• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

consider this - what if so far , the only ram modules validated are up to that speed? and when more are validated , the supported speed goes up , officially by the mobo maker , via a bios update

But this is just fantasy logic though.
You go on what's in front of you.

Zen's IMC isn't as good, who cares.

EDIT : Linking to an absolute flagship motherboard being able to do more stuff than another board doesn't mean much.

Last edited:
If all boards had parity in what they could do, we'd never have a selection.
An absolute flagship motherboard doing more than another isn't a shocker. It's to be expected, that's why you buy them.

Why do you need Zen's IMC to be as good as Intels?

I don't - you seem to want that from all your disparaging comments regarding how its not as good as intels....

which is all conjecture - as no one has got hold of the cpu yet.

I don't - you seem to want that from all your disparaging comments regarding how its not as good as intels....

which is all conjecture - as no one has got hold of the cpu yet.

I'm going on what it presented, and what we're presented with would suggest that.
Which is all we can do.

What you're suggesting is conjecture.

I don't care if Zens IMC isn't as good, it's not relevant to me. Saying it's not as good as Intel isn't a knock if it's a fact. Facts are facts. Who cares.

Besides, historically AMD's IMC's are inferior, even though they were the first to put them to their CPU's. My Deneb couldn't run 1600MHZ CL9. It didn't bother me then, it doesn't bother me now.

Last edited:
I'm going on what it presented.
Which is all we can do.

What you're suggesting is conjecture.

I don't care if Zens IMC isn't as good, it's not relevant to me. Saying it's not as good as Intel isn't a knock if it's a fact. Facts are facts. Who cares.

and you can prove this how? do you have a ryzen chip to test the imc? or just going on 1 motherboard box shot and speculation from wccf?

consider this - what if so far , the only ram modules validated are up to that speed? and when more are validated , the supported speed goes up , officially by the mobo maker , via a bios update

edit:
Asus for example support different ram speeds on different boards , all using the Z170 chipset:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z170-PRO-GAMING-AURA/

vs

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-VIII-EXTREME-ASSEMBLY/

for example

Neither are 2666, though.

The difference here is one is a ROG product, the other not. What that means is that the Maximus VIII is likely a 6, or 8 layer board, and has better optimised trace length.

Even with that said, the lower SKU Pro Gaming is still way surpassing 2666.

It is what it is, Zen's IMC just isn't there. I'm sure it will improve over the next couple of years.

Again, more misinterpretation by you. We're talking about motherboards, so official in the vendor sense, and overclocking. It's up to the vendor to disclose what their maximum operating frequency is for that board. Perhaps you're right as much as to say I should have kept my mouth shut to not upset people.

Or maybe post in the motherboard section?

Ryzen looks like it is closer to socket 2011 in cache layout and you only have to look at the chip to see it's server versions.

The problem is that almost all the places where I have worked which had large numbers of socket 1366/2011 type systems have had them at stock since they are being run continuously so long-term stability was more important. But it was more scientific stuff though.

I have several business customers running far from stock rock stable 24-7. You can have both without issues especially with binned hardware.

Yes, we know it doesn't matter to you. You made that clear beforehand...:rolleyes:

It does if you understand the implications and how memory works. That's not a dig, that's just the truth. You're saying that I said 3000Mhz kits wouldn't work? Which is a flat out lie, only the least informed would have assumed I meant the kit wouldn't work outright.

You don't "understand the implications and how memory works" you and Caracus2k are unable to explain why you are even making an issue out of this.

Caracus2k own link clearly show there is no real world difference with 400Mhz Memory speed differences.

All the pair of you are doing is repeating your failed and already disproved blanket statements over and over and over again......

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom