• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

Suspended
Zen 4 sales only after picked up after the price drops kicked in, at release the sales were very poor.

Actually this is true, it was Zen 3 was still selling like freshly roasted hot chestnuts at a Christmas fare, it was a combination of them still being seen as very capable, inexpensive on an inexpensive platform.

Zen 4 had to become more appealing monetarily before sales took off.

Last edited:
Suspended
Which is a bit of a problem for AMD, its a good problem to have but a problem none the less, AMD are competing with them selves, when they launch Zen 5 its not just Zen 3 still even now being seen as desirable, to such an extent AMD themselves have just added to new CPU's to the Zen 3 line up,. but now also Zen 4, its not that Zen 4 becomes Zen 3 during the Zen 4 era, Zen 5 needs to compete with both of those..... they flooded their own market with choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: R3X
Suspended
AM5 only started outselling AM4...15 months after the launch of AM5 (mindfactory)
bear in mind that this is motherboard sales, 1 AM5 mobo sale = 1 AM5 CPU (or close enough to), the inverse is not the same for AM4 given the abundance of AM4 in the wild already

76% marketshare.

I know its only one shop, but the Rain Forest US is also almost entirely blocked out by AMD in the top 10. you're lucky to see two blue boxes in there.

System Integrators 'SI's' its probably completely the flip side, which i think shows the difference between what people buy when making a choice vs 'its a box, the nice man says it does the thing, it has RGB so i'll have it.... SI's aren't doing this because its what they think people want, or maybe they do and it just takes a while for them to catch on that's not 2008.

Edit: actually its probably a way to get rid of Intel stock that otherwise doesn't sell.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm not sure what's going on here but he looks like a right fanny.
a9zqFnL.jpeg

Soldato
76% marketshare.

I know its only one shop, but the Rain Forest US is also almost entirely blocked out by AMD in the top 10. you're lucky to see two blue boxes in there.

System Integrators 'SI's' its probably completely the flip side, which i think shows the difference between what people buy when making a choice vs 'its a box, the nice man says it does the thing, it has RGB so i'll have it.... SI's aren't doing this because its what they think people want, or maybe they do and it just takes a while for them to catch on that's not 2008.

Edit: actually its probably a way to get rid of Intel stock that otherwise doesn't sell.
KTeAcIq.png

Intel still ahead on Steam hardware survey. I'd have expected AMD to have made more headway, considering that Zen4 and Zen4X3D have been leading the gaming benchmarks for years at this point and are clearly superior.

Man of Honour
Intel still ahead on Steam hardware survey. I'd have expected AMD to have made more headway, considering that Zen4 and Zen4X3D have been leading the gaming benchmarks for years at this point and are clearly superior.
why? steam survey is a representation of the computers out in the wild, so even computers from the core 1st gen etc
also the vast majority of users wont be building their own computers, much less buying it from a boutique shop (eg ocuk), but will be a prebuilt from dell and the likes

Soldato
why? steam survey is a representation of the computers out in the wild, so even computers from the core 1st gen etc
also the vast majority of users wont be building their own computers, much less buying it from a boutique shop (eg ocuk), but will be a prebuilt from dell and the likes

Analysing the % change on steam hardware survey is probably the best option we have, to consider gaming CPU trends. It's worldwide and shows trends in CPU usage over the last few months. Better than sales results from one shop at least.

If you have mode wide reaching data, please link us :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
KTeAcIq.png

It's cause AMD does poorly with laptops and OEM PCs

Suspended
KTeAcIq.png

Erm? ok but that's a bit higher than i would have thought it, this is a survey of what CPU's people own and have owned for however long they have owned them, as @tamzzy put it out in the wild, i think its quite impressive that AMD scores more than one third of a representation of everything in the wild, they did that from probably almost nothing in just a few years. That's wild...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Analysing the % change on steam hardware survey is probably the best option we have, to consider gaming CPU trends. It's worldwide and shows trends in CPU usage over the last few months.
absolutely, but one also needs to acknowledge that there are limitations to the dataset, and the use case is of course, just for steam users

Better than sales results from one shop at least.
If you have mode wide reaching data, please link us :)
indeed better than relying on one shop
best to use multiple data points and multiple sources but unfortunately i only have as much access to them as you do :)

i think its quite impressive that AMD score one third of a representation of everything in the wild, they did that from probably almost nothing in just a few years. That's wild...
absolutely!

Suspended
When i logged into Steam one day last week i got the offer to do the survey.. first time in about 5 years.

I decided to do it for the first time ever :D

Oh... snap, me too, i told them about my 7800 XT, lets see if it appears, it'll be mine, just mine, mine will be the first. :D

also, you have an Nvidia GPU, like Steam Hardware Survey doesn't already have enough of those???? :p

Last edited:
Associate

confirms doubling of L1 L2 cache bandwidth
this engineering sample seems to be running 6-8% lower clocks than 7600X (judging from L3 bandwidth) and current rumor was that clocks should end up 100MHz (<2%) faster?
still not that bad, matches my [email protected] in Cpuz single thread.

more and more it feels like Zen+. A more efficient implememntation but basically the same. Not a bad thing, just not exciting for Zen4 owners. In the end will depend on price

Last edited:
Soldato

confirms doubling of L1 L2 cache bandwidth
this engineering sample seems to be running 6-8% lower clocks than 7600X (judging from L3 bandwidth) and current rumor was that clocks should end up 100MHz (<2%) faster?
still not that bad, matches my [email protected] in Cpuz single thread.

more and more it feels like Zen+. A more efficient implememntation but basically the same. Not a bad thing, just not exciting for Zen4 owners. In the end will depend on price

That would be a 65w part vs a 105w.

Soldato
Hmmmm.

Rumor suggests AMD Ryzen 9000X3D is launching sooner than expected​

Associate
little behind on this, is AMD doing that thing where they slot the new gen above the existing with a bigger number and higher price ? or will Zen 5 replace the likes of the 7900, 7600 as well ?

Back
Top Bottom