• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

MLIDs claims:

1) Zen5 was launched in a state similar to engineering samples and with broken software. Hopefully performance can be fixed with future code updates.

2) AMD's marketing team completely lied and made up fake benchmark numbers; much of this is due to poor internal communication between marketing and engineering.

If that's true then Lisa Su really needs to get a grip of these design teams and bash some heads. Intel leaves with an open goal and then you go to shoot only trip and fall over, to me it's comical but someone at AMD is probably getting in the neck big time.

Not a great launch but on the plus side they shouldn't have to worry about the chips degrading hopefully. With the trouble Intel is in at the moment they should have gone for the kill and been far more aggressive with the prices.

Last edited:
Maybe there is some limited to the architecture of Ryzen now and it needs to be looked at. Not sure exactly what has happened here but are their latest best motherboards out yet ?

All the leaks suggested a 15% IPC gain so its all a bit pants

If AMD is hitting a wall then they really need to start upping the core counts again as Intel is surpassing them since they started adding E cores. If they can do 8 cores minimum, then 16 and 32 without dropping clocks or increasing the CCD ammount then they really need to. 7800X3D class CPU with 16 cores on one CCD, or 32 cores across two CCDs with 16 being the 3D cache would be amazing.

It explains why according to Steve Burk 5 days in to testing AMD sudenly turned around and said the dual CCD 9900X and 9950X need to be treated in the same way as the dual CCD X3D chips.
To be fair something doesn't seem to have gone right somewhere - I don't think the older AMD slides and developer comments were entirely made up. The latency is an odd one but given some of the issues with a minority of reviewer sample CPUs I suspect volume production quality isn't up to expectation but too late in the day to fix for this release - sometimes the 9950X is behind the 7950X even.

That much seems clear, i don't think we have heard the last of these CPU's yet...

Last edited:
What’s the temptation in watching people like mild? You just like being lied to?
Well people do as I think HUB reached out to AMD to ask if their numbers where out of the ordinary and they where told their numbers where right and did not say what MLID is claiming that improvements/fix'es would come with microcode updates. The excuse that the engineering and marketing dept arnt talking to each other is hillarious as the 'Zen daddy' and someone else went on stage and doubled down on the marketing BS.

Last edited:
Which CPU should I get?
Recently has issues with my 14900K - With the CPU keep crashing to the point it was completely unusable.

Switched to AMD and was waiting thinking the 9950 was going to be a killer chip and it doesn't appear to be.
Use my PC mainly for gaming when stretching the CPU but don't do much productivity work.

So should I get the 7950X3D or 9950X?
Also should point out that want the best CPU and money isn't much of an issue.
I know the 7800X3D is an amazing chip for gaming but is it better than the 7950X3D?

Not a great launch but on the plus side they shouldn't have to worry about the chips degrading hopefully. With the trouble Intel is in at the moment they should have gone for the kill and been far more aggressive with the prices.
AMD these days are arrogant with pricing, they feel now they have a 'foothold' so can charge what they like.

'Not a budget brand'.

Last edited:
AMD probably could respin Zen5 to 3nm.
Zen 5 barely deserves the 4nm nomenclature as it's using an enhanced 5nm that they called N4P.
Another thing to note is that Zen 5 processors are manufactured using TSMC's N4P node. TSMC states that this offers significant improvements over the 5nm node used in Zen 4. Although TSMC's base 4nm node (N4) is not much better than 5nm, the N4P node reportedly shows plenty of gains in comparison. TSMC states that the N4P node delivers an 11% increase in performance, a 22% gain in power efficiency, and a 6% boost in transistor density compared to the N5 (5 nm) node. Thanks to more EUV layers, the N4P process also cuts production costs by using around 6%, with fewer masks used in the production stage.
(Source)
Today TSMC announced it is extending the 5-nanometer node family with one more node which is designed to offer easy migration from N5. The extended performance N4P node is a derivative of the N4 node which TSMC says will deliver 11% performance boost over the original N5 node or, alternatively, a 6% boost over N4. In terms of power efficiency, TSMC says the N4P node will offer a 22% improvement in power efficiency compared to N5.

In terms of transistor density, as with N4, N4P will also offer a 6% improvement in transistor density. In other words, both N4 and N4P should have similar transistor densities. TSMC also says that the N4P “lowers process complexity and improves wafer cycle time by reducing the number of masks.”
(Source)

Last edited:
Which CPU should I get?
Recently has issues with my 14900K - With the CPU keep crashing to the point it was completely unusable.

Switched to AMD and was waiting thinking the 9950 was going to be a killer chip and it doesn't appear to be.
Use my PC mainly for gaming when stretching the CPU but don't do much productivity work.

I know the 7800X3D is an amazing chip for gaming but is it better than the 7950X3D?

7950X3D is about 4% behind the 7800X3D in games which lean heavily on CPU performance for rendering throughput, but if you are playing at higher resolution like 4K with ultra settings most of that gets absorbed by the GPU being a bottleneck even up to a 4090. Outside of gaming the 7950X3D can be around 70% faster than the 7800X3D in heavy weight productivity type stuff and is generally within margin of error of the other high end CPUs.

Which CPU should I get?

For gaming, its marginal but yes the 7800X3D is better for gaming than the 7950X3D, in the same way that the 5800X was marginally better for gaming than the 5950X, even if there is only 2 or 3% in it just not having to deal with inter CCD communication in games is better, i think in general there is a sweet spot for a gaming CPU anyway, i think that is 8 cores 16 threads.

I know this is not something that should be needed, but in absence of Windows not being able to deal with these without intervention..... so long as its set up properly, see.... https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...d-x3d-cpu-watch-this-very-important.18991228/ its an amazing chip

just like with the E-Core CPU's sometimes Windows needs help understanding them.

I just watched that. It's interesting but as it effects Zen 4 and 5 it doesn't really change the performance difference between the two. Definite performance boost though. Would be interesting if it affects Intel in the same way
Just watched this and indeed the impact isn’t consistent enough across all games. It appears that these new CPUs arnt making games faster but maybe content creation is.

Shame really here, something isn’t adding up

Back
Top Bottom