• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
Yeah, he was right about 2666Mhz RAM being the absolute limit on Ryzen, he was right about nobody being able to OC the CPU over 4GHz, and when the time comes I'm sure he will follow through on his promise to give away his computer to the first person to OC the RAM to 3866Mhz or higher :p

Actually, I was right about everything. Some just don't have a grasp on memory overclocking. I said 4Ghz OC would be the limit on air, which is correct. I said memory overclocking was seeing as much as 30%. 2400 + 30%. Which if you're capable of doing the math, is pretty much bang on the maximum obtainable frequency.

You can always buy the high bin kits yourself and post up some memory overclocking results as I will be doing - instead of back chatting. This is probably a good idea.

Also, yes - if you can show results running 3866mhz in HCI MemTest with 2 or more DIMMs, I'll post you my rig ;)

Associate
Which is fine if there was a valid alternative. If there is no alternative, and you need to buy a new processor (e.g. your motherboard failed, and pointless ploughing dead money into an old socket / used board), then what do you do... just not buy one and go without?

It's irrelevant anyway, as retail consumers we are probably only a tiny share of processors sold - so it's unlikely that any change in buying habit makes much difference (certainly to Intel). Maybe because in general the PC market slowed - meaning less OEM PCs sold = less CPUs sold = Intel wanted to charge more?

Wasn't the whole thing that the "general PC marked has slowed" but the enthusiast side of things has grown a shed load in the last 10 years ?

Associate
@iHATEMacs According to Gibbo, all 1700, 1700X & 1800X have XFR.....

So what I take from this is ALL Ryzen CPU's have XFR, every single one. The X editions are just high clocked versions of said CPU as Gibbo said.

TBH, I would put my house on @Gibbo knowing much more than anyone else in here about these CPU's, so I am taking his word for it.

EDIT: X meaning higher clock per amount of cores. So R3's with X are higher clocked than the base R3 and so on for R5's and R7's.

That doesn't seem to be correct. I queried it earlier in the thread and Gibbo responded with

I did quote it earlier!

I can only go on what the official AMD marketing says as I referred to in the links I posted. Maybe Gibbo could clarify this for you so it puts it to bed. I don't wanna seem like a knob that goes against the grain. I'll happily put my hands up if I have misread/misunderstood it.

Associate
I am not biased towards either!

But we just tested a 1700, it hit 4.0GHz stable in everything, but ONLY in the Crosshair mainboard, the lower-end boards it was hovering around 3.80GHz as the VRM's were cooking with extra voltage. It however was maxing around 4050MHz, so I'd say 1700 can do 3.9-4.1GHz, of course the 1800X will probably do 4.1-4.3 as no doubt better binned, but if your clocking the motherboard has a big impact on the overclock and so far Asus Crosshair and Asrock Taichi seem the best two.

I say it how it is, Intel is still selling and always will, we have no exposure on Intel. :)

Nice bit of insight thx for that gibbo

Associate
Know how you feel. 1700X would probably do just fine, but that extra £100 is just burning a hole in my wallet...

Think I will go for the 1800x for the hell of it. First pc in 5 years so ill push the boat out a bit, normally I was changing pcs every 1/2 years so would have spent a hell of a lot more on parts over the last 5 years had the prices for the little change in performance we got not gone mental.

Edit: That and the savings I've made with driving a different car to work and back have already added up to a fair bit, which can go towards the new shinnies.

Last edited:
Associate
Not like it matters much in any real sense, but I think the Ryzen branding has been absolutely spot on.

Even with AMD were competitive back in the day their branding was always a bit dull, maybe I'm remembering that wrong but it's always the vibe I've had from AMD.

Cool name, nice font, awesome logo.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
The other thing I just noticed which Adored has pointed out on his latest video is that actually...AMD made a booboo in the marketing slides looking at the footnotes. Ryzen is NOT 52% faster than Excavator clock per clock...it's 64%. 52% was Piledriver!

Not sure if that was a deliberate slip up to further obfusticate performance but hey...more performance!

we, no it wasnt - it was excavator - piledriver might be 64% and steamroller/bulldozer before those might be into the 70's.

56384_02_amds-new-ryzen-cpu-hits-52-ipc-improvement.jpg

Back
Top Bottom