• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
So this is taken from DinoPC. 1700 vs 7700k (stock and Overclocked).

They tested GTAV.

Screenshot_20170223_172714.png

Average is pretty similar across the board. They didn't get a chance to overclock the 1700 though.

Soldato
Not entirely surprised by those GTA V results, especially against a 5GHz 7700K. We know Kabylake is slightly stronger clock for clock, and then its running substantially higher clocks as well.

Will be interesting when we start to get the tweaked, OC'd results, firmware and BIOS updates and a wider range of games.

V F

V F

Soldato
Not entirely surprised by those GTA V results, especially against a 5GHz 7700K. We know Kabylake is slightly stronger clock for clock, and then its running substantially higher clocks as well.

Will be interesting when we start to get the tweaked, OC'd results and a wider range of games.

That wasn't what the hype was leading us to believe...

Associate
:(

Mins are bad, hopefully that is just an anomoly in that specific game, cause no amount of overclocking is going to catch that up.
Too be honest it made me consider the i7 7700k over this processor....

Will wait for the world to know well and truely what this processor is like i mean the price of the 7700k has gone down as for me gaming processor has to be intel over that benchmark.

Will have to see.

Soldato
So this is taken from DinoPC. 1700 vs 7700k (stock and Overclocked).

They tested GTAV.

Screenshot_20170223_172714.png

Average is pretty similar across the board. They didn't get a chance to overclock the 1700 though.
Kinda what I'd expect - almost no difference in average frame rates when GPU limited but the higher clocked i7-7700K would get better minimums and maximums. The only oddity for me is that I thought GTA V in particular loved extra cores, yet it doesn't seem as if the R7 1700's extra cores are helping much here.

Soldato
That wasn't what the hype was leading us to believe...

Kinda what I was expecting, it's marginally faster than Broadwell generally (varying from type of calculation etc), but a little behind Skylake and Kabylake. Then consider the 1700 will be running somewhere between 3 and 3.7 GHz, likely around 3.5. The Kabylake is running anywhere from 1GHz to 1.5GHz faster between those two 7700K results

Other games and overclocked/higher clocked Zen may show slightly different story!

By the time you've added a cooler as I don't think 7700k comes with one, then the 7700K is more expensive by say £20-30, and will be beaten in other areas.

Man of Honour
Its
Kinda what I'd expect - almost no difference in average frame rates when GPU limited but the higher clocked i7-7700K would get better minimums and maximums. The only oddity for me is that I thought GTA V in particular loved extra cores, yet it doesn't seem as if the R7 1700's extra cores are helping much here.
It's 2ghz down compared to the 7700k

Associate
I'm not alarmed either, I knew GTA V benchmarks would be the first ones to hurt because more cores are irrelevant for it, maybe with OC it can match a 6700K... but then Intel will probably make it cheaper than the 1700, competition is always a profit for us.

Last edited:
Soldato
GTAV seems to not scale that well with cores anyway:

http://www.techspot.com/articles-info/991/bench/CPU_01.png
http://media.gamersnexus.net/images/media/2015/game-bench/gta-v-cpu-1080-max.jpg

LOL,I would love to see that R7 1700 overclocked too. Its a 65W TDP 3.0GHZ to 3.7GHZ against a 91W TDP Core i7 7700K.

Look at how bad an FX8370 is doing in that title.

It seems to prefer 4 strong cores,meaning even at a lower clockspeed Ryzen is doing much better than it should.

AMD have had to keep things very hush on Zen, Intel are a giant and can make a come back, but a giant needs time and AMD have done such a good job at keeping this under wraps that any retaliation from Intel will take time and like AMD say, its just the start, I sure for one welcome the good old days back where AMD were around 50% processor market share and more in the gaming arena. :)

Agreed.

Soldato
I understand gibbo,

Anyways i want to buy a 1700 and what motherboard would you recommend (cheapest as possible) as well as the cpu cooler, will stock cooler do it any justice in keeping it cool enough at 4ghz?

He said a 240mm AIO was used for the 4ghz clock. Now I'm sure the Wraith is meant to be good, but I doubt it matches a 240mm AIO.

I am looking for a motherboard too, but I really couldn't justify £250 for the Crosshair. Suggestions around the £120-150 mark would be fine though (lower the better). If I could have justified the Crosshair, I'd probably have been ably to justify the 1800x too, lol.

Back
Top Bottom