• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Caporegime
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5o5ec3/companies_that_will_provide_free_brackets_for_am4/

It seemed all companies will offer free AM4 upgrade kits, great to see Corsair will offer free upgrade for all coolers.

Computerbase.de has full list of AM4 compatible coolers and free AM4 upgrade kits from all companies.

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-01/cpu-kuehler-umruest-kits-amd-am4-kompatibilitaet/

Saw interested reddit post from tamarockstar received email from Enermax support team hint on Ryzen and AM4 launch date.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5o7z4x/ryzen_launch_before_1st_of_march_confirmedcredit/

Emermax and all other companies will sent out free AM4 upgrade kits after Ryzen and AM4 launch before or latest on 1 March 2017.
Nowt from NZXT :(

Soldato
is that before or after intel using AVX throttles from overheating / over power?

Before. It's not a requirement to use AVX offset for Handbrake lol.

Don't pretend you know how this works. If you did, you'd realise that comment makes no sense. BWE AVX offset only functions when voltage is strictly left in auto. With out this, there is no subsequent voltage reduction.

Soldato
Before. It's not a requirement to use AVX offset for Handbrake lol.

Don't pretend you know how this works. If you did, you'd realise that comment makes no sense. BWE AVX offset only functions when voltage is strictly left in auto. With out this, there is no subsequent voltage reduction.

your line `its not a requirement` says it all - unless avx offset recognises whats going on - it`ll keep going.

which in itself - by having to throttle , means the chip has a problem using the extension.

edit: outside of fourms , professional users do not fiddle with settings ; their employer would take a dim view of failed hardware because of user `tweaking`

Soldato
Unless AVX offset recognises what's going on? lol.

The offset is not mandatory, it's a user defined setting. You're so fluffy!

If you've no experience with recent platforms using AVX you can't be expected to understand what the implications are, or why the offset function was added. That basically means stop digging yourself another hole, man.

Associate
Saw interested reddit post from tam...n_launch_before_1st_of_march_confirmedcredit/

Emermax and all other companies will sent out free AM4 upgrade kits after Ryzen and AM4 launch before or latest on 1 March 2017.

At this point I think its safe to assume that AMD have been telling people they're aiming for the end of February. Though I also think they haven't got the final few details nailed down yet. Hopefully once they have they'll let us know :p

Soldato
That's Turbo Boost for core affinity lol. The offset register for AVX Offset doesn't do anything unless you enter a value...you're barking up the wrong tree here, trust me

erm?

Notice that there is now an UEFI setting for ‘AVX Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset’ now. This is a brand new feature for Broadwell-E that has been around in server platforms for the past couple years. Intel is giving end users control of this feature now*because AVX workloads consume a lot more current than ones that use the default instruction set.*The AVX Offset mechanism is designed to work in conjunction with Auto mode for voltage; when an AVX workload is detected, the processor reduces its frequency, which is followed by a reduction in core voltage via the on-die power control unit (PCU). *The adjustment option is nice to have, but by having it default to*Auto it means that the processor voltage gets decreased to reduce operating temperatures under AVX workloads, and this can have negative implications for overclocking.

Soldato

Erm?

Raja from ASUS wrote that piece, it's been ripped straight from the BWE guide. He's referring to auto vcore.

Leaving VCORE in auto ensures a reduction in voltage...

/end.

EDIT: The reason you're confused is because LegitReviews have tried to word it as to not look like a direct cut and paste...

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
I'd let it be. Canucks aren't saying that all, they've quoted the piece directly rather than shamelessly trying to edit it.

If you are overclocking the CPU, and the (AVX) offset register is left in auto there is no reduction in multiplier or voltage. Only once you adjust a negative offset will you see one or both depending on the voltage settings.

It's by the by anyway, you've no interest in the platform which is why you tried to take an uninformed jab at the function.

Last edited:
Soldato
so I quote 3 different sites - but they are wrong?

and skylake and kl have the feature - since I have a 3700k, and potentially will be upgrading soon , why wouldn't I want the best?

I just think you don't have the capacity to read what you're quoting (correctly). I've explained it to you already.

I also have the board here...not much more to say.

Back
Top Bottom