• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
So is it true the faster ram = much better gaming performance?

Based on the RAM speed video floating around? If its the case, I am going overboard on the speed for when they are compatible.

It certainly seems it. I've just put some gskill 3600 in mine but not had change to play yet so I'm currently at 3200. If I get it any faster I'll post some benchmarks.

Soldato
It certainly seems it. I've just put some gskill 3600 in mine but not had change to play yet so I'm currently at 3200. If I get it any faster I'll post some benchmarks.

I've not had any luck with the HyperX ram. Forget trying just two sticks - couldn't get a single stick to work at 2666 and I tried all of them.

I suppose I could try each at stock, but don't think will have more luck to be honest. Think the X370 pro is just plain poor for memory support.

Bet I'd have more luck with a crosshair. But if I was going to spend yet more money, I'd be moving away from Asus.

They're like bloody snails with the support.

Soldato
I've not had any luck with the HyperX ram. Forget trying just two sticks - couldn't get a single stick to work at 2666 and I tried all of them.

I suppose I could try each at stock, but don't think will have more luck to be honest. Think the X370 pro is just plain poor for memory support.

Bet I'd have more luck with a crosshair. But if I was going to spend yet more money, I'd be moving away from Asus.

They're like bloody snails with the support.

The crosshair seems to have the most support of all the boards tbh. Elmor has done a fantastic job over at overclock.net with helping people with issues.
Although I know what its like buying another product from the same manufacturer that has left a sour taste in your mouth.

Soldato
If you have the Asus Crosshair 6, this chap as some advice to squeeze out more Giggawattz out of your RAM.

He managed to get 3600Mhz running.

I'm going to be trying this when I get the time. He has the exact same setup as me so I should at least get close.

I have some Trident 3866Mhz on the way, if bios updates allow for it, will see how much it helps.

I'm hoping for a 3600mhz mem strap to make its way into BIOS's soon. I'd rather not tinker with the BCLK too much due to m.2 etc.

Soldato
Well no it's just as much Amd's responsibility to ensure that with their promotion of 'Am4 Longlife' that the board manufacturers are providing future proofed ports.
I understand from a gaming perspective that most will only need a discreet card and couldn't care less about the Igp or even HDMI ports.
But there is also the other side of things where Hdmi2 and Htpc-casual gaming in the front room using an Av Amp for true high bit rate audio codecs comes into play.
Where the Apu the minimum hdmi spec should be HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2. You need this not just for 4k 60hz bandwidth 4:4:4/2, HDR etc but for copyright protection and to allow Netflix 4k to decode.
Although currently Netflix 4k is locked to windows 10 + edge + kaby lake only, discreet gpu's with h.265 Decoders are blacklisted at the moment.

But either way I guess it comes down to user preference but it's def something that needs to be looked at as time goes on.

Hmm, I get your point, maybe when the APUs arrive we will see osme more media focused boards released.

Either way I don't think we should be putting HDMI 2.0 ports on any future GPUs/boards, they should have Displayport instead, let HDMI on GPUs/boards die with 1.4 and leave HDMI 2.0 to the TV end of the cable.

Associate
Damn, shut my machine down earlier and now it wont power on. Checked the PSU and with the paperclip trick and it's fine. Time to request an rma and hopefully a refund. Ordered the msi carbon to replace it.

Associate
Just checked the psu with my old system and it's running that fine. Whatever has happened I'm hoping the CPU is fine as I have a replacement board coming Thursday. Bloody weird though shutdown the machine a couple of hours later go to boot it and nothing at all.

Soldato
I can't seeing it being an issue. It just might be worth using one stick at a time and trying it then or trying different slots. I had some crucial that wouldn't power on with both sticks installed back when the fx chips released.

Soldato
Due to the £ possibly taking another hit today I'm thinking that now might be a good idea to finally take the plunge and upgrade to this.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £769.47
(includes shipping: £10.50)

Has anyone used the Team Group Ram, and if so are you able to get the full speeds?

Last edited:
Associate
Gigabyte AB350 gaming 3. A pity as it's been solid until today. MSI carbon has been shipped so at least i can test the CPU and memory tomorrow.

Have you reset the cmos? You can also try removing the battery and leaving it out for 10 mins to completely clear everything and see if you can get it to boot after.

Soldato
Due to the £ possibly taking another hit today I'm thinking that now might be a good idea to finally take the plunge and upgrade to this.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £769.47
(includes shipping: £10.50)

Has anyone used the Team Group Ram, and if so are you able to get the full speeds?

Nice. A member on here has got his team group running at 2933mhz

Back
Top Bottom