• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen 4" thread (inc AM5/APU discussion) ***

Associate
Well, I think in this round we might have actually an interesting choice.
I'll take the assumption that Intel will have a slightly more powerful CPU VS Zen 4 in Raptor Lake at the cost of higher wattage so basically we'll be able to choose between raw power and efficiency.
I suspect the same will play in the GPUs.

So, if you want raw power go green and blue, if you value performance per watt go red!

Soldato
Serious question: if the things constantly Turbo until they hit 95 deg, how are we going to keep our fans and pumps silent-ish whilst still adapting to load?

I'm sure there's a solution, but not one which jumps out at me.
You set your fans to the maximum percent you feel comfortable with in terms of noise when the cpu hits 95c. With my t30 120 fans i would set them 60% @95c for example

Soldato
You set your fans to the maximum percent you feel comfortable with in terms of noise when the cpu hits 95c. With my t30 120 fans i would set them 60% @95c for example

I just run my fans at the maximum speed I will tolerate 24/7

Users who don't do that, will have lots of fan ramping up and down all the time with ryzen 7000

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
MSI x670 boards let you set your own temp target. Don't like your ryzen 7000 CPUs trying to boost to reach 95c? No problem, change it to 85c, 75c or even 65c in the MSI BIOS

Im pretty sure thay existed in x570 and all intel boards. Not exactly a target, but you could change the thermal throttling point.

I have to admit 95c is too much for 24/7 operation for my liking, but something like 85 to 90 feels better.

Soldato
you can set fans to delay so you dont get the ramping up and down I couldnt live with fans at 100% if I was just using pc for general tasks I dont even have curves set to 100%, at most around 60%

Last edited:
Associate
Users who don't do that, will have lots of fan ramping up and down all the time with ryzen 7000
I suspect PWM ratios may be different for the new boards since 95c is now a 24/7 safe point [not to mention the CPU itself will adjust itself to stop it going over this]

OcUK Staff
Going live in about 15 mins:
7950X @ £779
7900X @ £599
7700X @ £429
7600X @ £326

This slightly below AMD's revised UK GBP MSRP's due to a weakening pound as our stock landed before the pound totally collapsed. It does mean however our re-buys are higher than our current inventory so depending on how fast they sell or do not, prices will increase on the next wave of stock. Our re-buy on the 7950X has increased by £45-55 for your information due to pounds decline in past week.

We have stock, we also have a few hundred motherboards in stock too and plenty of DDR5 with more en-route.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ryzen 9 7950X Techspot review up now:

Average-p.webp

Link:
https://www.techspot.com/review/2535-amd-ryzen-7950x/

Newsflash, it runs hot.

Last edited:
Soldato
£779 for the top chip (ouch) kitguru said it would be £739, so much for it costing less or same as last gen :(, i get the pound is weak but still, i have a block to buy too, might have to hold off geting up and running for around a week or 2

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom