• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Associate
I think the overclocking dud thing is a bit misleading. We've been trained by intel these last few years to expect overclocking as a paid for feature of the top of the line chip. When in the past it was more about taking a cheaper chip and getting higher end performance out of it. Seems to be that as a classic overclocker the 1700 is pretty good. £180 cheaper than the 1800x and with a bit of coaxing, a good cooler and motherboard and you can get 25% overclock that matches or even beats its big brother.

Looks like the 1800x is really a bit poop though, at least when compared to the cheaper SKUs

Permabanned
I ordered 22 Feb 2017 20:15:00. Still nothing for me :(

If this is the case (dispatch note to verify) then I am quite disappointed.

Maybe the problems due to cancelled orders going back on sale?
I'm not saying I'm right or that it's fair if it is right,
I was just wondering if you have 500 ordered and 300 are in stock now do you then earmark the other 200 for a batch coming in 48 hours after sales go live?
And then what do they do if say 10 people in the first 300 cancel their order before they're posted on the day they go live?
Do they shuffle through the 200 or do they add +10 to the sales page?
I ask because I noticed 1700 and 1700x suddenly had around +7 later in the day when I had a look.

Associate
A lot of smaller reviewers with side by side gameplay vids show much more even performance vs mainstream reviewers who only do slides.
Because smaller reviewers show actual gaming videos (proper game settings adjusted to specific graphic card=how you would play them), while big reviewers want to be smarter and say how you should "test CPU" to show you situations you would never be in like 720p res or 1080p with low res to give you idea of differences "in gaming".

Man of Honour
When was yours ordered? Trying to see if mine might get despatched! From what they said on the phone they only had 16 ASUS Crosshair mobos coming in.

18:05 on the 22nd. I didn't go high end on the motherboard though. Gigabyte B350 Gaming 3.

When I rang yesterday they had 15 coming with 5 preordered and I was the first to order that particular board

Permabanned

That joker guy put up side by side benchmarks and gameplay to show framerates. Most of the time theres really not much in it.
It seems there is a variance with some games fallling behind a bit but overall Ryzen is giving respectable results, I don't currently see the value in choosing an 1800 over a 1700, I was set on an 1800x to start with but now if I was buying now it's be a 1700 or maybe a 1700x.

Associate
Very disappointed in ocUK in this case. Those of us who preordered when they went live last week should have had priority over those ordering yesterday and today. The fact I've still not had a dispatch email makes me want to outright cancel my order all together.
This sounds similar to when the 1080 was released, pre-orders seemed to get dispatched at random. Anyway, someone can have mine, I've cancelled my order for a C6H and ordered elsewhere who have confirmed I was one of the last 2 that they had in stock.

Soldato
It seems there is a variance with some games fallling behind a bit but overall Ryzen is giving respectable results, I don't currently see the value in choosing an 1800 over a 1700, I was set on an 1800x to start with but now if I was buying now it's be a 1700 or maybe a 1700x.

The 1700 looks fantastic value for money. Seeing it at 3.9Ghz give the 7700K at 5Ghz a good showing is even more impressive.
people need to realise the 1700 is AMD's 5960X in performance, but at a third of the price. It's very appealing.

Motherboard manufactures just really need to sort out the issues hampering performance.

https://translate.google.co.uk/tran...ndlich-zurueck-1703-125996-4.html&prev=search

The MSI board was delivered with BIOS version 113, until last Friday a new one appeared.

Version 117, which is still up-to-date, improved speed and stability. If we were still able to count on sporadic Bluescreens with the older UEFI, the board is currently stable. Much more important, however, is the drastically higher performance in games and the real pack with 7-Zip. The release notes include, among other things, a fixed problem with the memory act and its timing as well as the voltage.

Compared to the original bios, the new UEFI increases the image rate in our game course between plus 4 and plus 26 percent, on the average even plus 17 percent!

Associate
It's strange how the 1700 is having better luck at overclocking than the 1700x and 1800x. In a weird way, do we have a Nvidia Ti card beating the Titan situation but in CPU's?

Soldato
The 1700 looks fantastic value for money. Seeing it at 3.9Ghz give the 7700K at 5Ghz a good showing is even more impressive.
people need to realise the 1700 is AMD's 5960X in performance, but at a third of the price. It's very appealing.

Motherboard manufactures just really need to sort out the issues hampering performance.

https://translate.google.co.uk/tran...ndlich-zurueck-1703-125996-4.html&prev=search

Also the SMT issue in games,but I have a feeling AMD PR made it sound worse than it is by saying it needed to be patched on a game by game basis. I suspect once MS gets around to optimising the scheduler hopefully things will improve.

Soldato
Apparently everyone and their grannies only care about 720p and 1080p gaming. :p

At those low resolutions though it's significantly more CPU dependant, which is why it's tested there to see how well the CPUs cope.
Yes and city cars also have much more trouble when asked to drive through lava, I guess that's why car reviewers all do that test.

Caporegime
Its lower leakage - the people over on XS forums confirmed it.

Low leakage = better power consumption and thermals
High leakage = better overclocking

Thats the theory, in reality often the low leakage part is better for overclocking because while they may not clock out right as high its much easier to keep the power and thermals in check.

Back
Top Bottom