• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen 4" thread (inc AM5/APU discussion) ***

Weird to see the 7700X coming out on top in games (on average), ahead of the 7950X.

Again, seems like this is probably down to latency between the 2 CCXs on the 16 core CPU.

Last edited:
You know what else is a good idea?

If they had a light wight app that loaded with Windows that has a few basic system readouts like a lot of apps these days have but primarily a series of buttons for different power modes, like for example:

ECO mode 65 Watt
ECO mode 125 Watt
ECO mode 170 watt
High performance Mode
Personal Profile 1, 2 and 3...

It just sits in your system tray so you can open it up, click a button to select from one on the options, sometimes people might like to render a video but on that day they don't want the CPU doing it running at 240 watts, save some electricity and do it under the 125 watt profile, with the way that energy costs are going, and the increasing environmental consciousness among people, it might be appreciated.

What you have just described is basically Ryzen master :D

I wonder if AMD will try to design a larger CCX next time around (for Zen 5), to avoid the problems associated with having multiple CCXs (at least for a 16 core CPU).

Last edited:
What you have just described is basically Ryzen master :D

I'm talking about something that loads with windows, sit in your system tray, is just a little quick access app

Ryzen Master isn't that, it has an ECO button in a sub menu but its main focus is a large complex app for accessing pretty much everything in your BIOS on your desktop, which is fantastic, but its not simple and convinient for what i'm talking about.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'm probably atypical in this crowd but I'm interested in the APU capabilities of Ryzen 7. I don't game, I just want the power for productivity. But I have an unusally large monitor: 5K2K, that's 5120x2160. Specifically it's a Dell UltraSharp 40 Curved WUHD Monitor - U4021QW fwiw. 60Hz max refresh via Display Port only (HDMI is 30Hz).

I saw in reviews that the Ryzen 7 can actually do DP2, though the motherboards I've seen don't have that. Could a 7900 drive that display at 60Hz without a discrete graphics card. It might tip the balance to buying one if so.

I'm probably atypical in this crowd but I'm interested in the APU capabilities of Ryzen 7. I don't game, I just want the power for productivity. But I have an unusally large monitor: 5K2K, that's 5120x2160. Specifically it's a Dell UltraSharp 40 Curved WUHD Monitor - U4021QW fwiw. 60Hz max refresh via Display Port only (HDMI is 30Hz).

I saw in reviews that the Ryzen 7 can actually do DP2, though the motherboards I've seen don't have that. Could a 7900 drive that display at 60Hz without a discrete graphics card. It might tip the balance to buying one if so.
Ryzen 7000 series has two display pipes, HDMI2.1 and DP2.0. It will depend on what display connections the motherboard has, some may only have DP1.4. Either way, it should support the resolutions you need.

Seems a bit weird when there’s a 4090 coming out later with only DP1.4.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElT
Ryzen 7000 series has two display pipes, HDMI2.1 and DP2.0. It will depend on what display connections the motherboard has, some may o oh have DP1.4. Either way, it should support the resolutions you need.

Seems a bit weird when there’s a 4090 coming out later with only DP1.4.
I noticed that, too. I find it hilarious. Especially as I'm 90% sure RDNA 3 cards will have DP2 as well.

Okay, thanks for the reply. So if I can find a motherboard with DP2.0 on it, I should be good to go. Cheers.

Separately - why is my avatar a woman? A hot one admittedly, but still...

Scales pretty well at lower voltages then.

Perhaps he could have tried getting the maximum possible frequency at ~1.2v, and whilst keeping the clockrate roughly at stock.

Generally, which I've heard is that it is voltage rather than temperatures, that cause CPUs to degrade, so I doubt running at 1.2v could be considered undesirable.

Agreed, this guy went too far, no one is gonna drop clocks on a 7950x then they should have bought something else. He should have focused on lowest voltage while maintaining stock clocks like Optimum Tech did.

But that YouTuber is also amateur hour; in his video from yesterday, he was claiming Ryzen 7000 has a stuttering problem in games when in fact it's an Nvidia GPU problem that's just been fixed with a new windows update from Microsoft

Back
Top Bottom