• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
"will be priced just under Intel CPUs" is soooooo subjective, anyone can say that and when reality hits you can argue "25% less is what i meant by just under"

The fact is Intel's 4 core 8 thread is £350, if AMD similar 4 core 8 thread is £330 (what i would call just under) no one will buy it.

This is the simple little thing people who make this idiotic argument always fail to realise, AMD are not the brand recognised more than Intel, its the other way round and by a very long way, its for AMD to attract buyers to themselves, they ain't going to achieve that by being an Intel pricing clone.

Yeah. People haven't upgraded to i5/i7 quad cores so unless the 4 core Ryzen chip is massively faster I can't see it.

Soldato
AMD need market share badly. They will most likely price most of the CPU's to offer much better value than Intel equivalents. If they price them too high, most will stick with Intel. I am thinking of buying an 8C/16T chip if its priced ok but if it anywhere near Intel’s prices I will stick with what I have or wait for a cheap second hand 8C or 10C Intel chip.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

true if its at that performance or what you hope it is.

what if its not at the performance you hope for ?

Then I'm staying with the 4770k and going snowboarding instead :)

I wont be upgrading until I've finished my degree until the end of May (no way am I rebuilding my main rig in the middle of a dissertation!) so plenty of time for the market to stabilise post Ryzen launch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
If performance is what we are hoping for...they have to get the pricing right if they do then it will be a win for all of us, Intel will have to lower prices and the CPU market gets interesting again which it hasn't been since AMD launched the 1090T (a great CPU if only it had better IPC) i had a few AMD chips at that point aswell as a few I7 920s, there was a choice then, now if you want performance its Intel or GTFO

Associate
realistically look at it like this if and its a big if the top ryzen chip as quick overall as say a 6800

they are 400 + 200 mb + 100 for mem + cooler £50 min. so £750 entry lvl x99

they gunna be at least £600 plus all in.
I'd be happy with £600 all in 8c 16t Ryzen. :p

Wouldn't be entry level @ 8c though, would it?

Caporegime
I'm not sure why Intel would need to freak out and rush out any new CPU's? if AMD match them they just need to make massive price cuts across the board. Intel will still have an unrivalled 10-core processor that they can rob people blind with.

Permabanned
"will be priced just under Intel CPUs" is soooooo subjective, anyone can say that and when reality hits you can argue "25% less is what i meant by just under"

The fact is Intel's 4 core 8 thread is £350, if AMD similar 4 core 8 thread is £330 (what i would call just under) no one will buy it.

This is the simple little thing people who make this idiotic argument always fail to realise, AMD are not the brand recognised more than Intel, its the other way round and by a very long way, its for AMD to attract buyers to themselves, they ain't going to achieve that by being an Intel pricing clone.

I hope you're right, But if you look at the Fiji pricing compared to it's Nvidia competition and listen to Lisa Su's we do not want to be seen as the cheaper, lesser brand statement just before Fiji released you've got to wonder if she agrees with what you're saying.

Soldato
Part of Intel's research budget is keeping tabs on what the market and what other companies are up too. 100% they knew everything about Ryzen (or everything they could with out stealing), so I doubt there will be any big surprises for Intel, not on the performance side anyway.

Prices maybe.

Back
Top Bottom