• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen 4" thread (inc AM5/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
Would have been nice if he tested stock rather than fixed clock. Yes 20c off is nice, but I want to know how much extra performance I'll get.

Thanks to other testing he's done on LN2, I know that every 20c off gets an extra 100mhz boost clock when it's stock. Hopefully the clock gains are more impressive with a full overclocking test run to see how high it can go

Agreed, the 20c seems huge but it'd be nice to see what that means in 'real terms', which for me would be with a decent air cooler and/or AIO with PBO etc rather than just a fixed clock.

But in general it does seem like de-lidding would be a really good idea for most people getting it. I wonder if they'll reduce the thickness in the future, either by reducing z-height (I assume not given the lengths they went to for AM4 compatibility) or whether the 3D Cache setups will inherently use a thinner IHS...

Associate
Not up to be an early adopter this time around, awaiting better DDR5 and hopefully less compromises on the motherboard i end up choosing. Have fun though :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not up to be an early adopter this time around, awaiting better DDR5 and hopefully less compromises on the motherboard i end up choosing. Have fun though
:)

Yeah, bad time to upgrade atm. DDR5 pricing and kits are heading in the right direction, but for a noticeable difference over well tuned DDR4 b-die, you need to spend a fair whack.

Last edited:
Associate
Assume it's due to the motherboards costing more than the CPU. Zen 4 is not going to sell at the mid-end until it gets motherboards that cost nearer a £100, but reports are lowest priced board for the B650 is likely to be around £150, Intel boards start at half that and the CPU's are cheaper.

Last edited:
Soldato
Assume it's due to the motherboards costing more than the CPU. Zen 4 is not going to sell at the mid-end until it gets motherboards that cost nearer a £100, but reports are lowest priced board for the B650 is likely to be around £150, Intel boards start at half that and the CPU's are cheaper.
which boards are £75 ? cheapest is around £101 looking around and are ddr4

but agree better just getting b650 board if want better value

Associate
which boards are £75 ? cheapest is around £101 looking around and are ddr4

but agree better just getting b650 board if want better value

Most of the H610's are around £80, but best to skip the H610's, the B660's though occasionally go below £90, with the good ones starting around £100.

The issue with the AMD B650's is that the likely rubbish ones start at around $125 (that price is from AMD themselves), so the ones actually worth using are likely to be nearer $200, so after taxes you are talking £200+ for a normal motherboard.

Back
Top Bottom