• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen 4" thread (inc AM5/APU discussion) ***

The more I look at that chart the funnier it gets :cry:

Not only are they saying a 3800x, 3900x and 3700x all draw more power than the 7950x, but they're also saying a 3950x draws 130w more than a 5950x and having owned both - that's just BS

Here are some more gems: 3800XT uses 90w less than 3800x, 10980xe uses 150w less than 9980xe

Last edited:
can anyone honestly say that an 8 core 7700X isn't going to be enough for there needs in the next couple of years (remember that Zen 5 on 4nm will be released at the end of 2024, and these will no doubt out class anything available today).

In 6-9 months, there will also be the V-cache CPUs for higher minimum framerates in games (well above 60 FPS).

I'm genuinely curious what kind of tasks might benefit from higher core counts.

I know that it can help a huge amount with compile / shader loading times in Unreal Engine 4 (and presumably 5 too). I think 12/16 core CPUs are probably worth it for game developers.

What other usage scenarios might there be?

Last edited:
can anyone honestly say that an 8 core 7700X isn't going to be enough for there needs in the next couple of years (remember that Zen 5 on 4nm will be released at the end of 2024).

Then there will be the V-cache CPUs for higher minimum framerates in games (well above 60 FPS).

I'm genuinely curious what kind of tasks might benefit from higher core counts.

I know that it can help a huge amount with compile / shader loading times in Unreal Engine 4 (and presumably 5 too). I think 12/16 core CPUs are probably worth it for game developers.

Any other usage scenarios might there be?
A 5800X will be fine for the next 2 years so I'm sure a 7700X will be, I think a 5600X will start to struggle though which is why it's it's always best to buy 8+ cores if you afford it.

Problem is these come out tomorrow than we have the wait for Raptor Lake!

Add the wait for nvidia/AMD GPUs and it’s going to be a long few months!

If building new system Raptor lake will be on dead platform won't get another

AM5 will at the minimum will get zen4 3d, zen5 , zen5 3d even if you don't plan to upgrade still will have that option open

If building new system Raptor lake will be on dead platform won't get another

AM5 will at the minimum will get zen4 3d, zen5 , zen5 3d even if you don't plan to upgrade still will have that option open
That's an irrelevant argument, considering AMD (if - ofcourse they stay on the same track) will need at least 4 years for their R5 model to match the 13600k in performance. Im not even making this up, do the numbers, with an average of 20-25% gen on gen MT increase theyll need 2 gens to even get close (let alone surpass) to the 13600ks prowess. They really dropped the ball on the low end. The 7950x on the other hand seems to be excellent.

Last edited:
That's an irrelevant argument, considering AMD (if - ofcourse they stay on the same track) will need at least 4 years for their R5 model to match the 13600k in performance. Im not even making this up, do the numbers, with an average of 20-25% gen on gen MT increase theyll need 2 gens to even get close (let alone surpass) to the 13600ks prowess. They really dropped the ball on the low end. The 7950x on the other hand seems to be excellent.

Why wouldn't they stay on track they showed the road map

As my primary is gaming my preference would be AMD as you may already have seen 3d gives nice uplift in gaming and zen5 will also be getting it

So you already know the performance of zen5 I guess the bias is just astonishing

Last edited:
You are making this up, you have zero idea of teh performance figures for Zen 4 3D or Zen 5 which is a totally new architecure with apparently double teh core count across teh board. It is fine if you do not like AMD, that is your perogative and i rteally do not care, please though stop constantly derailing AMD threads with your pro Intel rhetoric, it is really boring.Unless you are Mystic Meg you do not knwo the future so please stop pretending that you do.

Looking at this review (more like an an early preview), the 7700X could end up being one of the strongest of the series, relative to Zen 3:

That's because it has the same TDP rating of the last gen 8 core CPU (5800X), with a 21% higher clock rate.

In general, it's one of the most power efficient CPUs:

amd-7700x-efficiency-power.png

"Unlike its higher-end brothers, Zen4 [Ryzen 7 7700X] maintains the same TDP/Turbo power and thus is the same 39% more power efficient than Zen3."

In comparison, the 7950X doesn't really offer many more 'points' per watt (comparing stock settings):

Last edited:
Looking at this review (more like an an early preview), the 7700X could end up being one of the strongest of the series, relative to Zen 3:

That's because it has the same TDP rating of the last gen 8 core CPU (5800X), with a 21% higher clock rate.

In general, it's one of the most power efficient CPUs:

amd-7700x-efficiency-power.png

But but the intel wasn't tuned buhhhhh , just saving him from replying :)

And how's the market at the moment? The last time I built a decent PC a couple years back it took several months to get components. Are these CPUs likely to be selling out straight away?

Back
Top Bottom