• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

Soldato
So where people choose what CPU people put in their self built PC they are choosing AMD, where people are buying a box because the nice man in the shop said it does the thing and it has RGB its got an Intel CPU in it.

I think a lot of these SI's have Intel because it the only way they can shift Intel's stock.

AMD sells its self, Intel needs to be pushed on people who don't know what they are buying.

It’s also difficult for AMD to produce in the quantities requested.

Soldato
no just voucher to be used on the bay doesnt seem to work now though

Oh! saw some vouchers drop but they were for Fashion so just ignored it lol.

The method i mentioned will get you close to that figure though, albeit you have to wait for your cashback and its not guaranteed.

Last edited:
Soldato
7800x3d is fantastic had it for about 6 months. Majority of my games with a 7900xtx card at 1440p are reaching the max refresh rate of my monitor at 144fps. I'm sure the 9800x3d will be very good but for me it's not relevant and will wait on the next series.
Who else has a 7800x3d and don't think they need to upgrade yet?

Last edited:
Suspended
7800x3d is fantastic had it for about 6 months. Majority of my games with a 7900xtx card at 1440p are reaching the max refresh rate of my monitor at 144fps. I'm sure the 9800x3d will be very good but for me it's not relevant and will wait on the next series.

Skipping one gen is a good idea IMO, being one gen out of sync doesn't matter much and you get a bigger performance jump if you wait until next time round, and you save money.

Associate
I wouldn't upgrade if I was still using my old 1440p UW monitor because, like you're finding now, frame rate would be capped out on a lot of titles. But now that I exclusively game in 4K I will consider an AMD Zen 5 X3D chip, particularly for upcoming UE5 games and MSFS2024.

Last edited:
Soldato
Skipping one gen is a good idea IMO, being one gen out of sync doesn't matter much and you get a bigger performance jump if you wait until next time round, and you save money.

I usually upgrade once I feel the performance is lacking. At that point I look at what available and the cost then make decision. Over the last 5 years the CPU market has always had tons of options.

Associate
Zen5 on the desktop seems underwhelming while laptop products look much more exciting. Older RDNA tech and no NPU. Lower power usage for the lower-end products sounds nice but l am interested in how much performance they will lose because of their much lower base clocks in multithreaded workloads, compared to their predecessors. Hopefully, AMD prices these desktop variants aggressively since they are using 6nm/4nm which must be quite cheaper than whatever Intel will be using.

Soldato
For those that didnt read the article in full..

"At the end of the day, we give you more performance without increasing power, and at the end of the day, we give you more performance without increasing the heat. At the end of the day, we bought a non-X3D chip very close to an X3D chip when it comes to gaming," said Wologroski.

"All of those things are pretty big differences compared to previous small steps and launches. We're going back on TDP because it turns out our eight cores are so good we don't need higher TDP, so I think it's a pretty stark comparison," he concluded.

I wonder if decent overclocking might be a thing with these 65w 8-Core 9700X's?

Soldato
Zen5 on the desktop seems underwhelming while laptop products look much more exciting. Older RDNA tech and no NPU. Lower power usage for the lower-end products sounds nice but l am interested in how much performance they will lose because of their much lower base clocks in multithreaded workloads, compared to their predecessors. Hopefully, AMD prices these desktop variants aggressively since they are using 6nm/4nm which must be quite cheaper than whatever Intel will be using.

It’s very unlikely AMD could produce chips for less than Intel. Intel produces its own chips in house and competes with TSMC in production. Intel’s foundries also regularly receive government subsidies and grants. AMD use TSMC for it’s production and TSMC make a healthy profit for providing that service.

Back
Top Bottom