• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
3.6 GHz with 16 cores is insane, I wonder what the TDP of that chip is? But yeah, it'll be mega bucks.
As Curls points out the only competing Intel CPU is a 2.3Ghz base clock Xeon that costs £2800.

If the AMD one is even half that price we have a real winner, considering AMDs base clock is Intel's Boost clock.

They also have that 12c 24t CPU as well.

It looks very promising seeing such a high core count at decent clock speed.

Associate
As Curls points out the only competing Intel CPU is a 2.3Ghz base clock Xeon that costs £2800.

If the AMD one is even half that price we have a real winner, considering AMDs base clock is Intel's Boost clock.

If that's true and they can achieve those frequencies, all they need now is to stabilize the platform and iron all the hiccups/bugs.

Soldato
If that's true and they can achieve those frequencies, all they need now is to stabilize the platform and iron all the hiccups/bugs.

Exactly, and seeing engineering samples run at those speeds is extremely promising.
It seems AMDs CCX design is fantastic for creating these big multi core processors.

It's certainly cheaper and easier so fab smaller CCXs the one massive 16 core die.

I do wonder what the I/O will be like. Naples has 128 PCIe lanes and 8 channel memory.

Even if these processors only have half that you're looking at one hell of workstation, if price is handled as well as RyZen was.

Soldato
AMD is posting patches for the Raven Ridge APUs, and this is for the GPU part of it.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMDGPU-Raven-Enablement

This is getting interesting quickly!

Alex Deucher of AMD has posted the initial AMDGPU DRM/KMS kernel driver patches for bringing up graphics on the next-generation "Raven" APUs.

Raven Ridge is expected later this year as the first Zen-based APUs. These DDR4-supported Zen APUs are expected for release in Q4 but there have been some indications it might happen a bit earlier. Raven Ridge graphics make use of AMD's new Vega architecture, which an APU in the form of Zen+Vega should be quite exciting if the price and performance are on point.

While Vega has already been enabled in AMDGPU, the Raven (Ridge) support published today adds in 314,946 lines of code across 117 patches. The vast majority of the new code though (almost 200k LOC) is in the form of header files for the registers.

Soldato

Oh I'm sure it'll be much cheaper than the Intel equivalent (and I'm also sure Intel's pricing will continue to be defended by some on this forum regardless) but it's still expensive for us lowly home users. :D

I remember reading that CCX performance and latency was something AMD wanted to improve with Zen+, although I assume that won't happen for Naples until after this first round of chips is released.

Soldato
3.6 GHz with 16 cores is insane, I wonder what the TDP of that chip is? But yeah, it'll be mega bucks.
The 1700 has a TDP of 65W so assuming that it is 2 of those stuck together probably around 130W. The equivalent intel part is 115W. Looks like AMD is going to be really competitive. Considering the profit margins they are going to make quite a lot of money.

Soldato
Different strokes for Different folks, I am more interested in the Tambourine sample they have really cranked up the base core on that sample compared to the initial one - It would be awesome to have any predictions at all as to how good the Graphics bit is.

If they are going to beat there Q4 prediction on APU's they might possibly have some laptops coming out in time for the back to school market? That would be a massive coup if the performance on the APU's is good enough.

Though the fact that they are coming to market with Server parts that look that good is awesome news for competition at all levels of the CPU market.

Acer and Dell on board is also great news.

Back
Top Bottom