• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen 4" thread (inc AM5/APU discussion) ***

Some sites are reporting the 7600X will be a 105W TDP chip which gives me concerns for cooling for the higher chips at least when it comes to my cooling setup. I don't know what effect the smaller heat-spreader will have on cooling either but I cannot imagine it being a positive change..l
I'm sure you'll have the option to set TDP to 65w and lose a bit of all core boost if you want to keep cooling requirements to a minimum.

I honestly don't get some of the comments on these threads. I remember Intel high thread count processors were HEDT over a £1000 territory. The only reason you are getting these core counts at these prices is because of AMD being competitive. Competition is good. It drives companies on. I read some of these comments and the "Intel is doing this, it's going to be faster that". To be honest they should have been doing these things years ago being the industry leader but better late than never. It only took a company on the brink of bankruptcy (the Zen arch was realistically the last roll of the dice for AMD) to wake them up. Just want people to think about what their typing, I want both to do well as this is the most excited i've been with this industry for years, due to finally having two companies so evenly matched with core counts, 5+GHZ etc. It shouldn't be a slanging match but a bit of thanking AMD for getting us to this place where we are now would not go amiss.

My oh my. If those are the actual prices... Yikes. Its been 6 years in a row that they kept the same corecount, now if they also establish these crazy prices for the 6 core and 8 core parts...its a disaster.

300 for a 6 core part and 450 for an 8 core should be illegal.

same prices as Zen3 was two years ago.

7600X is $300.
AMD is claiming 6% to 35% better performance on Ryzen 9 7950X compared to Ryzen 9 5950X in games. In rendering tools including V-Ray Render, Corona or POV Ray, the performance uplift is from 32 to 48%.

But a tuned Core i5 12600K can be close to one too and a Core i5 13600K will probably beat a Core i9 12900K. But this is the sort of normal progress we should expect.

Don't know what kind of tuning could be done with am5 yet , I wouldn't buy 6 cores anyway unless the price is much lower

Don't know what kind of tuning could be done with am5 yet , I wouldn't buy 6 cores anyway unless the price is much lower

More the point I was trying to make was the 6 core Intel CPUs of the same generation are not too far off the 8 core model,so a new generation AMD six core should beat it(as should the new Intel 6 core at a later date). So its progress,but its what you would expect. I think going by Zen3 pricing it was best to wait until Intel releases it's newer CPUs,and to let prices settle first - especially with the economic problems coming if there is a general worldwide slowdown in consumer sales of electronics.

That 170W is misleading as with Zen it has always been roughly 30% higher so for example the 105W chips pull 142W TDP and the 65W chips pull 88W TDP so it would translate into the 170W chips possibly hitting 220W TDP under full load, that's quite toasty. Honestly based on first party benchmarks I don't see these chips being as good value right now because of the cost of the entire upgrade and as a gamer only the 3D-Vcache models are likely going to entice me at this point. Hell I'd switch to the 5800X3D if it had undervolting...

Update: The 88W/142W are full load amounts which you will likely not see outside of certain workloads and poor silicon quality

That 170W is misleading as with Zen it has always been roughly 30% higher so for example the 105W chips pull 142W TDP and the 65W chips pull 88W TDP so it would translate into the 170W chips hitting 220W TDP under full load, that's quite toasty. Honestly based on first party benchmarks I don't see these chips being as good value right now because of the cost of the entire upgrade and as a gamer only the 3D-Vcache models are likely going to entice me at this point. Hell I'd switch to the 5800X3D if it had undervolting...

No they don't, 120 watts measured at the EPS rail for the 5950X.

Steve Burk, Gamers Nexus.

Back
Top Bottom