• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen 4" thread (inc AM5/APU discussion) ***

Absolutely
Could just reduce the temp limit in BIOS or even leave it in stock.
These chips are very intelligent about how they reduce the clocks when hitting temp limit, no dumb throttling.
Thanks, I think this is the way forward. Even performance limited it will give me what I need which is a short term upgrade from my 4790k with room to upgrade everything later down the line

I might just jump on when 3D v is released if prices drop on DDR5, B650e boards although likely not jump to zen5 3d option is open later and who knows AMD might support the socket beyond that

Anyone know if EXPO ram is needed for AM5? Got Kingston 6400 kit coming and not even sure if it's ok, or even if it's on any QVL for that matter.

None EXPO works but you will manually have to set it up in the BIOS, automatic profiles won't work.
We have also found some none EXPO will want to run 200MHz slower than where you set it.

Kingston seems to work fine however. :)

Starting to see very impressive results with undervolting crazy how out of the box it's so aggressive with power . Can lower it a lot without losing performance whilst lowering temps

Hope they let you tweak the 3d version this time would love to jump on b650e board with one of these no rush though only if prices get better

Last edited:
None EXPO works but you will manually have to set it up in the BIOS, automatic profiles won't work.
We have also found some none EXPO will want to run 200MHz slower than where you set it.

Kingston seems to work fine however. :)
Does that include needing to set a long list of the sub timings or is it just the main ones like you see on the sticks?

I think it might stretch its lead a little with the 4090 / 7900XT

Going by Intel's gaming slide the 13900k looked barely faster over the 5800x3d and they had it on ddr4 at 3200mhz . And Intel's lower sku are only gonna be slower that's even before talking about 3d zen4

Going by Intel's gaming slide the 13900k looked barely faster over the 5800x3d and they had it on ddr4 at 3200mhz . And Intel's lower sku are only gonna be slower that's even before talking about 3d zen4

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. :)

However, the 7700X in that is 19.1% faster than the 5950X, 13% faster than the 12900K, its going to be tight, but when AMD launches Zen 4X3D its going to be a bloodbath...

Back
Top Bottom