• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen 4" thread (inc AM5/APU discussion) ***

Rocking my 3900x and gaming either at 3440x1440 144hz or 4k 60hz (depending if I'm sat at my desk or racing rig), am I missing out on much here? Currently 2080ti but keeping eye on the 4 series...thinking that will be a better purchase in the short term...

No they don't, 120 watts measured at the EPS rail for the 5950X.

Steve Burk, Gamers Nexus.

You should watch the 5900X review from GN as well, they got the 120W on the 5950X due to silicon quality but the 5900X they reviewed got 133W.

See below for more information on what's considered the defaults:

Package Power Tracking (“PPT”): The PPT threshold is the allowed socket power consumption permitted across the voltage rails supplying the socket. Applications with high thread counts, and/or “heavy” threads, can encounter PPT limits that can be alleviated with a raised PPT limit.

Default for Socket AM4 is at least 142W on motherboards rated for 105W TDP processors.
Default for Socket AM4 is at least 88W on motherboards rated for 65W TDP processors.

Thermal Design Current (“TDC”): The maximum current (amps) that can be delivered by a specific motherboard’s voltage regulator configuration in thermally-constrained scenarios.

Default for socket AM4 is at least 95A on motherboards rated for 105W TDP processors.
Default for socket AM4 is at least 60A on motherboards rated for 65W TDP processors.

Electrical Design Current (“EDC”): The maximum current (amps) that can be delivered by a specific motherboard’s voltage regulator configuration in a peak (“spike”) condition for a short period of time.

Default for socket AM4 is 140A on motherboards rated for 105W TDP processors.
Default for socket AM4 is 90A on motherboards rated for 65W TDP processors.

TSMC 4nm confirmed for Zen 5 desktop processors in 2024 (q4?):

Some 4nm used for the Zen 4 line-up also, probably enterprise only.

Rocking my 3900x and gaming either at 3440x1440 144hz or 4k 60hz (depending if I'm sat at my desk or racing rig), am I missing out on much here? Currently 2080ti but keeping eye on the 4 series...thinking that will be a better purchase in the short term...
If you lower the settings (that depend on the GPU), can the 3900x keep up to 144fps or the GPU is still limiting the frame rate? Do you want 144fps, are you happy with less? Even at higher resolutions the CPU can matter, especially in low fps scenarios and even more so in ultrawide / multi display setups where the FoV is larger than usual (ergo, more stuff to be prepared for render => the need of a stronger CPU).

Here is an issue raised by someone about the AMD presentation, https://youtu.be/FVesi8Uj78s?t=1277
That's just BS. Im not the biggest fan of AMD, but their testing afaik was flawless. 6000c30 isn't slow ram by any means, and they used the same ram for both. They could just as easily use officially supported ram, which is 4800 for Intel, to give themselves an advantage but they didn't, they took the high road approach. Also we need to remember, they were comparing their cheapest CPU with the most expensive one from Intel, so yeah. Yes, in a real world scenario you can use 7000c30 ram on Intel and be faster than the 7600x, but that's missing the point

Maybe I will jump aboard AMD given how awesome AM5 looks so far from the showcase. If all appears to be true once reviewers like Jay/GN etc get their hands on them, then yeah count me in the running for upgrading from 12700KF :cool:

How much faster than a 3600? ;)

Honesty my CPU is still fine. I'd prefer to wait for a 8C/16T game I want. PCIE5, DDR5 (and 2.5Gbe) are nice to have, AM5 and all the future support is the real selling point. The only reason I'd get Intel is more control for undervolting and overclocking slightly.

Back
Top Bottom