• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
This bucket of salt has just landed on the net.....

It has a nice ring to it the "RZ 780" even if it does sound like some sort of motorbike.
If legit, which it certainly looks to be has me a little worried about the performance. Losing out to a lower clocked 32nm from 2011 is nothing to shout about. Have AMD over hyped this?

*By no means am I an intel fanboy, I want ryzen to be as good as just as much as you guys*

Soldato
I'm calling fake on that cinebench.
His other video says he has the "RZ 780" with a VX 490 on ashes of the singularity benchmark. He has put a link to another video over the results page.
However, when you download the video the actual CPU he used was a 4930K. Which adds up because at the beginning of that video the cpu freq. is 3.88 ghz, the turbo freq. of the 4930k is yes you guessed it 3.90ghz.
He also lied about the GPU, it is a 1080 not a vx 490.
Busted.

Last edited:
Associate
I hope you're right, But if you look at the Fiji pricing compared to it's Nvidia competition and listen to Lisa Su's we do not want to be seen as the cheaper, lesser brand statement just before Fiji released you've got to wonder if she agrees with what you're saying.
I think Lisa Su must quietly back down on that statement as far as Zen is concerned or AMD will surely perish. They shouldn't be seen as a cheaper, lesser brand if the 8c 16t Ryzen is a more reasonable ~£400, just products sold at a more normalizing price.

Soldato
I'm calling fake on that cinebench.
His other video says he has the "RZ 780" with a VX 490 on ashes of the singularity benchmark. He has put a link to another video over the results page.
However, when you download the video the actual CPU he used was a 4930K. Which adds up because at the beginning of that video the cpu freq. is 3.88 ghz, the turbo freq. of the 4930k is yes you guessed it 3.90ghz.
He also lied about the GPU, it is a 1080 not a vx 490.
Busted.

Look at the L3 cache in the video - it says 12MB which is the same as the Core i7 4930K.

Soldato
It has a nice ring to it the "RZ 780" even if it does sound like some sort of motorbike.
If legit, which it certainly looks to be has me a little worried about the performance. Losing out to a lower clocked 32nm from 2011 is nothing to shout about. Have AMD over hyped this?

*By no means am I an intel fanboy, I want ryzen to be as good as just as much as you guys*

I think the reference 3930k may be overclocked (cinebench just shows the stock speed no matter what). A stock 5820k gets around 1020 points.

Last edited:
Associate
Did some pixel peeping on that Ryzen video, and the text aliasing is different / sharper on the processor name text. Additionally, the "A" of AMD is slightly out of line with the other text below.

1b6kE0R.png

What d'y'all think?

Associate
knowing Ryzen is out early march, we will soon see definitive performance leaks, once AMD starts shipping to retailers and partners, give it another week.

Back
Top Bottom