• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Associate
Same here, I've always bought ASUS in the past but decided to get a Taichi, I love it too and would definitely consider Asrock again in the future. I think they got the design of the Taichi spot on.

If you are bothered about looks, it's a fail. The spec is great though.

Soldato
So I just received a 1600 and the stock Wraith Spire cooler doesn't seem to have the LED lighting on it? Is this normal? I assumed the bit around the fan lit up along with the AMD logo?

Soldato
My brain is starting to melt out of my ears trying to pick mobo & ram to go with my R600..!

I like the idea of X370 for better specced components such as vrm but I don't need crossfire & doubt I ever will. Also.. buying a motherboard that costs almost the same as the cpu? Seems to defeat the point of going for price/performance. And ram? - well just got to bite the bullet on that:p

I think I may just go with the tomahawk & some CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 (even though it will probably be hynix not b-die)

Mate will be doing a build with the MSI B350 Tomahawk and a R5 1600,so I will report back.

Associate
Mate will be doing a build with the MSI B350 Tomahawk and a R5 1600,so I will report back.

Thanks. A while back MSI announced some new boards & one of them was the B350 gaming carbon pro. Stock is starting to appear in the uk & buildzoid has good things to say about the vrms so might plump for this one. The new asus strix b350 looks nice to, no stock i can find yet though.

Caporegime
http://wccftech.com/amd-taking-the-covers-off-vega-navi-may-16th/

Zen+ 40% IPC over Zen? oh my.....

AMD-_Zen_Zen-_Roadmap.png

Soldato
All Good :) I suspect that the big arrow is pure marketing and not supposed to be indicative of anything just yet. Perhaps I have been brainwashed by the Intel 'Tick' 'Tock' but I would be expecting a reasonably small IPC gain and MhZ gain to Zen+ as the platform matures without any major arch changes that would be needed to see anything more than modest IPC gain.

Of course that is complete guesswork!

-Edit-

Obviously the flipside is also possible with the millions of chips out there and a completely new process we could see AMD identifying relatively small changes that create large improvements in efficiency that they can't fix with microcode updates and Zen+ could be the chip that takes AMD from being pretty close to parity with Intel to leaving them with egg on face.

Associate
Hey everyone, just got my rig running over the weekend with a 1800x and 16gb of trident z Rgb, got it running stable at 2933 but at 3200 just reboot cycles.

Got the cpu to 3.975, 4.00 is possible but i have to drop the memory speed in order to get it so I just settled for a happy compromise. My boards a gigabyte x370 gaming 5 and so far I couldn't be happier, ryzen has definitely thrown the cat among the pigeons ;)

Soldato
Hey everyone, just got my rig running over the weekend with a 1800x and 16gb of trident z Rgb, got it running stable at 2933 but at 3200 just reboot cycles.

Got the cpu to 3.975, 4.00 is possible but i have to drop the memory speed in order to get it so I just settled for a happy compromise. My boards a gigabyte x370 gaming 5 and so far I couldn't be happier, ryzen has definitely thrown the cat among the pigeons ;)

Don't be afraid on increasing RAM voltage. This new bios has borked my voltage requirements it seems. Before it was 1.35v now I need 1.45v but its solidly booting every single time like it was before this update.

Looks like the major new AGESA update will be out soon:

https://www.techpowerup.com/233106/amd-readies-ryzen-agesa-update-to-improve-ddr4-memory-support

Hopefully better DDR4 compatibility soon!!

Can't come quick enough!

Caporegime
Associate
Don't be afraid on increasing RAM voltage. This new bios has borked my voltage requirements it seems. Before it was 1.35v now I need 1.45v but its solidly booting every single time like it was before this update.

Can't come quick enough!

Thanks ill try upping the voltage and see how it goes. As for the BIOS updates im hoping it will just be a case of install that and were all fine.

Back
Top Bottom