• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Which link/ quote was that then?

That will be the review that states

'We saw some nice performance gains from DDR4-2133 to DDR4-2666'

http://www.legitreviews.com/ddr4-me...nding-the-best-ddr4-memory-kit-speed_170340/6

Check your own sources or look foolish....

No where in the summing up (the link you posted) does it say that, what it actually says is:

"but there wasn’t a tangible improvement in system performance with real applications. We ran other applications and game titles when we tested this memory kit and you mostly ended up with flat performance charts like you saw in Handbrake or any of the game titles that we tested today"

No it's not. What dictates what vendors are able to achieve, is first and foremost down to the strength of the CPU's memory controller...

did you see the 2 , different Asus Z170 motherboards I linked? The both offer memory speed increases , but the top of the line board goes further than the cheaper (still £250) one.

The quality of motherboard components is the difference here - as the 2 boards from asus demonstrate.

Says you who quoted a sentence from a linked review to backup your arguments that was not even in the link, what was actually in it disproved your arguments.

I just checked the end of that article it states

'We hope that you have a better understanding about picking the right DDR4 memory kit for the new 6th generation Intel Core processors and Z170 motherboards. Our advice for gamers and enthusiasts would be to get at least a DDR4-2666 kit as that is the sweet spot this very second when it comes to price versus performance! This new platform scales exceptionally well though, so if you like memory overclocking*we have a feeling a number of you will be moving over to a Z170 platform soon'

Reading comprehension a problem for you? Lacking a scroll bar?

Please admit your wrong for the slur that I quoted something not in the article.....

Last edited:
did you see the 2 , different Asus Z170 motherboards I linked? The both offer memory speed increases , but the top of the line board goes further than the cheaper (still £250) one.

The quality of motherboard components is the difference here - as the 2 boards from asus demonstrate.

It's not that black and white I'm afraid. I've already outlined why those two boards differ in supported frequency. When you see AM4 motherboards running 3000Mhz DRAM at an operational level, you can call me out...

It's not that black and white I'm afraid. I've already outlined why those two boards differ in supported frequency. When you see AM4 motherboards running 3000Mhz DRAM at an operational level, you can call me out...

Or when you don't see AM4 boards running 3000Mhz you can post in the motherboard section?

I just checked the end of that article it states

'We hope that you have a better understanding about picking the right DDR4 memory kit for the new 6th generation Intel Core processors and Z170 motherboards. Our advice for gamers and enthusiasts would be to get at least a DDR4-2666 kit as that is the sweet spot this very second when it comes to price versus performance! This new platform scales exceptionally well though, so if you like memory overclocking*we have a feeling a number of you will be moving over to a Z170 platform soon'

Reading comprehension a problem for you? Lacking a scroll bar?

Are you serious? that is not what you qouted out of the link originaly, it does say that, none of which matters to your argument at the time nor is anyone disputing what is said there.

Originally, what you actually said was in the link and was not, was this.

That will be the review that states

'We saw some nice performance gains from DDR4-2133 to DDR4-2666'

http://www.legitreviews.com/ddr4-me...nding-the-best-ddr4-memory-kit-speed_170340/6

Check your own sources or look foolish....

That is your direct quote ^^^^^

The bit about differences in performance at those memory speeds, as quoted out of your link is:

No where in the summing up (the link you posted) does it say that, what it actually says is:

"but there wasn’t a tangible improvement in system performance with real applications. We ran other applications and game titles when we tested this memory kit and you mostly ended up with flat performance charts like you saw in Handbrake or any of the game titles that we tested today"

Last edited:

as you said `6 or 8 layer with optimized tracer lengths` - which is the same as ` quality of components` ; the more expensive board = higher quality parts = get more from the ram. same thing , different way of saying it.

as you said `6 or 8 layer with optimized tracer lengths` - which is the same as ` quality of components` ; the more expensive board = higher quality parts = get more from the ram. same thing , different way of saying it.

But you're talking about an absolute ridiculous top of the range board.
Of course it's going to be better, or else why would it exist?

Then again, cheapest Z2170 board ; https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...cket-1151-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-54s-gi.html

Lol.

Last edited:

It's going to take someone with more patience than I have to make you understand it.

Quality in components and layers only go so far to minimise signal issues that determine what frequencies you can reach. Ultimately, it comes down to the quality of the IMC as to the maximum supported ratio. If you don't think that's correct, I suggest you ask someone else to confirm for you.

If we see AM4 boards running 3866Mhz DRAM or upward this side of Christmas, I will give you my PC.

Last edited:

It's probably not that simple. The BIOS plays a big part.

This discussion would be much better served in the motherboard section.

Last edited:
But you're talking about an absolute ridiculous top of the range board.
Of course it's going to be better, or else why would it exist?

Then again, cheapest Z2170 board ; https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...cket-1151-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-54s-gi.html

Lol.

It's going to take someone with more patience than I have to make you understand it.

Quality in components and layers only go so far to minimise signal issues that determine what frequencies you can reach. Ultimately, it comes down to the quality of the IMC as to the maximum supported ratio. If you don't think that's correct, I suggest you ask someone else to confirm for you.

If we see AM4 boards running 3866Mhz DRAM or upward this side of Christmas, I will give you my PC.

because I have now demonstrated , twice now , that the IMC is only ` part of the whole system in regards to memory speed. You , yourself said `the IMC is naff` where as , on the same chipset based motherboard(s) , the oc ability of ram is different

Someone is going to have a hard time in this thread if someone gets one and pushes the memory past 2666Mhz.

Really, stop gambling your reputations, why set yourselves up like this?

The problem with this statement is, and knowing you, you'd see someone ran PI with Wazza at 2800Mhz and giggle like a Japanese school girl as if that proves anything :p

I think it's some peoples perceptions/understanding that makes this topic a little cloudy.

because I have now demonstrated , twice now , that the IMC is only ` part of the whole system in regards to memory speed. You , yourself said `the IMC is naff` where as , on the same chipset based motherboard(s) , the oc ability of ram is different

You're still not getting it, sorry bud.

Are you serious? that is not what you qouted out of the link originaly, it does say that, none of which matters to your argument at the time nor is anyone disputing what is said there.

Originally, what you actually said was in the link and was not, was this.

That is your direct quote ^^^^^

The bit about differences in performance at those memory speeds, as quoted out of your link is:

Yep the quotes there...

'We ran other applications and game titles when we tested this memory kit and you mostly ended up with flat performance charts like you saw in Handbrake or any of the game titles that we tested today. We saw some nice performance gains from DDR4-2133 to DDR4-2666, but strangely the pricing for the G.Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2133 and 2666 dual channel kits are identical. That is where you’ll see the biggest performance gain in the real world benchmarks and you can get that benefit for free right now.'

Please apologise for the slur...

Ironically, only you are truly doing this.

If Zen comes out and it can only push 2600MHZ RAM you'll still bleat on that it can change no doubt.

disappointingly you are also ignoring evidence when it is laid out in front of you.

but then again - you do this often in many threads.

as humbug has said - you and S_S are laying down your `reputation` on the `fact` that Ryzen , based upon 1 media image can only reach 2667 on ram.

disappointingly you are also ignoring evidence when it is laid out in front of you.

but then again - you do this often in many threads.

as humbug has said - you and S_S are laying down your `reputation` on the `fact` that Ryzen , based upon 1 media image can only reach 2667 on ram.

I'm going on what I can see before me.
I don't particularity care either way, as I said when the claim was first made.

You for some bizarre reason *need* Zen's IMC to be just as good as Intels.

Even the cheapest Z2170 motherboard states 3866 DDR4 MHZ (Although it's OC, because it's outside of official specifications, so no guarantee)

Here's another ; https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...0-socket-1151-ddr4-motherboard-mb-690-as.html So it doesn't matter what board you get then for the RAM if the cheapest board can do it then?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom