are taking their time and not just rushing to release something exactly every 12 months.

Also gives users more of a reason to buy a new CPU knowing it can be used for a longer period of time without having to worry about upgrading.

Back
Top Bottom