• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

If arrow lake is a flop in gaming then I fully expect the 9800X3D to be launched for $500

We already know arrow lake is a flop for gaming it ain't beating the 7800x3d let alone 9800x3d, Intel's own charts are showing that and that's with quite a few titles using APO so not looking good when independent reviews get hand's on it

Last edited:
We already know arrow lake is a flop for gaming it ain't beating the 7800x3d let alone 9800x3d, Intel's own charts are showing that and that's with quite a few titles using APO so not looking good when independent reviews get hand's on it
The new Intel chips never had a chance of beating the 3D chips for gaming, they will need to do something with a large L3 to compete with them but the number of users that actually get them must be relatively small.

The new Intel chips never had a chance of beating the 3D chips for gaming, they will need to do something with a large L3 to compete with them but the number of users that actually get them must be relatively small.

they can advertise it as the best fastest gaming chip available that gives good brand coverage

This one sounds like pie in the sky, total marketing BS in other words. Time will tell soon enough.

It would appear that the Strix X870-I doesn't like my RAM :(
I was (I thought) quite conservative with my choice as I went Trident Z5 neo @6000 with decent SK Hynix F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5N
I'm just getting a solid yellow LED on boot and then after about 20 secs the machine powers off.

looking through the QVL - there isn't a single 2 x 32GB kit listed, I might have to re-order for 48GB instead. Thank god for distance selling rules.

I was (I thought) quite conservative with my choice as I went Trident Z5 neo @6000 with decent SK Hynix F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5N
I'm just getting a solid yellow LED on boot and then after about 20 secs the machine powers off.

looking through the QVL - there isn't a single 2 x 32GB kit listed, I might have to re-order for 48GB instead. Thank god for distance selling rules.

See this really annoys me about AM5 and DDR5. If you see https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/393/1665020366/F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5N-QVL it shows your ram is EXPO compatible and it is on the qualified vendor list for the Strix X870-I so it should have worked.

When I build my new PC I have to test the ram to hell and back to make sure that it wont have any issues in future as it may boot but cause random crashes later on.

Last edited:
See this really annoys me about AM5 and DDR5. If you see https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/393/1665020366/F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5N-QVLit shows your ram is EXPO compatible and it is on the qualified vendor list for the Strix X870-I so it should have worked.

When I build my new PC I have to test the ram to hell and back to make sure that it wont have any issues in future as it may boot but cause random crashes later on.
Tell me about it, it is so frustrating, I'm not sure what kit I should be buying next...
I'm only looking at the Strix QVL at the moment

Last edited:
Tell me about it, it is so frustrating, I'm not sure what kit I should be buying next...
I'm only looking at the Strix QVL at the moment

the Strix QVL list is useless as well as you said. I don't think there is any that are 64GB, 6000 and CL30 and if there is, they are either out of stock or are not easily bought. You either have to go to eBay or use websites which I'm not sure I'd trust with my credit card details.

They said they made other improvements, is there any info that shows what they've done or is it not confirmed yet? I wonder if the 7950X3D is a good buy or if the 9950X3D will be different enough to make it worth it.. But likely not at first: high pricing as usual I suppose.
I think for the 9000X3D series AMD will want to avoid having the 9800X3D preforming nearly on par with 9950X3D

TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert Overclocking 10L DDR5 48GB Kit (2 x 24GB) 6400MHz (PC5-51200) CL32 M-DIE Desktop Memory Module Ram Black - CTCED548G6400HC32ADC01​

Have a google around for that, yes it's 6400. But all you'd have to do is once you turn on EXPO / XMP in bios is drop the speed from 6400 to 6000 before you restart the PC for the profile to to kick in.
I've used a few sets of these sets for new builds in the last 6 months and they have never failed to boot on either AMD or Intel.
Top quality Hynix M die IC's.
Once you get familiar with AMD memory tuning you can try and set them back up to 6400 1:1 and from what I've seen so far there aren't many 9000 CPU's that fail 6400 1:1

Should be safe with 48gb M die kits as they are all single rank.

Last edited:
In terms of ccd latency on 7900X3D and 7950X3D how bad is it for those that have one ? reason I ask is I am upgrading from a 5900X next year when the bigger core 9000 X3D series arrive yet on neogaf someone who apparently owns a 7950X3D says that it is a nightmare sometimes when games cross both CCDs. I genuinely have had no issues with my 5900X despite many games being greater that 6 cores and having to use both CCDs so am wondering if this is 3D cache specific and if so am I better just grabbing a 9900X ?

Last edited:
In terms of ccd latency on 7900X3D and 7950X3D how bad is it for those that have one ? reason I ask is I am upgrading from a 5900X next year when the bigger core 9000 X3D series arrive yet on neogaf someone who apparently owns a 7950X3D says that it is a nightmare sometimes when games cross both CCDs. I genuinely have had no issues with my 5900X despite many games being greater that 6 cores and having to use both CCDs so am wondering if this is 3D cache specific and if so am I better just grabbing a 9900X ?

The X3D has the 3D cache on one CCD only and can have a bigger difference in clock speed between CCDs so the effects of threads split/moving CCDs, etc. are more noticeable though it is mostly edge cases these days if properly setup, that said for that reason I tend to recommend against the 7900 parts as they can have more inconsistent performance than the 8 core CCD parts.

Last edited:
The X3D has the 3D cache on one CCD only and can have a bigger difference in clock speed between CCDs so the effects of threads split/moving CCDs, etc. are more noticeable though it is mostly edge cases these days if properly setup, that said for that reason I tend to recommend against the 7900 parts as they can have more inconsistent performance than the 8 core CCD parts.
Thanks, I guess I wait and see what the new chips bring, but starting to wonder if I just get a non x3d chip like the 9900 and see what happens with zen 6. 5900X has been great, main reason for upgrading is more nvme drives, faster memory etc and obviously quite an increase in single thread. Don't want to drop to 8 cores due to work and being able to run a VM or two whilst still gaming which is brilliant if I want to game whilst the wife writes some python/django connected to a Vm on my box.

Last edited:
Quick question is it the motherboard, the CPU or both that cause ram incompatibility with DDR5 ram? For example if I have working DDR5 ram but change the CPU can this cause the ram to have compatibility/stability issues?

Cheers

Last edited:
Quick question is the motherboard, the CPU or both that cause ram incompatibility with DDR5 ram? For example if I have working DDR5 ram but change the CPU can this cause the ram to have compatibility/stability issues?

Cheers
With Zen 4 and 5 most of the problems start when you try to run 64gb+ kits. You can get CPU's with a real stinker Mem controller that just wont post with 64gb kits (and higher) or will actually post but won't accept EXPO / XMP profiles leaving you with JEDEC speed and timings.
64gb kits (and higher) are dual rank dimms, which further stress the memory controller and in the case of Zen 4 and 5 it's not great to start with.
Now after saying all that Zen 5 does have better success rates at running 64gb than Zen 4 did.
48gb kits with Hynix M die IC's are generally safe as they are the highest capacity on single rank dimms.

The best discussion of Zen 5 and DDR 5 is here: https://www.overclock.net/threads/o...0x-9950x.1811777/?nested_view=1&sortby=oldest

Now as we know, most people just want something that works these days and not have to faff with it. Buying kits with Hynix M and A die IC's will give you the best chances of having that every time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom