• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Caporegime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwuupEyq1h4

Somebody understands German? At 7:00 minutes he is showing ryzen right? And at 11:00 he is showing I7 7700k right? Why is the usage of the i7 so high?

It can't really handle gaming on its own... look at the CPU usage on the 7700K in BF1 in this review, its almost maxed right out.....

The i5 as you would expect is worse, that spends almost as much time with its threads maxed out as it does not, the very first game Metro LL look at the performance difference between it and the 1600, the Ryzen chip is 50 FPS faster in some areas....

Why are mainstream reviewers still recommending these Intel chips over Ryzen?! they clearly cannot hold a candle to Ryzen. :confused:

Last edited:
Caporegime
That ^^^ and this gives me faith, look at the replies in this Toms Hardware best CPU thing, best are all Intel's....yeah including an i3 over an 8 thread Ryzen? OH COME ON!!! right!
9 out of 10 replies currently are pouring scorn on Toms for this article as clear Intel Bias.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-3406973/cpus.html#19652880

Saying that an i5 7500 is one of the best CPU's of 2017 is disgusting.

How much did Intel pay for this travesty?

How big was the Intels briefcase?

Done with Tom's. Obviously bought and paid for. No unbiased reviews here.

This article sets a new bar for fake reviewing. To think I once considered tomshardware a reliable source, and now they are shills. To any reader who may be curious, do your own research and make sure to look up comparisons between Intel and the latest Ryzen processors. They give Intel's offerings an absolute beating from a price per dollar standpoint.

Well I guess that's what Intel paying for the Christmas party gets you... Bluewash

And so it goes on and on and.....

Last edited:
Associate
5 years ago I bought a 2500k for it's price/performance & it's quite possible I visited toms hardware. This week I bought an R5 1600 for it's price/performance & I still visit toms hardware... but only because half my google searches seem to return q&a's from their site:/

Anyhoo, what a joke that article is!

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
I also agree with this comment in their user replies:
there is no reason for the i3 7100 to be on the list when we have the pentium 4560/4600 available, and we have no ryzen 1600? .
Seriously recommending a Core i3 for anything right now is a joke. Either save a huge amount of money and get the Pentium G4560 for nearly the same performance, or get a much better multitasking Ryzen 5.

It's no surprise that in their response, they defend both testing at 1080p with a GTX 1080 Ti, and also using only average FPS scores to work out price/performance ratios.

Last edited:
Associate
Even though AMD said all B350 motherboards should be fine with the R5 series,I have seen reports that some motherboards need a BIOS update to work with them!! From what I gather the MSI B350 Tomahawk(not the white one) supports Ryzen 5 with the initial BIOS revision.

My brain is starting to melt out of my ears trying to pick mobo & ram to go with my R600..!

I like the idea of X370 for better specced components such as vrm but I don't need crossfire & doubt I ever will. Also.. buying a motherboard that costs almost the same as the cpu? Seems to defeat the point of going for price/performance. And ram? - well just got to bite the bullet on that:p

I think I may just go with the tomahawk & some CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 (even though it will probably be hynix not b-die)

Associate
My brain is starting to melt out of my ears trying to pick mobo & ram to go with my R600..!

I like the idea of X370 for better specced components such as vrm but I don't need crossfire & doubt I ever will. Also.. buying a motherboard that costs almost the same as the cpu? Seems to defeat the point of going for price/performance. And ram? - well just got to bite the bullet on that:p

I think I may just go with the tomahawk & some CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 (even though it will probably be hynix not b-die)

The more expensive mobo makes sense considering they are sticking with the AM4 socket at least until 2020, i believe. Good to have a solid base for upgrading to zen 2 or 3 potentially.

Soldato
Has anybody an idea why my Crosshair/1700 is restarting after normal shutdown?

I have been through the power options and also device manager to remove hardware wake ups.

It seems to have started recently, possibly with Bios 1107 not sure.

Processor at stock, memory at 3200C16 1.37V, no heat issues. I have removed fast boot.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Soldato
Has anybody an idea why my Crosshair/1700 is restarting after normal shutdown?

I have been through the power options and also device manager to remove hardware wake ups.

It seems to have started recently, possibly with Bios 1107 not sure.

Processor at stock, memory at 3200C16 1.37V, no heat issues. I have removed fast boot.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Common problem buddy. A lot of people are suffering and all have their own theories.
Interestingly enough I've started having the boot issues since 1107 aswell. Our hope is to wait for another bios.

Permabanned
Yep. Right now shows how rotten the whole reviewing and media process is.
We know it for years, but right now does show clearly and without doubt.
No surprise really I wonder if it's something to do with what Intel said just before Ryzens release the whole "talk to us before you send out your reviews".

Associate

I just went balls out and grabbed a Taichi. Hoping there will be less fuss with the memory, decent overclocking ability should I decide to push it hard, and I will have a top spec motherboard for the next gen Ryzen if they are decent. It also looked pretty good with my grey/black memory colour.

Associate

I`ve got an MSI X370 Pro Carbon, with an R5 1600 and that memory. CPU is good @ 3800, but bombs out @3900 with reasonable voltage (1.375). Memory is rock solid @2933, was rebooting @3200, but now seems stable @3200.

I'm waiting for the AM4 bracket to arrive for my Dark Rock Pro 3 cooler. Maybe that will allow a 3900(+ ?) overclock on the CPU, but an extra 100Mhz or two on the CPU doesn't bother me much. The main thing was getting memory stable, and so far so good. The promised May BIOS update might make things even better.

Soldato
I`ve got an MSI X370 Pro Carbon, with an R5 1600 and that memory. CPU is good @ 3800, but bombs out @3900 with reasonable voltage (1.375). Memory is rock solid @2933, was rebooting @3200, but now seems stable @3200.

I'm waiting for the AM4 bracket to arrive for my Dark Rock Pro 3 cooler. Maybe that will allow a 3900(+ ?) overclock on the CPU, but an extra 100Mhz or two on the CPU doesn't bother me much. The main thing was getting memory stable, and so far so good. The promised May BIOS update might make things even better.

I have 2 1700's one of them isn't stable at 3.9 even up to 1.45 so that's sat at 3.8 at 1.37v. The other can do 3.9 at 1.4v the differences are minimal. Having your memory running at least 3200 is the main thing I've found.

Associate
I have 2 1700's one of them isn't stable at 3.9 even up to 1.45 so that's sat at 3.8 at 1.37v. The other can do 3.9 at 1.4v the differences are minimal. Having your memory running at least 3200 is the main thing I've found.

Before making the decision, I knew that memory speed was an important factor in Ryzen's performance. That's why I read lots of reviews and forum posts before deciding on which motherboard to purchase. It's likely that BIOS updates will equalise things when it comes to memory speed/compatibility, but the MSI Pro Carbon seemed to be a safe bet for the time being. I haven't really spent much time testing the 1600 yet, but it does seem to perform well.

Associate
Don't think you'll regret the Taichi. I picked one up and love it (even tho I was an Asus fanboy for the last decade).

Same here, I've always bought ASUS in the past but decided to get a Taichi, I love it too and would definitely consider Asrock again in the future. I think they got the design of the Taichi spot on.

Back
Top Bottom