• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Associate
Taking all of these leaks over the last few days together is really only pointing to one thing. AMD actually delivered the 40%+ ipc bump they promised and it's going to put the pressure back into the desktop / business / (some) server CPU markets. They look to be pricing these very aggressively against Intel.

I don't think coffee lake later this year will help intel that much either. Even if they can get an extra 15% they won't be really competitive in these markets unless they really drive down pricing.

Permabanned
http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-8-core-benchmarks/

Single and multi-threaded benchmarks for AMD’s top-end 8 core, 16 thread Ryzen 7 1800X CPU are here and they’re impressive! The company’s highly anticipated family of next generation enthusiast desktop Ryzen CPUs is less than two weeks away. The CPUs will official launch on March 2nd and their reviews will go live on February 28th.

To date, we know of at least 17 different Ryzen SKUs. Which include 8, 6 and four core CPUs set to take on Intel’s i7, i5 and i3 chips. The entire lineup has fully unlocked multipliers and is overclocking ready to boot

Soldato
I'm already running a custom loop, so i'll just need a AM4 WB and its full speed ahead. :D

Will EK CPU coolers available from day 1?

I believe EK has upgrade kits for current products. I bought the AM4 upgrade kit for the Predator 360, to keep me going initially, until I gather the rest of the things I want.
Like the TT fitting with the digital thermometer on it. While waiting from EK to release their new AIO series which is replacing Predator to see what's all about.

Also made a question to EK forums for which motherboards they are going to release RGB monoblocks, but the rep had no idea atm. He will know around release time it seems.

Soldato
http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-8-core-benchmarks/

Single and multi-threaded benchmarks for AMD’s top-end 8 core, 16 thread Ryzen 7 1800X CPU are here and they’re impressive! The company’s highly anticipated family of next generation enthusiast desktop Ryzen CPUs is less than two weeks away. The CPUs will official launch on March 2nd and their reviews will go live on February 28th.

To date, we know of at least 17 different Ryzen SKUs. Which include 8, 6 and four core CPUs set to take on Intel’s i7, i5 and i3 chips. The entire lineup has fully unlocked multipliers and is overclocking ready to boot

It looks impressive to say the least, especially since we know ALL ES cpus have/had SenseMI OFF and isn't only the SFX (turbo) mode that's missing, but all the other stuff that come with it.

Soldato
Details and video of Rog Crosshair VI AM4 board:
Product page was briefly up before it was pulled, still there via cache:
Crosshair board

and video:

While the guy might get an email that he was very naughty, I believe the motherboard looks great and going to be my first ASUS since ever.
Up to now Gigabyte, Asrock, MSI and Abit!!!! were used. (Abit with the motheboard which allowed the 2500MP to overclock at 3200Mhz)
While I have another one lurking around in the top bedroom, with a Tbird 1000 overclocked at 1550, when built my first watercooled system.

Ahh AMD. When overclocking meant overclocking of ~50%. Not 10-15% and feel privileged and lucky under Intel "rule".

Soldato
Hmmm I think I'm going to have to get one, I just went to a laptop system, but really really missing the power - 8 core for me, but I will build a m-atx system this time I think, or even smaller, I just want a tiny PC! lol but yeah 8 core, water cooling loop and 32gb ram will do me - video editing monster I'm aiming for, but not stupid money.

Caporegime
Choo Choo........

AMD_Ryzen_7_1800_X_CPU_Mark_SSE_Benchmark_WM.jpg

Soldato
6 year old fossil :p W3690 sounds like Ivy-Bridge, but it ain't!

This probably isnt accurate really as software use always varies but comparable performance gain over 6 years should mean a nearly 653% advance in those 6 years to now (because gains compound)
so on ignoring all the minor details just rough comparison my Q3'14 chip I get 11702 winrar

On the Q3'06 I get 988

8 years time between chips is 1375% gain expectation, seems a lot.

Actual gain there is 1084% or 10.84x

Both are stock, my xeon is little behind the curve compared to conroe assuming winrar is fair comparison, I figure every computers has some compression use and its an old standard. Maybe comparing max overclock on each generation of cpu is more even comparison
Who is gaining most from SSE gains there

If I look up wbot WR for W3690 I see 13,702 on winrar

Man of Honour
I recall intel cpus from 2009 having 50% overclocks. Quite easy to remember since an i5 750 has been at 150% in my case since then.
I think Nehalem was last 50% clocks from Intel.

Wonder if we will see similar core/cache unlocking like AM3. My old Athlon X4 that unlocked to a Phenom II was fantastic for the money.

Ryzen 1500 looks to be the sweet spot for me. I dont need bleeding edge performance and its a good step for future proofing

Soldato
This probably isnt accurate really as software use always varies but comparable performance gain over 6 years should mean a nearly 653% advance in those 6 years to now (because gains compound)
so on ignoring all the minor details just rough comparison my Q3'14 chip I get 11702 winrar

On the Q3'06 I get 988

8 years time between chips is 1375% gain expectation, seems a lot.

Actual gain there is 1084% or 10.84x

Both are stock, my xeon is little behind the curve compared to conroe assuming winrar is fair comparison, I figure every computers has some compression use and its an old standard. Maybe comparing max overclock on each generation of cpu is more even comparison
Who is gaining most from SSE gains there

If I look up wbot WR for W3690 I see 13,702 on winrar
IMO it gets murky fast when comparing over generations where core/thread count has changed, because multi-core is not really that different from multi-socket conceptually, so the question arises about what really constitutes like-for-like over generations. Form factor? Total cost? Number of cores/threads? Position in the manufacturer's line-up?

I'll tell you what is depressing.... single-thread performance. A current generation iPhone in your back pocket passively cooled by your arse can beat surprisingly many generations of Core-i and Xeon in single-thread performance.

Don
I'll tell you what is depressing.... single-thread performance. A current generation iPhone in your back pocket passively cooled by your arse can beat surprisingly many generations of Core-i and Xeon in single-thread performance.

Different ISAs aren't really comparable in terms of single thread performance though. One is a sleek sports car suited for a specific task, the other a premium estate that can do everything reasonably well.

Back
Top Bottom