• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen 4" thread (inc AM5/APU discussion) ***

Seeems MSI boards already have temperature offsets

n37hkmgwgdq91.png

Not much difference all the way down to 65c, not bad.

Nothing like the excitement or hype from the prior Ryzen generations, sadly :(

Only just matching 12900k in gaming, running very hot, very expensive motherboards, DDR5 required, all negatives. Intel's 13th gen is about to tear this a new one as well...

Zen4 3D should be much more exciting, hopefully everything has matured by then as well.
doesnt ADL run hot you didnt seem to care but suddenly now you do and pretty sure 13th gen wont be any cooler :cry:

As you never owned one you probably dont know what curve optimizer is

Last edited:
Yup pretty underwhelming positive is doesn't give me the urge to buy

If I was looking I would probably wait for the b650 boards

Last edited:
7900x and Vengeance 32GB for me, currently hovering over the buy button, the problem is the motherboard.

Really wanted the MSI MEG Ace, but its come in at the predicted eye watering £850..... Anyone else considering it?
Really want the built-in 10gb NIC and 4 m.2 slots (without the next for expansion card).

Got mine.

7950X, X670E Hero, Vengeance 64GB.

Expensive afternoon...... The foundations of a new survey / modelling rig for my new business so at least I get the VAT back. Waiting on the RTX 4090 now.
Went for the same parts, ordered one of the new Be Quiet 360 rads as seems to fully support AM5 out of the box. Will be using it for UE5 and VR game dev. Was spurred by the positive results of puget's review.

Nothing like the excitement or hype from the prior Ryzen generations, sadly :(

Only just matching 12900k in gaming, running very hot, very expensive motherboards, DDR5 required, all negatives. Intel's 13th gen is about to tear this a new one as well...

Zen4 3D should be much more exciting, hopefully everything has matured by then as well.
It isn't that bad. The 12900k is £610 for a start so a 7600x at £326 matching that performance is solid and we would be in a much better position if £ hadn't crashed.

The mobo for X670E are expensive but so is the Intel equivalent. The Gigabyte Aorus xtreme z690 is £860+ depending on retailer. The AMD version on release is £780. Yeah still stupid monies but still also £80 cheaper. It is the lower end missing but that is for the B series soon to come, like weeks not months.

RAM for both new Intel and AMD is of course same price and to get best performance will be needed but you can get 32GB DDR5 6000Mhz for about £190.

Running 95c is fine and literally what it is designed to do and works as intended, you can have lower performance by X% by setting an eco mode if you want to run cooler and for gaming it wont be maxing out either temp or power in 99% of titles at realistic resolutions as shown in testing so far.

It isn't that bad. The 12900k is £610 for a start so a 7600x at £326 matching that performance is solid and we would be in a much better position if £ hadn't crashed.

The mobo for X670E are expensive but so is the Intel equivalent. The Gigabyte Aorus xtreme z690 is £860+ depending on retailer. The AMD version on release is £780. Yeah still stupid monies but still also £80 cheaper. It is the lower end missing but that is for the B series soon to come, like weeks not months.

RAM for both new Intel and AMD is of course same price and to get best performance will be needed but you can get 32GB DDR5 6000Mhz for about £190.

Running 95c is fine and literally what it is designed to do and works as intended, you can have lower performance by X% by setting an eco mode if you want to run cooler and for gaming it wont be maxing out either temp or power in 99% of titles at realistic resolutions as shown in testing so far.
The problem with that analogy is you can get a 12600kf for around £250, a Z690 for £150 and 32gb of Bdie for under £150 which will do 4000mhz with some overclocking and also match a 12900k.

I think the best way to describe the 95c thing is this:

The CPU knows it can run at 95c, so it just thinks how far can i clock to get to 95c? and then just clocks its self until it hits 95c.

Obviously there are limits to that, its not going to clock its self to 7Ghz if it can do that at 95c, but you see the point, its not a fixed frequency CPU, its also not new, my 5800X behaves in a similar way, not all Zen 3 CPU's do because of socket power limitations, the 5800X is an 8 core CPU with the same power limits as the 16 core 5950X so it just goes woooop 8 cores 120 watts 95c is up there away i go....

Last edited:
I think the best way to describe the 95c thing is this:

The CPU knows it can run at 95c, so it just thinks how far can i clock to get to 95c? and then just clocks its self until it hits 95c.

Obviously there are limits to that, its not going to clock its self to 7Ghz if it can do that at 95c, but you see the point, its not a fixed frequency CPU, its also not new, my 5800X behaves in a similar way, not all Zen 3 CPU's do because of socket power limitations, the 5800X is an 8 core CPU with the same power limits as the 16 core 5950X so it just goes woooop 8 cores 120 watts 95c is up there away i go....
Would you not have concerns with a cpu running 95c though, I remember when ampere arrived people got pretty freaked out at the VRAM running at 90+c to the point that they were taking apart their cards and swapping out the pads.

Would you not have concerns with a cpu running 95c though, I remember when ampere arrived people got pretty freaked out at the VRAM running at 90+c to the point that they were taking apart their cards and swapping out the pads.

We should listen to the manufacturers. Do we care that mosfets hit 100c+?

Alderlake also goes higher under 100% loads like Prime95 and hits 100c, people have seemed happy with this so far.

No, i've had my 5800X for two years and its regular used under high load with not 95c as i have tuned it but above 80c, health wise the silicon is exactly the same today as it was the day i installed it.

I think whats going on here is the upper limit of the CPU is higher than that 95c, probably 115c and AMD have set it to 95c so it doesn't burn out the silicon.

It seems to me these days everything runs hotter, your cited Ampere Memory IC's, Intel CPU's can run at over 100c and it doesn't bother them, especially in laptops where they run at high temperatures if you breath on it, i do think we need to get over our anxiety of these sort of temperatures, its not a problem.

Last edited:
The problem with that analogy is you can get a 12600kf for around £250, a Z690 for £150 and 32gb of Bdie for under £150 which will do 4000mhz with some overclocking and also match a 12900k.
I wasn't suggesting otherwise but saying oh it only matches the 12900k as to what I replied too so it rubbish isn't really an answer. My housemate got 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 for £140 almost 2 weeks ago. It can be found. So if you take that and a B650 board you are going to be within £50 then on a new gen with upgrade potential for at least another 2 generations.

No Intel CPUs ran that hot too depending on workload. We have now also clearly seen PBO settings for different temp settings where actually setting it to 85c instead of stock gave a 1% improvement and locking it down to 65c only lost 1.5% performance. Since that is a simple setting in Ryzen Master or Bios depending on setup then I don't think that critical either if you was really worried.

Back
Top Bottom