• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Caporegime
I still cant quite believe that these things are going to have pins on them...
. :(

Cheaper for vendors to manufacture the boards = cheaper boards.

I like the pins being on the CPU, with the pins on the board they can stick to the CPU so when it comes to changing it or removal for cleaning, when they do stick it often results in a dead board.

Soldato
No, that was just a single motherboard's spec that people extrapolated to mean "AMD's IMC can't handle over 2667 MHz DDR4".

It's because they've locked the sub timings (they're loose as a goose) and updated the microcode. Helps to understand that these are intrinsically related to know what's going on...

Legitreviews source from CES:

http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-ryzen-learned-ces-2017_190305

Multiple sources wishing to remain anonymous spoke with us at CES 2017 and said that DDR4 support on Ryzen boards is no where near as good and that now and that DDR4-2400 is a good all around kit for these processors. Overclockers might be able to squeeze out DDR4 3000 MHz on these boards, but that has been tricky on the early pre-production processors.

I think ASUS are way ahead of these guys in terms of overclocking support from what I've seen so far, that's why they've not played their hand yet. ASrock tend to put * disclaimers next to their spec sheets, that might even be with one module lol.

Last edited:
Associate
It's because they've locked the sub timings (they're loose as a goose) and updated the microcode. Helps to understand that these are intrinsically related to know what's going on...

Legitreviews source from CES:

http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-ryzen-learned-ces-2017_190305

I think ASUS are way ahead of these guys in terms of overclocking support from what I've seen so far, that's why they've not played their hand yet. ASrock tend to put * disclaimers next to their spec sheets, that might even be with one module lol.

Biostar just announced AM4 board with 2933mhz support

Associate
Having motherboard vendors start listing 2933mhz as "supported overclock" frequencies is very promising, now all of these OC memory speeds are all depending on the motherboard itself and the paird memory modules so it's still not set in stone what will commonly work here.

But this does at least indicate that the zen memory controller will support "faster than standard" ddr memory frequencies when used with the correct motherboard and memory modules.

Tho what we will probably not know until release day is what timings these OC modules will need to be using, if they are really lax then there will be a performance hit rather than a gain for using the OC modules.

Associate
1331 is a lot of pins but honestly whether it's PGA or LGA affects almost no-one. A lot of fuss about nothing.

Overall I agree with you it really matters very little, but I personally feel like Intel LGA setup with the CPU IHS clamp to feel a little heavy (always feel like I could do damage if something wasn't lined up perfectly)

However on the flip side iv had PGA chips that have gotten stuck and the pin clamp release arm just wouldn't ever totally open up.... That CPU is still in that motherboard to this day :D

Soldato
Having motherboard vendors start listing 2933mhz as "supported overclock" frequencies is very promising, now all of these OC memory speeds are all depending on the motherboard itself and the paird memory modules so it's still not set in stone what will commonly work here.

But this does at least indicate that the zen memory controller will support "faster than standard" ddr memory frequencies when used with the correct motherboard and memory modules.

Tho what we will probably not know until release day is what timings these OC modules will need to be using, if they are really lax then there will be a performance hit rather than a gain for using the OC modules.

It's the subtimings that will make or break that. Currently these aren't programmable by anything other than the chipset on Zen (not sure if this will change prior to launch). With BWE, this is very much the opposite. In fact BWE is capable of running high speeds with most of the sub timings at or near the minimum spacing required by the chipset.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Overall I agree with you it really matters very little, but I personally feel like Intel LGA setup with the CPU IHS clamp to feel a little heavy (always feel like I could do damage if something wasn't lined up perfectly)

However on the flip side iv had PGA chips that have gotten stuck and the pin clamp release arm just wouldn't ever totally open up.... That CPU is still in that motherboard to this day :D

It sounds rather like you just don't know how to install CPU's properly.

Associate
It sounds rather like you just don't know how to install CPU's properly.

Probably more me worrying too much with installing the LGA intel chips.

Iv seen multiple accounts of PGA CPUs getting stuck for some reason or another sometimes the release guide / arm can get stuck or breaks

Soldato
Why? Anyone stupid enough to break pins off a CPU is also stupid enough to break them off a motherboard. Personally I prefer PGA to LGA (though my fav is still cartridge CPUs).

I agree, PGA is my preference, nothing like just dropping it into the socket. Coming from the original non ZIF (zero insertion force) sockets, nowadays it is a breeze.

Back
Top Bottom