• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Associate
Possibly the only honest review, showing the systems running side by side on a GTX1080
Especially impressed given that the 7700K runs at 5Ghz and the 1700 at 3.9. And while the 7700K is trying hard, the 1700 keeps up with 2/3 of the CPU snoring going nothing. On some benchmarks half the cores are at 0%!!!!!

However did anyone realised that the games were smoother on the 1700 compared to the 7700K? And it looks isn't only me who realised that, there is a whole discussion under the video about this.

I was going to say it looked smoother but that could have been how it was rendered.

OcUK Staff
The reality is, it wasn't a great deal better on Intel's side 3 years ago. Very few venders express the reality in which some of these memory speeds are achieved, or how likely it is consumers will be able to achieve them.
The very short version is auto ruling will hopefully improve as the platform matures, which means less intervention is required from whoever is sat behind the keyboard. The amount of variables present when overclocking memory high is in a class of it's own, and the rule sets used by the board vendors will eventually mature to a point where alignment is well met for most cases (CPU) as well as improved Microcode from AMD.

Really no. On launch asrock ocf formula z170 was running 3866 to 4K no issues at all. Asus xtreme and Gene also running. I tried prior to launch without issues and solid auto rules. 8Pack systems where switched on launch to this platform.

Soldato
I think AMD have played some cleaver marketing.

I agree on that. One says XFR works on single core thread. Other says boost clocks work on 2 threads.
Anyone who watches again last weeks video and all the CPU specs, they don't say such thing leaving to everyone to understand that the whole CPU clocks that high.

So I agree, clever marketing, but well, look at Nvidia they manage to escape with far worse marketing tricks.

But still they have managed to produce a great product. Especially the 1700 @ 3.9Ghz vs 7700K @ 5Ghz video, shows how powerful it is.
The 1700 yes was 2-5 fps lower, but the cores were snoring. The CPU could run two clients at the same time there, feeding 2 GTX1080s, and still have the same performance on both!!!!!
At the same time when the 1700 is cheaper than the 7700K!!!!

And how far better will be when AMD & Microsoft release that damned windows patch which looks is causing most of the issues.

Maybe just maybe, AMD is pulling the same marketing tricks we got used with Intel and Nvidia, and we get disgruntled about this.

Personally I will pick my Ryzen next few weeks, when the dust settles, the Taichi reviewed and knowing which mobos EK going to support with monoblocks.

1800X at 4G all cores also needs very good cooling guys. Single aio was not doing it well with high mems. I think 240 aio or above.
I do hope 2 Nemesis 480GTX planning to use, will be enough :D

Associate
So now the reviews are out, ryzen for me but in a quandary. I was thinking 1700 with crosshair but for not much more a 1800x could be got with a b370 board.

the 1800x might not overclock but can I be bothered to keep an overclock working, my current gigabyte x58 rig is a bit of pig to keep running with random crashes every so often (time scale of months) and then saved profiles seem not not work and I have to spend a couple of nights resetting up for 4GHz again. If I could get a DFI lanparty like my old s939 system I would be there that was rock solid for years with 50% overclock. Have I been unlucky with x58 and overclocking is it easier now?

For cooling a I was thinking a NH-D15 is this man enough? I have a water loop at the minute and as PC is in front room I want some thing a queiter when using for streaming.

Associate
How come the jittery & stuttering gaming on a 7700 hasn't been highlighted before today?
The reviews I've looked at previously showed excellent frames times and latency for the 7700 making it an ideal gaming cpu.
I'm confused :confused:

Associate
So it seems the 4C/8T models might actually less affected and it seems AMD launching this before proper Windows patches has caused the problem.
Of course, a reviewer or someone who has Ryzen could disable some cores (doesn't Ryzen Master Tool allow this, if not the BIOS might offer that option) and see if turning it into 4C/8T would help some of these gaming benches.

