• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen 4" thread (inc AM5/APU discussion) ***

I think the most impressive thing is the Geekbench 5 Zen 4 single threaded results:
~2175 for the 7600X
~2275 for the 7950X

From this slide:

Both ahead of the 12900K and KS
Probably also ahead of the 13900 and 13700K, based on the Geekbench scores, here:

Each core is about 4x times faster in this benchmark, than my dad's current CPU, the i7 950! Ought to be enough for his next PC...

No matter which brand you prefer, I'm seriously glad the era of <10% improvement per gen seems to be over...

We should enjoy it while it lasts, the moment one of them drops the ball we're immediately back to 2% improvement every 18 months again.

Its a shame that AMD had to announce that 3d cache is "coming soon" rather than timing the rollout simultaneously. It makes me feel like 7000 series is being launched only partially complete.
Combined with the inevitable early adopters tax of motherboard issues on a new platform and I think this would be a hard pass for me if I were looking at upgrading.

Its a shame that AMD had to announce that 3d cache is "coming soon" rather than timing the rollout simultaneously. It makes me feel like 7000 series is being launched only partially complete.
Combined with the inevitable early adopters tax of motherboard issues on a new platform and I think this would be a hard pass for me if I were looking at upgrading.
3D cache likely needs some fine tuning plus it's something useful for a mid gen refresh...

No matter which brand you prefer, I'm seriously glad the era of <10% improvement per gen seems to be over...
Not really, we stll are in the 10% era when it comes to amd. The 7600x should be around 80 to 90% faster at best than the 1700 at similar price points. Thats in 7-8 years. Just a tiny bit over 10% per year. Stagnation at its finest

Not really, we stll are in the 10% era when it comes to amd. The 7600x should be around 80 to 90% faster at best than the 1700 at similar price points. Thats in 7-8 years. Just a tiny bit over 10% per year. Stagnation at its finest
yet its competing with the competition , Im I wrong in thinking Intel didnt do single digit improvements gen on gen in the past ?? and staying on quad core for sometime ??

looking at the increase from zen 3 to zen4 it looks pretty decent to me +29% Performance Uplift In Single-Threaded Apps

Through 2025 means that we will definitely see at least four generations of Zen CPUs on the platform including the upcoming Zen 4, Zen 4 V-Cache, Zen 5, and whatever comes after that. All of these are expected between 2022-2025

hope it continues longer

I honestly don't get some of the comments on these threads. I remember Intel high thread count processors were HEDT over a £1000 territory. The only reason you are getting these core counts at these prices is because of AMD being competitive. Competition is good. It drives companies on. I read some of these comments and the "Intel is doing this, it's going to be faster that". To be honest they should have been doing these things years ago being the industry leader but better late than never. It only took a company on the brink of bankruptcy (the Zen arch was realistically the last roll of the dice for AMD) to wake them up. Just want people to think about what their typing, I want both to do well as this is the most excited i've been with this industry for years, due to finally having two companies so evenly matched with core counts, 5+GHZ etc. It shouldn't be a slanging match but a bit of thanking AMD for getting us to this place where we are now would not go amiss.

Honestly its pathetic.. Grown ass people arguing about minimal details that in reality dont bloody matter.

Good to see more news come out but I’m interested in the 7xxx X3D versions. As a 5800X3D owner I will sit this one out as I don’t think there will be much a significant increase in performance for gaming.

Good to see more news come out but I’m interested in the 7xxx X3D versions. As a 5800X3D owner I will sit this one out as I don’t think there will be much a significant increase in performance for gaming.

I personally think Zen5 is where it will be at:

I could see Zen5 increasing core counts per tier. So probably Zen5 "big cores" and Zen4D "little cores". Then probably an updated platform with universal PCI-E 5.0 on cheaper motherboards,and higher speed/lower latency DDR5.

yet its competing with the competition , Im I wrong in thinking Intel didnt do single digit improvements gen on gen in the past ?? and staying on quad core for sometime ??

looking at the increase from zen 3 to zen4 it looks pretty decent to me +29% Performance Uplift In Single-Threaded Apps
Im pretty sure intel gave us more performance increases in their stagnant years than amd does today. 2700k to 8700k (2010 to 2017) for example.

But it doesnt matter anyways, this forum doesmt really care about facts so lets pretend amd is skyrocketing performance every year contrary to what intel was doing

Im pretty sure intel gave us more performance increases in their stagnant years than amd does today. 2700k to 8700k (2010 to 2017) for example.

But it doesnt matter anyways, this forum doesmt really care about facts so lets pretend amd is skyrocketing performance every year contrary to what intel was doing
Priceless

Back
Top Bottom