• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
Sorry did you not see my last post on the matter. But just so you know this isn't like getting to 4.5Ghz. You don't just pop in the BIOS set the voltage to 1.4 and the multipliers to 45;)

sorry which post was that ?? you claimed to have an i7 'ruining' 2500k ....

I've got a 2500K system that will ruin most i7's.

.....later went on to claim it ran at 5.5-6Ghz.....

On smack? You mean my 2500k at 5.5/6Ghz. Yeah it'll ruinin most i7s

..... and when asked to stump up some you know actual proof went all flakey saying well.. if I employed an exotic cooling solution (casacade) it might be good for those sort of clocks (but apparently you hadn't tested this before you made your bold claim!)

You last post on the matter...

8 Pack asked me to do a 6Ghz run. I can respect him as an top overclocker and if he want to repay that respect I'll hurt the chip in a world record attempt. But not for you :p defiantly not for a man that follows me around pestering :p

seemed to be your usual attempts or backing yourself out of an untenable position of your own making by saying you didn't want to er... 'ruin' your 'i7 ruining CPU ' by actually showing its prowess!!

Saying it isn't like getting to 4.5Ghz is hardly a strong point for you claim as it is about that easy to get my 5820k to that speed (and probably your 2500k as well!) what I'm interested in is what speeds you can ACTUALLY clock your 'i7 ruining' 2500K to because so far it been the usual bluster and avoidance of the point on your part....

back on topic please let us know your current estimate for a 6900k competing AMD Ryzen chip?

Last edited:
Don
Last time I checked this was a Zen thread...

As much as I would like to see this mythical 6Ghz 2500k, the best I can suggest is that jigger opens a special thread for it, rather than continuing to discuss it here.

Thanks - Armageus

Associate
This is a good point, this is meant to be a socket spanning all areas of the market, including the server space where RAM speed can be critical in certain workloads. It'll be interesting to see how it works out but for most of us here it really makes no difference.

Well if you look at it in terms of platform, Intel have both the Z series platform and the X (Z97 / X99 for example) the X platforms are touching on server style setups (more memory channels / more PCI-E lanes ect) its almost like a stop gap between a "normal" desktop platform and a server.

Now

AMD have Summit Ridge (marketed as Ryzen) and this is their desktop platform they do not have anything between that and their Naples platform (Zen server platform) for some context the top end naples chip has 32 cores (64 threads) and i think from the latest information should have 128 PCI-E lanes.

Im hoping that AMD will not price the top end Summit Ridge (used in the blender test) near the higher end Intel "X" chips as the platforms are not comparable. Im not saying that the top end Ryzen chip will be priced like an Intel i7 (7700K) but its probably not going to be the same price as the nearest X99 counterpart. Say its within +/- 10% the performance of the 6900K in most situation i'm guessing as the 6900K is a $1000 part the top Ryzen will be $700 - $800 (tho id love to be wrong and it be even cheaper).

Associate
why not delete all the pointless stuff in this thread!! 7 posts left!!

Half of me agrees with this, but the other half (the one that's pretty excited for a new AMD chip regardless of what it ends up as, mainly wrt how it can change the desktop CPU market) disagrees ;)

Look at any thread on OCUK forums thread about a new major *insert part here* being released, its always the same. Just look at the Vega / 1080Ti threads in the GPU forum :p

Associate
Just because Intel officially say 2400MHZ doesn't mean it tops out at 2400MHZ. The motherboards go all the way upto 3600+.

However, when your motherboard vendors are touting 2600MHZ as the top, well it's a bit different.

They could only do their own validations with the A0 IMC, which was defective.

As a few here may know (very very few) I have a friend with a Zen ES. I asked him for advice about what memory I should buy for it - and he said he only tested it with DDR4-3200 CL16 and nothing higher.

He still refused to tell me anything worthwhile, but this, at least, is relevant. Until finding this argument, I thought it was common knowledge that Zen is using RAMBUS's DDR4 logic which should, in theory, be every bit as good as Intel... though lacking in real-world maturity for higher frequencies (hence the teething issues).

DDR4-3200 should be a total non-issue and I've already bought mine.

Caporegime
They could only do their own validations with the A0 IMC, which was defective.

As a few here may know (very very few) I have a friend with a Zen ES. I asked him for advice about what memory I should buy for it - and he said he only tested it with DDR4-3200 CL16 and nothing higher.

He still refused to tell me anything worthwhile, but this, at least, is relevant. Until finding this argument, I thought it was common knowledge that Zen is using RAMBUS's DDR4 logic which should, in theory, be every bit as good as Intel... though lacking in real-world maturity for higher frequencies (hence the teething issues).

DDR4-3200 should be a total non-issue and I've already bought mine.

I have no problem believing that Zens IMC is capable of doing more.

But your post won't do it for me. Why does your friend have an ES more capable than a motherboard vendor? CES was only days ago after all.

Caporegime
It matters because AMD have previewed ryzen as being competitive with the intel enthusiast line... When early indication suggest it will have an inferior memory setup to the intel.consumer line then this may be of interest to some people looking at the platform

Now i see why this is so important to you.

Memory speed or bandwidth is not the be all and end all of IPC, its just so happens that Zen is getting the same performance, or higher performance in the case of Handbreak as the 6900K with slower memory and only dual channel because the rest of the architecture is good enough to do that with less memory specification than the 6900K has.

You miss-trust or are confusion about that is because you think understand what you clearly don't, or you believe the straws you are clutching at a bit too much.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom