• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

So? thats besides the point, DDR3 AM3 was launched several weeks after Phenom II x4 CPU's.

I doubt AMD had two Phenom II launches in a few weeks, one with a DDR3 controller and one without, that makes no sense at all...

Actually, why don't you tell me which version of the Phenom II X4 chip didn't have a DDR3 memory controller.

AMD Phenom II X4 940 and Phenom II X4 920.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/A... Edition - HDZ940XCJ4DGI (HDZ940XCGIBOX).html

They launched in 2009 Jan ; http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/intel-core-i7-920-and-965-review,1.html

Then AM3 in April ; http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-phenom-x4-945-and-955be-processor-review|test,1.html

Last edited:
Actually, Phenom II never launched at all in 2008.
It was always 2009.

As you wish........ as you are so determined with this.... lets run with that, so AMD launched two separate Phenom II X4 CPU's one with and one without a DDR3 memory controller, this after they launched a DDR3 board in the form of AM3.
Thats even more ridiculous.

Again, which model Phenom II X4 did not have a DDR3 memory controller?

As you wish........ as you are so determined with this.... lets run with that, so AMD launched two separate Phenom II X4 CPU's one with and one without a DDR3 memory controller, this after they launched a DDR3 board in the form of AM3.

I'm not determined with anything, you're the one rewriting history.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/A... Edition - HDZ940XCJ4DGI (HDZ940XCGIBOX).html

No DDR3 controller.

Even IF it did have a DDR3 controller, what would be the relevance? It still launched in 2009 and couldn't use DDR3 as it couldn't fit in a DDR3 board, which never launched till a few months later.
You have a problem believing history because you weren't around to experience it. That's neither my problem nor fault.

I'm not determined with anything, you're the one rewriting history.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom%20II%20X4%20940%20Black%20Edition%20-%20HDZ940XCJ4DGI%20(HDZ940XCGIBOX).html

No DDR3 controller.

Even IF it did have a DDR3 controller, what would be the relevance? It still launched in 2009 and couldn't use DDR3 as it couldn't fit in a DDR3 board, which never launched till a few months later.
You have a problem believing history because you weren't around to experience it. That's neither my problem nor fault.

That is very odd, and on the site, in one instance they list sockets AM2 and AM2+ and at the bottom they cite different TDP's if run in AM2+ and AM3.

Why would the chip be compatible on a DDR3 board if it didn't have a DDR3 IMC, DDR2 sticks don't fit in DDR3 slots. and why would the TDP be different on AM2 than on AM3 if they are not using different components, like a DDR3 vs DDR2 IMC?

Last edited:
That is very odd, and on the site, in one instance they list sockets AM2 and AM2+ and at the bottom they cite different TDP's for AM2+ and AM3.

Why would the chip be compatible on a DDR3 board if it didn't have a DDR3 IMC and why would the TDP be different on AM2 than on AM3 if they are not using different components, like a DDR3 vs DDR2 IMC?

AM2 and AM2+ are both DDR2.

A Phenom II X4 940 does not work on any AM3 board, with the first reason being it can't fit, and the second the lack of a DDR3 IMC.

I can't tell what you're getting at.

Am2+ came out before Am3, my old Am2+ 770ud3 used ddr2 memory whilst using an x4 620 and an unlocked b55, both Am3 cpu's.

am2+ phenom II did not have a ddr3 controller so can't be used in am3.

What on earth has happened in this thread?

Why are we fixated on the probability that zen will have a limited memory frequency in comparison to SL / KL?

Realistically the performance gains in anything other than memory benchmarking will be minimal of at all. You can gain more with tight timing vs higher clock rates in a lot of situations.

I honestly don't think this will impact on how these new chips will compete with desktop class Intel chips (may be different in workstations / servers where memory bandwidth is more key).

That being said AMD may see this as a factor in pricing and hopefully will have them undercut Intel chip for chip

Why are we fixated on the probability that zen will have a limited memory frequency in comparison to SL / KL?

Realistically the performance gains in anything other than memory benchmarking will be minimal of at all. You can gain more with tight timing vs higher clock rates in a lot of situations.

I honestly don't think this will impact on how these new chips will compete with desktop class Intel chips (may be different in workstations / servers where memory bandwidth is more key).

That being said AMD may see this as a factor in pricing and hopefully will have them undercut Intel chip for chip

Both memory timings and frequencies are equally as important. It's not about the comparison with Intel DDR4 offerings, anyway. Seeing what vendors are recommending, when nothing has been said officially is better info than nothing. After all, this is just a speculation thread...

It matters because AMD have previewed ryzen as being competitive with the intel enthusiast line... When early indication suggest it will have an inferior memory setup to the intel.consumer line then this may be of interest to some people looking at the platform

Back
Top Bottom