Soldato
Techspot mentioned they had issues with their ASUS motherboard, and had to replace it to get reviews done. AMD admitted to them there are currently issues with the motherboards; which is odd as didn't most places get the Asus Crosshair board for review? Could have caused issues at many reviewers.

http://www.techspot.com/review/1345-amd-ryzen-7-1800x-1700x/page7.html
Scorpus
I will put this here for people wondering about the gaming results:
We had a lot of trouble benchmarking games with Ryzen. It seems we weren't the only ones, and many other reviewers have reported strangely low performance here. Our initial Asus board was plagued with bugs, and we saw some gains simply by switching to a Gigabyte or Asrock board. This really isn't the sort of behavior you'd expect, and AMD even acknowledged there were some issues with some Asus boards.
While we are pretty confident in our application test results, there could be some unresolved early issues with Ryzen and AM4 boards that is leading to strangely low gaming performance. We're not 100% sure what is going on there; Steve and I spent a while discussing what could be up, and we ended up confused more than anything else.
So if you're a gamer that's looking at our gaming results and thinking "that's disappointing", there could be an unresolved story here.
Of course one possible conclusion is simply that Ryzen isn't that amazing in games, but we're just not fully sure that is truly the case if all hardware was working correctly

EDIT: Don't get your hopes up about a potential fix. The results we achieved could be it, and you should make any buying decisions accordingly at this stage. The best thing may be to wait a few weeks just to make sure
wink.png

Caporegime
How come the jittery & stuttering gaming on a 7700 hasn't been highlighted before today?
The reviews I've looked at previously showed excellent frames times and latency for the 7700 making it an ideal gaming cpu.

It's the same sort of statement that was doing the rounds with Piledriver, Intel obviously had higher performance but the AMD fans were saying that AMD 'felt smoother'. I'd take it with a pinch of salt since most of them have long since switched to Intel.

Soldato
Of course, a reviewer or someone who has Ryzen could disable some cores (doesn't Ryzen Master Tool allow this, if not the BIOS might offer that option) and see if turning it into 4C/8T would help some of these gaming benches.
Why would it, unless it clocked higher? We already know disabling SMT boosts FPS by ~10% in 7/8 games tested, but just disabling cores willy nilly won't do anything.

Associate
which is odd as didn't most places get the Asus Crosshair board for review? Could have caused issues at many reviewers.

A lot of the YouTube reviewers did an unboxing of the review gear video, and I think only one I saw got the Crosshair. A variety of boards and coolers were sent out to them.
Perhaps the concerns are coming mainly from those with an Asus, though Gibbo has had great clocking success with the Crosshair.
I notice that the manual is still not up on the Asus site for the Crosshair.

Last edited:
Soldato
A lot of the YouTube reviewers did an unboxing of the review gear video, and I think only one I saw got the Crosshair. A variety of boards and coolers were sent out to them.
Perhaps the concerns are coming mainly from those with an Asus.

Ah yes could be. I saw Linus got an Asus Crosshair, and then dropped it and the test rig on the floor due to bad positioning it on a table.
Silly buggers!

https://youtu.be/9wJQEHNYE7M?t=13m3s

Soldato
Really no. On launch asrock ocf formula z170 was running 3866 to 4K no issues at all. Asus xtreme and Gene also running. I tried prior to launch without issues and solid auto rules. 8Pack systems where switched on launch to this platform.

Fair, but was talking about X99, most of the ratios were ropey till you got to 3200.

Associate

You and me both and I own a 7700k. And guess what. I have no stuttering issues whatsoever. Funnily enough reflecting the reviews of Kabylake, just excellent gaming performance with no issues. Draw your own conclusions ;)

Associate
If you game at low res, who pays £300-500 for a CPU and doesn't fork out for at least a 1440p monitor? Some of this is just disingenuous. Ryzen matches Intel at any sensible high end gaming resolution and is much cheaper. For the few percent difference you'd have to be mad, rich or both to buy Intel and you certainly would not notice the difference if you didn't know what was inside.

Stolen from elsewhere but the "Intel Damage Control Team" is out in full force on the Interwebs tonight.

I personally would rather have a 1080p 144hz monitor with higher fps, lower res, over a much higher resolution with less fps. This infact makes Ryzen even more appealing to me since it will give the performance, as well as the other benefits. I agree with you and it really irks me that many people are getting upset over the gaming performance instead of seeing the great overall package that Ryzen delivers.

Back
Top Bottom