• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

Soldato
Time to swap cpus then in september with the new x3d.
current one is so good and frankly I dont wanna swap but the new one is better so
and I dont need new ram nor mboard
good deal

I'm looking forward to the X3D chips, I think the jump in gaming from my R9 7900X to an 9800X3D will be significant enough to warrant the upgrade. Hoping for lower temps and power consumption too.

Soldato
I'm looking forward to the X3D chips, I think the jump in gaming from my R9 7900X to an 9800X3D will be significant enough to warrant the upgrade. Hoping for lower temps and power consumption too.
I feel the uplift may be disappointing this gen due to what we have had in the past from AMD's CPU division .

Soldato
Time to swap cpus then in september with the new x3d.
current one is so good and frankly I dont wanna swap but the new one is better so
and I dont need new ram nor mboard
good deal

4K with 6950xt ? Doubt you'll see much of an difference switching from 7800x3d to zen 5 x3d GPU will be more limiting factor

Last edited:
Associate
CPU's seem to be progressing faster than GPUs at the moment.

Agreed, that 80% improvement of the 4090 over the 3090 was pathetic. 16% is where it's at.

/s
What's that "law" called again?
Found it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amdahl's_law
But basically, GPUs are highly parallel but CPUs... Will if throwing more cores at the problem was the only thing required then CPUs could also manage far more than 16%.

However, interactivity, responsiveness, and certainly most gaming CPU loads are serial and really want ST performance.

Nobody really wants to pay for a 64 or more core CPU for gaming, although if there was demand I assume that at the price of a 4090 someone could sell some!

Last edited:
Soldato
CPU's seem to be progressing faster than GPUs at the moment.

GPU's progress much more per generation. The flagship Nvidia card (2080ti 3090, 4090) have been huge increases over the previous flagship. 5090 is shaping up to be no exception to this.

CPU's meanwhile.. 5-10% single thread performance if we're lucky each generation. Often much lower.

Associate
Feel like the 4090 is a bad example. It's a massive outlier even just within the 4000 series, and the bulk of its advancement is due to the increased die size and core count. If for instance you compare the 4060 to the 3060 or 4080 to the 3080 it's much less of an uplift. I'm sure if amd just decided the 9700x now had 12 cores it would similarly have much better performance than its predecessor.

Saying all that it's really comparing apples to oranges. Cpu and gpu technological advancements are very different to each other. They grow and change in very different ways for very different reasons.

Last edited:
Soldato
Reviews are saying that 9000X chips perform as well as 7000X3D chips now, so 9000X3D should be quite a substantial jump, especially as they are still working to improve them.

It would be nice if we got 3D cache on each CCD, but then the downside to that is you'll lose the faster frequency cores in 2 CCD packages.

At the moment as others have said, it just feels a bit like a 7000 refresh, the clocks are pretty much the same as 7000's, they've just reduced the TDP, I think the faster speeds are pretty much due to the node reduction and wider pipelines.

Soldato
Please post link of 'review' of a reputable site with wide range of benchmarks and stats. Thanks.
this is 9900X vs 7900X, its pretty easy to work it out yourself from there,

a 7900X and 7900X3d perform the same, the X3D just does it at a lower TDP, whereas the X has the frequency advantage across all cores.

Ive not been wrong about a lot so far. ;)

And finally, 9900X vs 7900X3D

https://nanoreview.net/en/cpu-compare/amd-ryzen-9-9900x-vs-amd-ryzen-9-7900x3d

Bare in mind, all of the 9000 series chips are ES samples, no one owns one yet, so they could improve even further.
Please note that the tests on the Ryzen 9 9900X are done on engineering sample provided by our insiders. The data will be more accurate after we get the final version of this CPU.

Last edited:
Soldato
At the moment as others have said, it just feels a bit like a 7000 refresh, the clocks are pretty much the same as 7000's, they've just reduced the TDP, I think the faster speeds are pretty much due to the node reduction and wider pipelines.
Yes it seems just a decent increase but not as much as was made out before, that guy that hyped up Zen 5 to sound better than the usual increase must be quite embarrassed now. Not quite as bad as "Overclockers Dream" though.

I wonder what happened there, maybe they predicted a bigger uplift and it didn't work out, or something didn't go to plan.

Soldato
Yes it seems just a decent increase but not as much as was made out before, that guy that hyped up Zen 5 to sound better than the usual increase must be quite embarrassed now. Not quite as bad as "Overclockers Dream" though.

I wonder what happened there, maybe they predicted a bigger uplift and it didn't work out, or something didn't go to plan.

Maybe. I’ve not seen any reviews yet though, I’m still waiting for the release.

Caporegime
this is 9900X vs 7900X, its pretty easy to work it out yourself from there,

a 7900X and 7900X3d perform the same, the X3D just does it at a lower TDP, whereas the X has the frequency advantage across all cores.

Ive not been wrong about a lot so far. ;)

And finally, 9900X vs 7900X3D

https://nanoreview.net/en/cpu-compare/amd-ryzen-9-9900x-vs-amd-ryzen-9-7900x3d

Bare in mind, all of the 9000 series chips are ES samples, no one owns one yet, so they could improve even further.
Please note that the tests on the Ryzen 9 9900X are done on engineering sample provided by our insiders. The data will be more accurate after we get the final version of this CPU.
This is not reputable, no doubt basing performance off of 'leaks'.

Soldato
This is not reputable, no doubt basing performance off of 'leaks'.

Sounds pretty reliable to me, sounds like they have an ES chip provided by their insiders.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom