• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

I was just going to say my 1090T had no issues running 1866Mhz.

1600Mhz at the time, 2008, was not bad.

It was 2009.
Months and months and months after Intels X58 line up, and had an inferior IMC.

Didn't bother me, but it happened.
I remember being one of the first to get a proper 4GHZ stable Phenom II X4 chip, and I was still running my 2000 MHZ RAM kit at 1333MHZ.

It was 2009.
Months and months and months after Intels X58 line up, and had an inferior IMC.

Didn't bother me, but it happened.
I remember being one of the first to get a proper 4GHZ stable Phenom II X4 chip, and I was still running my 2000 MHZ RAM kit at 1333MHZ.

I had an i7 930, that didn't run much higher than 1600Mhz either.

What exactly do you constitute as weak? do you think the Phenon II x4 which was launched in 2008 just stopped at 1600Mhz? do you think X58 chips also launched in 2008 would do 2400Mhz+?

There is a lot of hype in these arguments but what are the realities? really?

I had an i7 930, that didn't run much higher than 1600Mhz either.

What exactly do you constitute as weak? do you think the Phenon II x4 which was launched in 2008 just stooped at 1600Mhz? do you think X58 chips also launched in 2008 would do 2400Mhz?

There is a lot of hype in these arguments but what are the realities? really?

You'd have a job running DDR3 on any Phenom II that launched in 2008 because they had no DDR3 IMC :D
And the AM3 Phenom II's couldn't even run 1600MHZ stable, officially they supported 1333MHZ, and that's all they ran.

I constitute a weak IMC as not being able to run the fastest memory at its fastest speed.
The original X58 chips were all rated at 1066MHZ. I don't know their limit, but I know it was better than any Phenom II at the time.

Last edited:
do you genuinely have difficulty with understanding anything? you`ve been fanataical about AMD and weak IMC , and yet so far - nothing has been seen about Ryzen , and Phenom 2 officially supported DDR3 1333 ; but you count that as `weak`.

This is the Deneb core.

The Phenom II Deneb core did have a weak IMC as it couldn't run RAM at the frequencies available to buy at the time.

I don't understand what's happening anymore.

Yes, the latter ones.
Phenom II launched in 2008 on AM2+. DDR2 only.
In 2009 AM3 launched with AM3 Phenom II's. Hence one of my sustained complaints with AMD sockets. AM3 never had an exclusive CPU range.

The AM3 CPU's had a DDR2 and DDR3 memory controller.

I don't think there was ever a distinction between them, AM3 which was DDR3 was launched on February 9 2009, 2 Moths after Phenom II X4, Launched in December 2008.

It was simply at a transition time from DDR2 to DDR3 and AMD decided to support both on the chip.

Well one thing is for sure, Bristol ridge is and will be limited to ddr4 2400.
To achieve more you have to tinker manual timings and increase the ref clock.

Not saying Zen will be, I'm confident the ddr4 controller will be fully programmable. But I'm interested in how this will be used in the Raven Ridge Apu's.

I don't think there was ever a distinction between them, AM3 which was DDR3 was launched on February 9 2009, Moths after Phenom II X4, Launched in December 2008.

It was simply at a transition time from DDR2 to DDR3 and AMD decided both on the chip.

AM2+ chips had 940 pins, AM3 has 938.

The AM2+ never had a DDR3 IMC, wouldn't even physically fit in an AM3 board.

AM2+ chips had 940 pins, AM3 has 938.

The AM2+ never had a DDR3 IMC, wouldn't even physically fit in an AM3 board.

So? thats besides the point, DDR3 AM3 was launched several weeks after Phenom II x4 CPU's.

I doubt AMD had two Phenom II launches in a few weeks, one with a DDR3 controller and one without, that makes no sense at all...

Actually, why don't you tell me which version of the Phenom II X4 chip didn't have a DDR3 memory controller.

Back
Top Bottom