• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
Thanks. A while back MSI announced some new boards & one of them was the B350 gaming carbon pro. Stock is starting to appear in the uk & buildzoid has good things to say about the vrms so might plump for this one. The new asus strix b350 looks nice to, no stock i can find yet though.

Not sure why anyone would buy this when the better featured X370 Gaming Plus is only around a tenner more.

Associate
Can I ask you guys something, I am interested if people with a good (CPU) rig especially a Ryzen rig can play this 8K movie ON 60 FPS!

Make sure not using edge because it uses your GPU instead of the CPU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNz-CLzEcCs

edit: you need a fast internet connection to play this without buffering!

Step 1 click on the link
Step 2 turn the quality to 4320 60FPS
Step 3 Turn off any gpu hardware acceleration
Step 4 check your CPU usage and put your cpu stats/results in his thread
Step 5 thanx all!

Last edited:
Associate
http://wccftech.com/amd-taking-the-covers-off-vega-navi-may-16th/

Zen+ 40% IPC over Zen? oh my.....

AMD-_Zen_Zen-_Roadmap.png

a 10% ipc lift would be good vs zen and make even bigger waves.
Feels really good owning a Ryzen cpu knowing how it beats the competition at half the price.

Associate
Can I ask you guys something, I am interested if people with a good (CPU) rig especially a Ryzen rig can play this 8K movie ON 60 FPS!

Step 1 click on the link
Step 5 thanx all!

R7 1700 at 3.9 GHz here, with 32GB of RAM.

I can't watch it at 60 FPS on Chrome, but I think it's a limitation of chrome/youtube, because I only get about 50% CPU usage (including any other background stuff going on), so I imagine it's fine hardware-wise, just crap software.

Associate

Step 1 click on the link
Step 5 thanx all!

i7 860@4Ghz hovers around 94%
My fans spins like a crazy.

Associate

I can't watch it at 60 FPS on Chrome, but I think it's a limitation of chrome/youtube, because I only get about 50% CPU usage (including any other background stuff going on), so I imagine it's fine hardware-wise, just crap software.

Thx for trying, yeah I also think its software crap. Even the 6950x stutters.

But wasn't your internetconnection bottlenecking it?

Soldato

i7 860@4Ghz hovers around 94%
My fans spins like a crazy.

Run it in Microsoft Edge and your cpu wont even break a sweat :)

Associate
Run it in Microsoft Edge and your cpu wont even break a sweat :)

Yeah works fine on Edge, but that's expected :p

Nah I'm on 65-70 Mb/s, and in "Stats for nerds" in the right-click menu, it was getting up to 10 seconds of buffer.

Soldato
Soldato
If that was true I'd feel a bit gutted buying Zen as is.

But as above if that's over excavator then fair enough, but I thought they were already touting Zen as 40 over?

They are.. But if one were to look at this a bit more objectively buying Zen now, thinking this rumour as true, is still not a reason to feel gutted I think. You get a 6+ core beast for less money than the competition with very competitive IPC and unmatched multithread performance and you are not even making a sacrifice on the power bill and the cost is not insane of this chip either meaning that you most likely have the ability to buy the upgrade aka zen+ once it arrives without investing in a new platform, where as the competition usually leaves you dried up in that regard and forces you to change platform if you want more than 10% IPC improvement or near 0% if we go by kabylake.

The actual translation to that poll is people are pleased to finally have a competitor in the CPU market, as for Kabylake people were tired of seeing the small gains Intel has drip fed for so many years.

I would say I feel positive about Ryzen 5 but I won't be buying one. Therefor 100% of people in my poll aren't buying Ryzen. Extrapolate that to say 100% of people aren't buying Ryzen and you have a wccftech article.

Back
Top Bottom